Dodge WC-1 saved from the crusher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I saw this truck when I was driving in the middle of nowhere for work, and it hadn't looked like it had been moved for a very long time. So I figured out who lived there and sent a letter inquiring about the old dodge, months latter I got a call out of the blue by the owner and I set up a time take a look at it. After meeting up with the old guy and him showing me the truck he told me I could just have it if I could put it to good use. Now I have always loved the look of these trucks so I told him I would come back and take it home. So 4 days later I picked it up and now its sitting in my driveway. It was kinda spur of the moment and I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it. Any ideas?

I've always loved the old Power Wagons! A build could go a lot of ways depending on your needs or wants.

Yeah right now I'm kinda thinking maybe diesel or propane with a 5 speed so I can actually drive it on the road at a decent speed. I'm kicking the idea around about making an extended cab or quad cab if I can find another cab.

Well I finally got off enough of the paint on the hood to figure out the number and it appears to be W-26083 which would make this a WC-1. I ended up scooping out a garbage bag full of mouse poop and dirt and then power washed it. It still smelled like mouse urine so I hosed it down with bleach. I measured the head which turned out to be 25" and the number on the block starts with a C45 so it must either be a 237 or a 251 not sure which.

Send the old man a Christmas card because you got a great deal. You're going to spend money, you know that, but what a great vehicle to start with. I have a '51 M37 and love it. If you would like some links to good websites let me know. good candidate for a 4bt.

Here's a good site if you haven't been there yet...POWER WAGON PAGE

Last edited:
Remember the axle ratio is something like 5.83, so you will need to change them the only option 4.89 if you what to get above 50 MPH.

I was actually in the market for an M37 but luckily this guy called me up before I spent all my money. I felt kinda bad picking this up for free and I even offered to pay him a few times but he sad he wouldn't even take $1 for it.

Thanks for the link, can never have to many when your searching for parts on these older vehicles.

I thought these pickups were already 4.89 and the M37s were 5.83 gears.

They might be 4.89, I was just guessing they were the same as mine. Better check to make sure.

Here's mine....

IMG_1273.JPG

That's a beautiful truck you got there. Is the drivetrain all stock? I was looking for some tires like that I would be interested in where you got them from. Yeah I think the half tons all had 4.89 gears.

Not all stock, 4 wheel disc brakes and power steering. I bought the tires off a dealer in OK., but they are pretty rare now. 11-16's.

Yeah all I can find is the 9.00r16 millitary take offs from Canada. Yeah I'll probably end up doing those upgrades as well, I really want to be able to drive this thing in the road.

So a previous owner decided to plate the front of the frame which covered the Vin number so I set off to cut it off. I was worried that the pitman arm would be impossible to get off since I couldn't get a puller on it because the gap had been taken up by the steel plate. Luckily with a pry bar I was able to get it to wiggle off. I always forget how much I hate cutting metal with a grinder but was reminded again as the cut off disc caught and shoot the grinder out of my hands with the spinning disc hitting me in the knuckle before the ground. Luckily I was wearing gloves this time and was just a minor cut.

So it looks like they drove this thing pretty hard, the frame is cracked on both sides alittle behind the front crossmember.

I cut a "window" in the scab plate on my FJ55 frame in order to see the vin. I added power steering and wanted to beef the frame.

Yeah I will probably have to do something along those lines too as I would like power steering on this truck. I just couldn't leave the plate they had as it was very poorly done and I wasn't sure where on the frame the Vin number was. What kind of power steering box/kit did you use for your M37?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom