Caster Correction With Arms Off the Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dropped the bushings that came with an OME 2.5 lift kit off at a local lift shop this morning along with the Slee instructions and 2 spare control arms my friend gave me. They just called an hour ago saying they can push the bushings but have no way of ensuring that they are the correct angle for the truck because they don't have the plum-bob line how the truck sits as-is.

I've been doing research but can't find anything in the search bar or google that steps through pushing bushings on control arms that haven't been on my truck before. Does anyone have some useful suggestions or should I simply bite the bullet and let them pull the control arms from the truck and pay out for the arm install?

so they couldn't scrounge a string and a washer? if you have to head over to wits end and get the template...

so they couldn't scrounge a string and a washer? if you have to head over to wits end and get the template...
Does a string and washer work when the arm is off the truck already? I thought you needed to measure how the truck sits naturally?

Does the Wit's End template define an absolute angle of the bushings?

I had 4 wheel parts press mine in and they did a great job and weren't very expensive. they had a template already from OME. We then took my radius arms and used them as a template for a couple of other 80's. this isn't a hard job if you have the press, that is the most difficult part

go eagles.

You need a template - either the paper variety or an existing control arm with the correction bushings already installed. Or, mark the control arms currently on your 80, remove them and deliver to shop.

I had 4 wheel parts press mine in and they did a great job and weren't very expensive. they had a template already from OME. We then took my radius arms and used them as a template for a couple of other 80's. this isn't a hard job if you have the press, that is the most difficult part

go eagles.
Appreciate it, I'll give them a call today.

You need a template - either the paper variety or an existing control arm with the correction bushings already installed. Or, mark the control arms currently on your 80, remove them and deliver to shop.
Thanks, I was under the impression there could be a difference in angles between different cruisers.

I’ve been looking at this same issue. I think if you want absolute precision, plumb bob with the arms on the truck is the way to go. If you want it to be “close enough” then the template will work. I just ordered the template because I’m sure we’ll be doing more of these in the future.

I’ve been looking at this same issue. I think if you want absolute precision, plumb bob with the arms on the truck is the way to go. If you want it to be “close enough” then the template will work. I just ordered the template because I’m sure we’ll be doing more of these in the future.
Appreciate the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom