1999 Land Cruiser alternator failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Well, this will be an anticlimactic welcome post. Picked up my first 100 series 6 days ago, a 1999 Land Cruiser. Today, it lost power. Wifey was driving it in a residential area and it flickered and died. No charge, starter just clicked. Ate up most of the afternoon. Now it's at the dealership (I know, I know); had it towed.

I'm thinking it's a bad alternator. I was able to jump start the car (with help) but only got up the hill before it died again at a stop sign. Rolled it to a safe spot and had it towed. Has an older Toyota Truestart battery which I was hoping was the issue, but it seems to have enough juice, it wasn't run down below normal levels.

Rig's been great otherwise. I'm just glad this didn't happen tomorrow, when we were on a planned road trip!

Anyone else have issues with their alternator? This rig has 166k.

Still planning on doing an official build post as soon as I have time...

MACO1kFl.jpg

fjV9fBFl.jpg

Due to battery working then going dead, it could be a bad cell in battery. It may show good then show bad. If battery light is coming on then probably alternator but my money is on bad battery.

As a tow truck driver, I pray they put dollies under the front tires being it's a AWD!

Well shoot ... it was towed that way for maybe 2 Miles. Totally skipped my mind. Have I totally screwed the pooch here!?!

As long as he put the T-case in neutral and trans in neutral. it should be okay for a SHORT distance. Hopefully he was a smart one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom