Anyone not happy with Tough Dog or Iron Man lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m new to the LC100 family after having a ‘98 Montero on 31s with a rear locker, a ‘97 TJ on 33s, and an ‘08 JKUR on 35s.

I bought in from the original owner with 220k miles. I'm not at all concerned about the mileage. I've already done a full t-belt job and all transmission/t-case/diff fluids.

The '08 JKUR was awesome off-road but suffered from December through April when we're buried in snow. Those huge, wide tires aren't great when you're trying to get around town in a blizzard.

The LC should be able to take me on some of the "easier" roads while still offering a good platform for a winter mountain car.

I’ve read a lot of the threads on here about some people loving and some people hating the OME 2.5 inch lift.

I won’t be adding any heavy bumpers, but I am looking for a little extra clearance for the 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx tires that I just added.

Based on some of the negative info that I’ve read, I was leaning toward Tough Dog or Iron Man lift kits.

Has anyone had any negative experiences with either brand?

I’ll be installing myself as I’ve done a body lift and susepension lift on my buddy’s TJ and I’ve done a suspension lift on an ‘01 WJ that I just got rid of.

I was thinking of a lift kit from one of those manufacturers and buying a diff drop separately.

I’m at 8000 feet in Colorado and know that I have Slee and Bior about 3 hours away.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Will Slee install shocks that he does not sell?

Subscribed...

I have the Ironman Nitro shock kit. It's fine for my needs. Sure you could always get more shock. I wanted the foam cell kit but picked mine up for cheap from another member.

I think it's really hard to get a good grasp of suspension from asking around. It's definitely a subjective topic. I'd try to link up with locals with different kits. You may even prefer the OME kit.

Good luck

Luis

I have been reading this forum for 4 years, I have yet to read anything bad about Ironman foam cell pro or Tough dog. Call @reevesci @ trail tailor and he will suggest you the best Tough dog setup for your needs. You won’t be disappointed

I have the tough dog setup and love it. Adjustable foam shocks in the back allow you to dial in the ride you want. Jason will steer you right.

I have the Tough Dog adjustable rears And pulled my 4k lb trailer 2000 miles to Silverton from Georgia and it rode great. I was able to dial in the shocks to were it felt like the camper wasn’t even there.

I got to Silverton and adjusted the shocks for the trails. I ran Black Bear, Imogene, and Poughkeepsie and it was amazing the way the shocks felt. Planted with a super ride.

On the highway again tonight with the shocks adjusted and it’s back to that awesome ride with the trailer in tow.

These shocks are like magic!

I have the Tough Dog adjustable rears And pulled my 4k lb trailer 2000 miles to Silverton from Georgia and it rode great. I was able to dial in the shocks to were it felt like the camper wasn’t even there.

I got to Silverton and adjusted the shocks for the trails. I ran Black Bear, Imogene, and Poughkeepsie and it was amazing the way the shocks felt. Planted with a super ride.

On the highway again tonight with the shocks adjusted and it’s back to that awesome ride with the trailer in tow.

These shocks are like magic!

Thanks for the comments L! I appreciate all the feedback. There are several dozen sets out now and quite a few will be at HIH this year. Pics from you guys when you can!

Jason

So glad you asked! I just finished installing the Tough Dog kit on my 100 tonight! Felt good on my initial test drive. Will be leaving in 1 day for two weeks off-roading in Mexico. I expect the Tough Dog kit will do just fine!

Oh -- in the first photo, That is the Tough Dog rear coil spring (in red) and adjustable rear shock. Compare it to the spring they are replacing, the Old Man Emu 2869 Coil spring (in black) -- for "medium load." I already like the feel of the Tough Dog springs better. You can see the how the red Tough Dog is 'tapered.' It's sitting on the tire upside down, and it is clearly fatter at the small end.

Also, my truck now sits about 0.75" taller in the rear with the Tough Dog springs -- approximately 38" from the ground to the fender with 33"tires. I have not yet installed the front torsion bars and bar support brackets; I'll do that next month after my aftermarket bumper + winch arrives.

20180716_194416.jpg

20180716_195328.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I had a good phone conversation with Jason about his Tough Dog product. I called Metal Tech and had a good conversion with John about Iron Man. Both lifts seemed similar with a lot of positive feedback. In the end I ordered the Iron Man as I figured if I was going to get the Tough Dog I would've opted for the adjustable rear shocks, which they were out of. I'll post up some before and after and comments after I get it put on. Thanks for your input.

Thanks for the replies. I had a good phone conversation with Jason about his Tough Dog product. I called Metal Tech and had a good conversion with John about Iron Man. Both lifts seemed similar with a lot of positive feedback. In the end I ordered the Iron Man as I figured if I was going to get the Tough Dog I would've opted for the adjustable rear shocks, which they were out of. I'll post up some before and after and comments after I get it put on. Thanks for your input.
Did you go with the Foam Cell Pros?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom