Is this the manifold tick, and will headers fix it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

We bought the LX with the manifold tick which went away after warming up.

On our trip to Taos, Moab, Vegas and Tucson the tick is now there even when warmed up.

Does this 100% sound like the manifold tick and also, will getting headers get rid of the tick?

Also maybe add a bit of power now that we're on slightly larger tires...

It 's time to replace your exhaust manifold (s). A common thing for + 100K mile 100s (that'd be most of them:hmm:).

I doubt you'll see much a power gain with headers. Maybe with a S/C, headers, exhaust, etc...

I'd go with new OE manifolds. Good opportunity for some other PM knocked out while you're in there.

:)

Thanks!

Was just thinking for $400 or so more I could get headers that might not redevelop the crack like the OEM manifolds.

???

Labor sucks for this job, shop will charge close to a grand to put both in.

Got a great shop in town that charged $250 without parts to switch from ach to traditional and $60 with parts to change out a leaky power steering line.

Asked them about the headers, but might also ask a very mechanically inclined friend to do it. He has done a ton of work on some of our older toy cars :)

Go with the DT headers with factory studs and gaskets for 300 more and never worry about it again. There is a thread on here with dyno numbers of 20 horsepower gains with the headers alone. Its a no brainer.

Put your ear to the fender well with hood closed. If you hear the pop, pop, pop king of tick, you've likely a cracked exhaust flange.
Drive on HWY with/along concert wall on same side, do you still hear it.
Have someone drive away while you stand at curb, do you hear the pop, pop ,pop.

But be advised a gasket leak will sound similar, so will a loose spark plug.

I like to get a smoke test done to pin point.
Or
Use soapy water on cold engine while pressurizing exhaust pipe with HP air.

Pinpoint leak before work begins can save time and $.

You can scratch off spark plug being loose due to the fact that it goes away after warm up. 95% of these ticking noises are the exhaust manifolds leaking due to the holes created by poor welds and super thing manifold material. I havnt heard of anyone saying they had a bad gasket. Anything is possible though and you are right about saving time AND money. Im dreading doing mine and I was a tech for 10 years...

Put your ear to the fender well with hood closed. If you hear the pop, pop, pop king of tick, you've likely a cracked exhaust flange.
Drive on HWY with/along concert wall on same side, do you still hear it.
Have someone drive away while you stand at curb, do you hear the pop, pop ,pop.

But be advised a gasket leak will sound similar, so will a loose spark plug.

I like to get a smoke test done to pin point.
Or
Use soapy water on cold engine while pressurizing exhaust pipe with HP air.

Pinpoint leak before work begins can save time and $.

Thanks guys :)

Really been enjoying the truck, only issue is the tick. Will probably end up turning it into a bit more aggressive build and buy a '10-12 for driving around. Kind of got the bug hard now...

Will probably go with the DT headers (~$600) and see if my buddy will do the install.

Just did over 3500 miles from Austin to the desert and elevations and it did great.

Here's my wife driving Tower Arch in Moab:

IMG_20180710_123707201.jpg

36946960_10106387637984367_2335138255290236928_o.jpg

37219844_10106399952530917_5614055265608400896_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom