Builds '86 Grand Wagoneer build, wife's rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy once, cry once...isn't that the idiom that's supposed to console your conscious?

This Zero Gravity Performance 6L80E kit for Gen II GM motors arrived this week. Got the electronic shifter coming soon too. Now it's time to decide on which tcase is hanging off this beast. Need something 32 spline, driver drop.
RFQ for ArchSvsc- VSB-126
Gen I and II Chevrolet and Buick Engine 6L80E/6L90E 6 Speed Conversion Kit - Zero Gravity Performance - https://www.zerogravityperformance.com/product/gen-1-2-gm-engine-6l80e-6l90e-6-speed-conversion-kit/
IMG_6417.JPG

SFT5000
GM 6 Speed 6L80E 6L90E 8L90E Floor Mounted TAP Shifter - https://www.zerogravityperformance.com/product/gm-6-speed-6l80e-6l90e-8l90e-floor-mounted-tap-shifter/
SFT-5000.JPG

Last edited:
It's been a month of not much time in the garage, but got the rear main seal replaced. Kind of a PITA compared to when I replaced the rear main in my 1GR-E. Then re-installed the flexplate.

IMG_6838.JPG

IMG_6839.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

Man, it must be fun being an ace mechanic and having a big garage with a lift. Cool truck, build, and history of your wife's long time ownership.
Just don't be surprised if some people develop misconceptions about you, with wife driving this model. They might come your way looking to buy some blue meth. :D (Breaking Bad, right?)

Well, thanks for the kind words, but "ace" is a bit generous. I lean on my friends for a lot of advice, and just wing it the rest of the way. Not afraid to tear something down and rebuild it - been doing that since I got my first button-click ballpoint pen as a kid (had to see how it worked!). And the garage is actually ACC's who has been a friend to me since their inception.

Yeah, we were kind of laughing about the Waggy in BB when we first saw it. I think we're going to keep the patina on this one, so it won't look so polished. The main goal with the body is to make it water proof again. Roof and sunroof leak, as do the big cargo windows in the back. The tailgate glass doesn't lower from the dash switch right now either. Lot's left to do even after I get her running again.

Test fitted the 6 speed this past weekend. Looks like everything is going to fit with no banging on the floor pan.
IMG_7013.JPG

Spoke to Advance Adapters about the appropriate tailhousing and they suggested this one to mount our NP208. Once I get the tailhousing adapter, I can fab up a new cross-member.
50-9600.jpg

Of course the tcase as it sits is 23 spline input, so at the advice of the sales tech at AA, I called Transfer Case Express and they shipped me a new 32 spline input gear for $60 door to door.
IMG_7050.JPG

Sweet Christmas! It's been far too long since I've done anything with this project. I've been too busy base-lining my rig for a trip out west in a few weeks. I did get the tail-housing adapter ordered. Next paycheck will pay for the NP208 rebuild kit. I'll start tearing the tcase down for rebuild once we get back from our adventure.

Sorry for those that are following, for such a sucky update.

That 6 speed behind that V8 is going to be SO nice!

Nice work!

I see you passive-aggressively prodding for updates.

We had some personal tragedy in the family that needed immediate attention during the holiday break and that was when I had planned to put the t-case back together. I got the new input gear installed, easy-peasy. And I had ordered the replacement NP208 chain before Xmas as a present for my wife. The vendor contacted me shortly after ordering (I know one of the co-owners of this company) and told me they were currently out of stock, but were going to have some made locally very soon.

I then reached out to my network on east & west coast for another option. They all had great leads, but the vendors just didn't have the right style chain on hand. I may just throw the original chain back in for now and get this sucker going. It's been too long.

Apparently I'm looking for part number HV014 on the chain. Found some online sources using this part #, going to do some more checking before plopping down some $$, but looking like some light at the end of the tunnel.

Found the parts I need at Cobra Transmissions. Their site is hard to search, so I found someone who would chat with me on their FB page.
Got these
NP 208, Fork Insert Kit [331840K] - $1.99 : , Cobra Transmission
and the chain on the way.
NP 208, Chain [HV-014] - $89.99 : , Cobra Transmission (outdated rocker pin style)
NP 208, Chain [HV-025] - $94.99 : , Cobra Transmission (newer roller pin style)

Well after a little more conversation with chat help, it turns out the HV014 style chain is superceded with the HV025 chain. The only difference being the 14 is a rocker style pin and the 25 is a roller pin style. Visually & mechanically, the rocker style pin is a stiffer chain that does not bend back on itself. The roller pin style has same drive/mesh properties but is more flexible and can roll back on itself. Pics sort of show what I mean.
Parts-NP208-Transfer-Box-Chain-014.JPG

NP-208-Chain-Transfer-Case-Round-Pins-36-Links.JPG

Last edited:
Does Kat know you're using the Egyptian cotton towels to soak up trans fluid :)

Can't wait to see her in person, maybe sooner than later :cool:

Praise Jeebus! Tcase nearly buttoned up. This pesky needle bearing on the new input gear wasn't fully seated and drove me nuts. It wouldn't allow the main shaft to fully seat. All good now.

I like my color coordinating speedo worm gear.

Got the heavy lifting out of the way and things went way smoother than expected.

First I dropped the trans from where I had it test fitted (ie, held in by two bolts and a cargo strap). Then filled the new torque converter with Dextron3 and got it keyed up.
Trans2018-19 (84).JPG

Trans2018-19 (85).JPG

Then I discovered that the frame rails have a second set of mounting points for the trans crossmember. I wedge it back in and sure enough, the second position is perfect for this new transmission tail housing.
Trans2018-19 (89).JPG

Trans2018-19 (91).JPG

The stock transmission mount was a ridiculous piece of 60's engineering that never evolved, so off to the scrap pile. My plan was to upcycled some shock bushings to create a new tail housing mount. I just had to drive a couple more holes in the cross member. I think it turned out pretty well.

The arm that sticks out the right is an additional exhaust mount, but I'm just going to forego it.
Trans2018-19 (92).JPG

Trans2018-19 (95).JPG

Trans2018-19 (100).JPG

Trans2018-19 (101).JPG

Looking good. I just got my Wagoneer back, converted to the Holley Sniper system. Love it so far, and was a pretty easy conversion In case you were considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom