Aluminum to plastic manifold upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone upgraded their aluminum non-VVTI intake manifold to the newer plastic ones? Are there any performance/efficiency gains to be had by swapping it out?

Last edited:
I have a 2003 2UZ-FE with a aluminum intake , I also have a 2005 2UZ-FE with a black plastic intake

The 2005 is MUCH faster and quick out of the hole !

In my opinoin, the performance gains wouldn't be worth the durability trade off. I don't know what the lifespan of the plastic manifold is but I bet it's a whole lot less than the aluminum one!

The Million Mile Tundra had a 2UZ with the plastic manifold. I’m not worried.

I'd still stay aluminum, just polish it... I'm not trying to cover a million miles but I do want mine to last many years and think the Al is the way to go for long life and serviceability over time.

Bro, the 2005 has a VVT motor... of course it's going to be faster

vvt-i was a 2006 model year change.

source:
Toyota UZ engine - Wikipedia
Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

Also, if you search for a vvt actuator for an '06 LC, the catalog brings back part #13050-50021. The same search for an '05 LC, returns no such part.

I've read posts where people claim that some late '05 were equipped with variable camshaft timing, but haven't seen any evidence to support that on 100s sold in the US.

^^^ Correct but VVTI was 2005 for the Tundra... which is what's in Ragingmatt's signature.

It's my understanding the VVTi was introduced May 2005 in the 100 series. I see anecdotal evidence of this in parts list, also in speaking with my parts guy at Toyota. That some parts like intake manifold gasket is list for "May 05-. I've not personally seen, although did see a 2005 for sale out of SoCA (ad link into mud) and picture of 05 w/VVt. The picture of engine showed T-Body wire harness on LH side. Seems I've also read a post or two in mud of 2005 owners claiming VVTi (second post here being one).

The plastic manifold is pretty cool and has difference beyond being lighter (nice when replacing starter):
  1. The low-to-mid speed range torque is improved by increasing the length of the intake manifold port.
  2. The addition of a ACIS (Acoustic Control Induction System).
  3. The ACIS actuator actuates the intake air control valve that is used to change the intake pipe length to improve engine performance in all engine speed ranges. Source: History of 4.7L

Be interest to see how it would work without VVt heads, charcoal air box filter, updated throttle body with the newer wire harness, A/F & O2's, VVT ECM, VVT pistons, etc.

ACIS:
065.JPG

ACIS controls 8 butterfly valves across the top.
062.JPG
064.JPG

Last edited:
It's my understanding the VVTi was introduced May 2005 in the 100 series. I see anecdotal evidence of this in parts list, also in speaking with my parts guy at Toyota. That some parts like intake manifold gasket is list for "May 05-. I've not personally seen, although did see a 2005 for sale out of SoCA (ad link into mud) and picture of 05 w/VVt. The picture of engine showed T-Body wire harness on LH side. Seems I've also read a post or two in mud of 2005 owners claiming VVTi (second post here being one).
May 2005 was the production date. Slow boat to the US and in June 2005, Toyota introduced and sold the 2006 model year Land Cruiser. But, I believe it is possible a few late model year 2005 LC's were sold with VVT-i's. Production, part inventory and marketing are not always in sync.

May 2005 was the production date. Slow boat to the US and in June 2005, Toyota introduced and sold the 2006 model year Land Cruiser. But, I believe it is possible a few late model year 2005 LC's were sold with VVT-i's. Production, part inventory and marketing are not always in sync.
Would seem so. Be interesting to know how many of these 05 VVt's slipped through into USA markets

The idea of swapping manifold is and interesting one. But with the 98-02 the throttle body, will not bolt on it. Those also used a throttle cable, so swapping with the newer VVT throttle body would require extensive modification to operate it. I don't have a 03-05 throttle body or gasket around to check bolt patterns. But wire harness is on RH side on those (LH on VVT).

Fun thing to ponder, but not a practice or worthwhile project IMHO.

To swap in a VVT engine into the 03-05 would make more sense and maybe easier. It would require the newer exhaust manifold and duel CATs along with some electronics at minimum.

I can say I still love the older simpler system of my 01. But the power and sophistication of the VVT is cool. It has a sport car feel when you stomp on it, and goes over the mountain passes without need to be mindful of throttle and gearing.

Last edited:
Thanks for adding all this info @2001LC I was not aware of these minor intake changes before vvt came along.

I would also think it would be tough to get the actuator working right on an engine not otherwise equipped. Interesting idea for sure.

I have an 06 Sequoia that has a plastic intake mani, and just bought an 07, too, but it has an aluminum intake... What gives? Any ideas?

I have an 06 Sequoia that has a plastic intake mani, and just bought an 07, too, but it has an aluminum intake... What gives? Any ideas?
07 Sequoia or TLC? My first guess would be they replaced the engine with an older 2UZ?

My SEMA-SPEC. 2005 SUPER HILUX 4.7 has the black plastic intake and OH BOY she Flys .............

AD1B1908-1B70-45A6-BC7B-60B3B0D7CFF0.jpeg
EAA04493-8B21-481E-A909-D87FE7BBD2E7.jpeg
9FB300DF-A8CD-41F3-A4FC-AC758F23BE16.jpeg
2C02C4EF-1C20-4477-BAEB-21D9B1D9D3EC.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom