Broke rear wiper arm stud sheared - how to fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bad News:
Over-torqued the rear wiper arm not. Sheared the rear wiper bolt while re-indexing the rear wiper arm. Then even managed to scratch up the paint for good measure.

Good News(?)
The wiper technically works & is stuck on there pretty good. That's because I think the wiper motor's bezel teeth aren't mated properly to the arm's teeth.

Going forward I plan to just leave as-is & see what happens. I'll even use the damn thing.

Anyone else have a better idea?

This is why I can't have nice things! :bang:

mM1YXkIknDTVGrVe-PSYo9c0VIPRGhiVm8XiODcCIDTuk-VTFtyNqN5cecwwN5dFmjeUGD39ycO6sZBHi1b6DUfw82ARjs8No2d6gojWo8cTE7mYRTyN6JPjnHYYOietX28NcIIAmdDC8VRu0Y_g-Tkla3spVTzea-WaIv9m7nJRTganGaPJqUYW16-Cc_wyeJEbFRYXwA_xfeePWkhWIyiKuWO1YS6QhwwJdTaETwJNcwYTirCu5EpaB_f-zV1cPC19xfwfZpQL_WVQxxMpyihi1LoOnGgv_RTdEARZcsA0mDKZKFA-P3R3qs2NJ6WWZVIBYyyqyNuA4xQCk77igawe4NR4upW78L4gA8muXz74_TdyVmdMsBYI9bY1Hj_4qJLjZ5ds_9ir0xs3nCaQ00Ayys_YUUFEFOtXkXssZkHOI4Hq_rY5PH4IzLfCfhqG-FQAkAloGZjCxvakzODZHLJkeBulEQRLangVQv4omzDVwDyLqc8xCjRWJXxm2-BcthPng_G6w9udmnuf4-OJ4N5iXUjHSkVRv0nbJBEZm51JehmNLwE5I3NLWUbmsI3Qy-Z2N3a9hGp6mossI5jFBRXgyOWGt2XG5QxDMAQ=w1170-h1560-no

Fxo_E4cU9YheTvuWUIjogLjh6JIqG1q-cssj4EokUY1mc7vwaaCnMHUTiF4tkue1XTZZnFSagpSZCUFxVJXawg-APGcyrFI8i9CCd81vysqABM9Yv3JK653WiYhfDCTPJwKJfpAXryGZyrc0wLRm0gBsUjIoRAbJxP_A6t6mqhHf6ySKzfBLFBOrabqEz-LCglUTLs9KK7LvZS7GNrzFW0gUNlbPR6H5_MoC82pSuuBPXeM5_NFBJa3qZV9CtQfA-iIX5XTuq0_aMmkKFXgn2TV4AcFpFlLCPIegMT2QHyGd8GQ8Pa5lzhNchJEo1ZFh1GCB1SZWuB2cs-zqwxEDKeDXDvGgmctMCSiRjxWBHUSC2Sx2jSmTmZaN5z9OeW9H4On9UBgNwmigjVKSyOd2RAWXt_RCoCWTX3IoyWsmwdrC_6rCuhgKlZsw1_urEzmyp-XhLomfhkINqx9f2plGFwfWXb5rwH7n2d-u39OWKIT7yXjWHWias82Qx5B7Iy0NOQ1nl4lN6vgtn9JndZ7_fbeLuIZ78VMzMJ4VvEeHDGxFmaRVNGxka5IzTlBKmrSe_FJpj7UNwbRYfwCYP0YmcZLdieLh46yYdO16zdw=w1170-h1560-no

You will have to replace the wiper link assembly to fix it. One good pull now and the arm will pop off.

85170-60090.

Roger that! Phew only a $130 mess up.

Roger that! Phew only a $130 mess up.

Bummer. Need to fix it though.

Going down 183 or I35 in the rain....you'll want to be able to see who is about to rear-end you!

I'd not let that wiper arm hand out back without the bolt. If you loose it, you'll have to spend more $$. I found a used one for $40 a while back because mine was bent up.

That sucks... what is this "re-indexing" you wax eloquently about kind sir?

My rear wiper arm gets moved below the window everytime I take it through the car wash. Letting it run a full wipe puts it right back where it's supposed to park. But I do worry about it not parking where it's supposed to eventually. I see lot's of 100's with the rear wiper parked below the glass.

Until you get it fixed....I suppose you could cross-pin it.

Drill through the body of the wiper arm and stud then tap in a roll-pin.

That sucks... what is this "re-indexing" you wax eloquently about kind sir?

You can adjust the bezel and wiper arm so that the wiper sits closer to factory spec. The FSM gives good guidance.

Bummer. Need to fix it though.

Going down 183 or I35 in the rain....you'll want to be able to see who is about to rear-end you!

Ha! Not to mention coming from 183S to MoPac S.

i just think it looks nicer without. The stud was stripped when I bought it. PLus dumping the motor and relay. Much like a worthless power antenna. Extra weight and electricals I can do without. Just my opinions.

Where did you get that hole plug??? Everything I can find is textured rubber, not smooth and paintable.

Any home/building supply company (Home Depot, Lowe's) will have a 'specialty' section with smooth plastic plugs. Usually found near the section where they keep nuts/bolts/washers.

I believe I ended up using the 30mm universal anodized dome shaped aluminum one from here, alloycarbon.com but I sanded it off and painted it. $15

I had a few to choose from, amazon and ebay. I can't remember but there was something funny on the underside behind the wiper, maybe it was concaved or convexed when I went to put it together. IT did not fit perfect on the back side, but it doens't leak, neoprene washers are in there also, maybe it was just hard to have one hand inside and another one holding the outside plug while you screw it in.
I suggest taking the wiper out and looking at the backside before, so you know exactly what your after.
home depot or lowes has nothing like that. The hole is too big, plastic won't hold water. I did look all over for an easier fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom