"Expedition" 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

First off, sorry for the late posting of this thread, I had it in my mind that there was one going already somehow...

Ok, so as discussed in the meetings thus far, we will be having this years expedition in the Tofino area~ over the BC Day long weekend.

Dates: Friday, August 3rd -------> Monday, August 6th
( Thursday Night I will be camping close to the meeting location for anyone who wants to join)

Meeting Location: Mcdonalds, 3990 Johnston Rd, Port Alberni, BC, V9Y 5N5
Friday @ 10am (up for discussion)

Schedule:

-FRIDAY: Meet at scheduled location full of fuel, food and booze, depart from Alberni and head west. Henderson was such a nice spot last year that I thought we would go there first. There are many routes into the Nahmint/Henderson area, so lets make it a race, everyone for themselves :steer:. or enjoy each others company / dust and find some wicked spots along the way!

-SATURDAY: From Henderson we will carry on west, Snow Creek main takes us along the south side of Sprout Lake and reconnects with Highway 4. along Highway 4 there are a number of Logging roads that take off and head every which way. one in particular I thought we would try is right near the summit of Suttons Pass. some spotty Facebook knowledge leads me to believe there is a nice river campsite North of the Highway. There is also apparently a cabin worth checking out up in the hills on the opposite side that is only accessible a couple month of the year due to snow.
Mapbooks will be out on Friday night planning Saturday.

-SUNDAY: Rise and shine from whatever location we end up at and yes....carry on West. We'll push down to Kennedy Lake and either head North or south. North will eventually lead us to Virgin Falls, along the way we pass Kennedy Lake, Muriel Lake and then follow Tofino inlet to the falls. Berryman Cove in a nice spot to stay, an old Log sort, now somewhat abandoned makes for flat camping, oceanfront, and relatively warm water. Issues with this area is how busy it may be over the long weekend, but its worth a shot.
South takes us towards toquart Bay/salmon beach/Barkeley Sound. we can also head past toquart bay and up to Toquart lake possibly. I've never been up that way but have always wanted to.

-MONDAY: Official end to the trip, head away when you see fit. I have that entire week off and am currently heading North towards Cape scott as a tentative end point, though may spend some time in the Campbell River/woss Area. Anyone is Welcome to carry on the trip with me for however long.

Items to Bring:
-Radios (if you do not own one there are plenty of spares)

-ample food for yourself
-Beer, this should have been first on the list
-Rain Gear, I know its august, but its also the west coast
-Extra Fuel
-Tools
-Excitement
-A Landcruiser
-Good Music

If there's something I've missed or you're questions you may have, post it up!

Cheers
Lachlan

Last edited:
Some rowdy good spots up in the toquart lake area and good fishing. Could probably fit at least 8 cruisers up at the lake access site. Havent gone fully up from there but i have heard there is lots more to explore. Last up there a month ago and they were blasting and logging but still open to public. Ill confirm when i know i got the time off!

Can I get a role call of people meeting up Friday?

Possible change of plans on Friday to get more people together at once. What are everyone's thoughts on leaving Nanaimo as a group? Making Nanaimo the meeting point and departure time push back to around 12pm?
Issue I see if simply the fact that it is the long weekend and finding a spot earlier could be better.

Looking like a good number of us in Nanaimo will be there.. Jim, Mathew and friend,Johny H, Shayd,.

We are bringing our roof top tens, fresh ground coffee makers, maybe a latte machine along with some sparkling bottled water..Might make a crepe along the way. Everyone should have a very expensive fridge on board for extended overlanding.;):moon:

Changed the meeting time in alberni to 10 am

Good Times on the 2018 Over-Island Rally!

A bunch of the members met up the morning after Ryan's party at my place so we could convoy up together. It really made the trip a lot of fun. A few of us had to book out today and made our way back home today, cannot wait to hear all about phase 2 of the operation... I can certainly say that this was truly one of the best VI-Cruiser Expeditions ever! This had to be a new record for the most vintage Land Cruisers assembled in once place, especially 70 series. I think it was all 60 & 70 series cruisers, and one RHD 61 affectionately named the Forest Limmo. (It even has working air!)

Such epic scenery, great side road explorations and good quality wheeling, lots of cruiser talk and catching up on what we all have been up to since our last years run made this a trip to remember. This year I saw a lot of wildlife including Grouse, V.I. Marmot, Bears, a few Deer, Eagles and numerous small black chipmunks. Its rumored someone saw a Sasquatch cross right in front of their cruiser late last night, but we have not officially confirmed this story. Once again it was really good seeing everyone again this year and meeting some new faces too.
I want to send a special thanks to Rob for making us all laugh so hard when you turned yourself into toilet paper man! You got a great sense of humor :moon: And a thanks to Shayd for running down to catch the first ferry over from the mainland. Good work Graham and the gang for their bush fix on his old 60 too! One of the dinner highlights was when Rob made smashed hamburgers, that was a first for everyone who tried one, and the word is out that they tasted great! Nice touch on the gourmet chipolata mayo too Rob, this might end up being a yearly tradition.

Sunny and warm both days too! Will post a few photos now...Looking so forward to the 2019 trip!!
B.jpg
C.jpg
D.jpg

E.jpg

IMG_20180802_193742.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom