1980 Toyota Pickup Radio Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
Threads
Hey guys!

My 1980 Pickup has the stock radio in it but it doesn't work. I'd like to get some music going in that thing but I also don't want to cut up the dash - it's in way too nice of shape. Anybody know any radios that will fit in the slot without any cutting/modification?

Also I may be interested in trading mine for one that's already been cut - as long as it's been done cleanly and you throw in the radio :D

Let me know! Any and all help would be appreciated.

The chassis in those is quite narrow and there is metal bracing behind that would also have to be cut out to put a standard DIN radio in there. It takes quite a bit of hacking and rarely comes out nicely. If you don't want to chop up the dash, and I hope you don't, you could go with s remote mount chassis with a remote control. Just leave the dead OEM radio in the dash.

The chassis in those is quite narrow and there is metal bracing behind that would also have to be cut out to put a standard DIN radio in there. It takes quite a bit of hacking and rarely comes out nicely. If you don't want to chop up the dash, and I hope you don't, you could go with s remote mount chassis with a remote control. Just leave the dead OEM radio in the dash.

Thanks for the reply cruiserdan! I would never cut this dash, I'm too much of a purist myself. If anything I would like to install a shaft style radio with a cassette so that I can run my own music. I don't need any fancy USB nonsense and would like to try to keep my Yota like it would've been back in the 1980's. Do you know any shaft style radios that will fit?

What would be cool would be to find an AM/FM stereo chassis from a 78-81 Celica or Corolla or one from an 80/81 pickup. That would be a direct fit and all you need is speakers. For about 25 bucks you can get a decent cigarette lighter FM Bluetooth adapter and you tune the radio to 87.9 and connect your phone or Ipod.

Hey guys!

My 1980 Pickup has the stock radio in it but it doesn't work. I'd like to get some music going in that thing but I also don't want to cut up the dash - it's in way too nice of shape. Anybody know any radios that will fit in the slot without any cutting/modification?

Also I may be interested in trading mine for one that's already been cut - as long as it's been done cleanly and you throw in the radio :D

Let me know! Any and all help would be appreciated.
What would be cool would be to find an AM/FM stereo chassis from a 78-81 Celica or Corolla or one from an 80/81 pickup. That would be a direct fit and all you need is speakers. For about 25 bucks you can get a decent cigarette lighter FM Bluetooth adapter and you tune the radio to 87.9 and connect your phone or Ipod.

Is this What u are looking for ?

It measures 160 mm wide x 48 mm Tall

part# 86120-89118

DSCN7811.JPG
DSCN7812.JPG
DSCN7817.JPG
DSCN7821.JPG
DSCN7822.JPG

Ding, ding, ding, ding!

It even has the correct brackets.

Ding, ding, ding, ding!

It even has the correct brackets.

Hey cruiserdan, when RagingMatt tried to message me he said he couldn't find the message button on my profile. Does it show up for you?

Your private messaging is disabled. You will need to go into your privacy settings and turn it on.

Your private messaging is disabled. You will need to go into your privacy settings and turn it on.

Thanks cruiserdan! I went in and changed it so that members can message me. It should be fixed now.

Yup. I see the tab now:)

You could go without a head unit with a hidden system. Also there are companies that build vehicle specific OEM looking units with current technology.

I personally will use my phone/ipod corded or BT directly to my amp. In fact i started doing this way in the late 90s after killing 3 cd players in a year.

I have to fill the hole in my dash someday. I'd like the old style manual knob tuning scale (good for AM- I like to pull far stations). I'd probabby have to get one with a fader out of a car, since the 4Runner has a four speaker setup. Hook it up to a Bluetooth amp...

Check out retrosound they are on amazon.
I put one in my 76 fj40 a few years back no new hacking required

I don't remember the model, but it had adjustable knob locations.

I had to trim them to fit but you can't see it behind the dash
Retro Manufacturing HB-116-117-37-73 Car Radio

Link

Last edited:
I'm going to use my OEM radio that came in my Trekker.......it's a fancy Toyota digital one. We'll use it to run bluetooth which is all I really care about. This is how we'll do that: Out of Sight Audio Mark 3 Hidden Radio

For speakers, I'm bought some of these kick panels from www.toyotafiberglass.com I'll modify them as I need to for some speakers. Not really much of a stereo guy so as long as I can find some shallow speakers that fit and I can hide, I'll be happy.

IM001741.4.jpg
IM01768001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom