what year was the VVT engine put in the LX40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what year did Lexus first put the VVT engine in the LX470

When I was shopping for a new LC/LX in mid to late 2005, I waited for the 2006 model year, because I was told that the VVTI variant of the 2UZ-FE was coming in the 2006 model year. I had already been burned on a 2004 V8 4runner (2005 V8 4runners received the upgraded VVTI engine) and I wasn't going to make that mistake again.

It was my understanding that (for US models):
4Runner, GX470, Tundra, and Sequoia received the VVTI 2UZ-FE engine in 2005 (model year)
Land Cruiser and LX470 received the VVTI 2UZ-FE engine in 2006 (model year)
That being said, I have been corrected (on 'Mud) that this information is incorrect, and have been told that the VVTI was actually a mid-(model)year change on the 2005 LC/LX.

Last edited:
That being said, I have been corrected (on 'Mud) that this information is incorrect, and the VVTI was actually a mid-(model)year change on the 2005 LC/LX.

Can anyone support that assertion? It seems quite unlike Toyota to make a major engine change in the middle of a model year.

My understanding is 2006 model year. My 2006 LC has a build date of (06/2005), so it is a mid year 2005 built sold as a 2006 model year.

Thanks very much

Can you physically feel the power difference between two engines? I drove two back to back and did not feel any power gain.

I own a 1998 and a 2006. Both are stock - for now. Around town/city driving they are the same power wise. The 2006 is nicer on the highway. AHC in comfort setting is very smooth. The 5 speed and VVTi are noticable when cruising at 70 MPH and you need to pass. The 1998 is a bit less refined. Suspension not as smooth and engine and drivetrain is a bit more “buzzy”. Honestly I like driving the 1998 more than the 2006. Most of my driving is in the city or short highway trips. The 1998 is more truck like and manly. If I was doing a long drive I would take the 2006 just feels more refined. If the 2006 is a 100% for comfort and power on the highway the 1998 would be a 90%. Really close in my opinion. I think the biggest difference is in the AHC suspension. Without that option the comparision would be even closer like 95% to 90%.

When accelerating in the city it's torque that you feel more so than horsepower. Torque is closely correlated to displacement which of course remained at 4.7 liters. So torque remained fairly stable starting at 320 ft. lbs increasing only 8 ft lbs to 328 in 2007. But the truck gained almost 200 pounds of weight over the 10 year period. So torque per pound of truck was actually greater on the earlier models.

Can anyone support that assertion? It seems quite unlike Toyota to make a major engine change in the middle of a model year.
Even though mid- May 2005 was introduction of VVT , I dont know of any 2005 UZJ100 in USA that got one. May/June time frame would more likely be when next model year would begin production.

My understanding is 2006 model year. My 2006 LC has a build date of (06/2005), so it is a mid year 2005 built sold as a 2006 model year.

This makes sense

Sorry Andrew, not trying to push your button.;) Well maybe a little!

We saw a 2005 VVT for sale in SoCA not long ago, linked in mud. Many thought sellers asking price was nuts, but they failed to see it's rarity as a 2005 w/VVTi. The CL ad is down so we can no longer look. But I did when it was for sale and was very interested in it. As I recall it sold pretty fast.

If you look in www.partsouq.com and pick a USA model (here's a 2007) then search parts like the intake gasket. You'll see May 05-.

Production cycles end and begin in June for most years.
:deadhorse:

Sorry Andrew, not trying to push your button.;) Well maybe a little!

We saw a 2005 VVT for sale in SoCA not long ago, linked in mud. Many thought sellers asking price was nuts, but they failed to see it's rarity as a 2005 w/VVTi. The CL ad is down so we can no longer look. But I did when it was for sale and was very interested in it. As I recall it sold pretty fast.

If you look in www.partsouq.com and pick a USA model (here's a 2007) then search parts like the intake gasket. You'll see May 05-.

Production cycles end and begin in June for most years.
:deadhorse:

Its cool Paul, I dont dispute your knowledge or what the seller claimed or thought they were selling. I just havent seen one yet nor have I noticed evidence of one ( no owners posting ) here on the 100 forum ( a forum with 28,000 discussions and 463,000 posts :grinpimp:)

One thing I do know, if it exists you’ll find it and buy it. But you cant call it a Unicorn since that was your last one. 05 100 series in CONUS; would have to be named: Nessy (Loch Ness):cheers:

Actually seller didn't even claim VVT as I recall. I saw picture of engine. Looked like throttle wire block on LH side, which was only in the VVT IINM.

A few hour ago a thread popped up asking if OP had correct headers. Seems DT sent him 05-07 series 100 headers, stating VVT application.

See, I read all 463,000 posts:eek:

Here’s a relevant thread on performance differences albeit subjective.

VVT-i Engines

Here’s a relevant thread on performance differences albeit subjective.

VVT-i Engines

That thread sort of epitomizes the problem - a remarkable number of people don't understand that model year production typically begins the previous summer, often June, but sometimes before that or after that. My LX was produced in August 1998 so should have been a 1999 model but it's a 98 - i.e. 1998 on the title, W in the VIN.

Actually seller didn't even claim VVT as I recall. I saw picture of engine. Looked like throttle wire block on LH side, which was only in the VVT IINM.

A few hour ago a thread popped up asking if OP had correct headers. Seems DT sent him 05-07 series 100 headers, stating VVT application.

It's quite common that a vendor would refer to production date rather than model year, especially a vendor with an international customer base. Some countries don't even have the concept of a model year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom