New To Me LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I recently after about two years of looking and saving pulled the trigger on a 96 lx450. I recently moved back to the mainland from Oahu, and have been looking for a 80 for ages. I'm currently living in Denver, and would love to meet up with some people and find some trails, and wrench.

I was lucky to find a already baselined, and well taken care of rig. Here is a picture of the first trail we did, the Switzerland Trail in Nederland. It's amazing how capable this trucks are stock, even with the soft suspension.

New door trim moulding goes in tomorrow, I have already added a scan gauge. I'm considering having Slee install a OME lift, but I do have experience in building cars. I'm just concerned about the caster bushing install. I'm stoked to be apart of the community mud and in Colorado.

Thanks!
image1-4.jpeg
image2-4.jpeg

Hey,

Sent you a pm on some local clubs. If you've built cars, I bet you could do suspension on an 80 without issue. Also, I would consider buying a castor plate setup rather than bushings, as aftermarket bushings have a reputation of failing much quicker than OEM. Which OME lift are you going with?

I just did a complete suspension change-out in my driveway in about 8 hours with a floor jack and hand tools, and I'm slow.

I had done extended brake lines 4 years prior in preparation, so I did not have to do that part this time. You can do it!

Use factory Toyota bushings and do caster plates from Wit's End. (@NLXTACY )

Hey,

Sent you a pm on some local clubs. If you've built cars, I bet you could do suspension on an 80 without issue. Also, I would consider buying a castor plate setup rather than bushings, as aftermarket bushings have a reputation of failing much quicker than OEM. Which OME lift are you going with?

Thanks for the pm, and I was thinking of going with the 2.5 with heavy in the front and medium in the rear. I want to hide a winch behind my stock bumper, as there are so many build trucks here in Colorado and like the stealth ness of it.

Rust free in CO? Congrats on the nice find! Don't u dare take her off-road again:flipoff2:

Haha, yes it is rust free. Originally a Texas and New Mexico truck. I think it’s been here for a few years only.

Any recommendations for rust proofing? I thought about durabak on the wheel wells and on the cladding, but that is way down the road of mods.

I'm staying in my corner on this one. They rust from the top down where I live. (touchy subject for me)

Quick question regarding proper time frame on the current mods I have in store. I want to do a OME or similar lift 2.5", I was told to get the caster plates instead of buying the bushings from OME. I also want to hide a 12k winch behind the stock front bumper, and go with 33" tires. Do I need the heavy spring rate up front with just the 85lb 12k winch attached? I don't plan on being that heavy in the future.

My thought process is as follows:

1. Lift
2. Winch
3. tires and alignment

I want to get these all done asap, and then just go with durabak on the front and back bumper and cladding. Then, I'm off to have some fun!

I have installed the winch on mine FIRST before adding a the lift, but that was because of what I was able to get in order of a good deal in a time frame. (I run 33's)

I have now installed the heavies on the front (of mine, but I will be doing a heavier bumper as well in the future.

If you like a slightly softer ride, go with the Mediums. The heavies are pretty stiff and give a more truck-like feel.

I have heavies all the way around, but I have a wheelchair lift with a swingout on it that I have on all the time and that eases the harshness of the heavies a bit.

Also your shocks have a LOT to do with how it feels. The OME shocks are matched to their suspension, but they are also notoriously more stiff than the stock shocks.

The heavier wheels and how much armor you have will determine spring rate and shock type as well as what you will use it for. If a lot of flexing, sty with softer springs. If load carrying for over-landing, go stiffer.

I have installed the winch on mine FIRST before adding a the lift, but that was because of what I was able to get in order of a good deal in a time frame. (I run 33's)

I have now installed the heavies on the front (of mine, but I will be doing a heavier bumper as well in the future.

If you like a slightly softer ride, go with the Mediums. The heavies are pretty stiff and give a more truck-like feel.

I have heavies all the way around, but I have a wheelchair lift with a swingout on it that I have on all the time and that eases the harshness of the heavies a bit.

Also your shocks have a LOT to do with how it feels. The OME shocks are matched to their suspension, but they are also notoriously more stiff than the stock shocks.

The heavier wheels and how much armor you have will determine spring rate and shock type as well as what you will use it for. If a lot of flexing, sty with softer springs. If load carrying for over-landing, go stiffer.

Awesome info, I do plan on going with a more overland style usage. That being said, I hate the body roll on this thing, and will be driving it mostly daily.

I do plan on being loaded up with camping and climbing gear in the rear so maybe the heavies will be needed. Has anyone run heavies with almost stock weight around town, and then loaded up for trips? If so how bad is the ride, especially at highway speeds. I'm not thinking of going fast, just want a minimal vibration, and cruisey feel.

If you plan on being loaded heavy for trips, add Airlift air bags for the extra weight only when needed. Go with mediums in the rear.

You can get by with heavies in the front, but heavies in the rear will beat you pretty hard with no weight in it. I have a friend that bought the heavies all the way around and he replaced the rears with mediums to make it easier to deal with. I have his heavies in the rear of mine now, because of all the weight I carry daily. I still have the airbags, but not sue if I really need them yet.

I have the Airlift bags in mine (had them on the original springs) and they are great! $90 from Summit Racing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom