Installing Trail gear spindle nuts, preload? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a set coming, since you're replacing both of the stock nuts what technique do you use to set the preload?

Is there a torque value that people have found to work good?

Pre load go to 45 ft lens spin the hub both directions, then loosen do again then torque to 25-35 ftlbs. You will need new bolts for the lock bolts if your using a flange

Set preload the same as you would on stock. If they were going on mine, would be torqued to 35ft/lb.

Set preload the same as you would on stock. If they were going on mine, would be torqued to 35ft/lb.

same as stock here .. I went little bit up in and out coz my bigger tires .. ( which I know can be a debate on it's own )

Realize you may need to file the tongue that sets into the keyway on the spindle. Shorten the tongue a few thousandths.

Then when installing the ring with the holes in it, you may need to install both screws LOOSELY, then tape in the tongue part due to alignment.

They fit fine as long as they are each loose, but when going together, they interfere just enough to be a PITA. I fought my first one for 30 minutes before I figured out what mods had to be done.

There's another thread here about it. Search the TG part number for the thread.

Realize you may need to file the tongue that sets into the keyway on the spindle. Shorten the tongue a few thousandths.

Then when installing the ring with the holes in it, you may need to install both screws LOOSELY, then tape in the tongue part due to alignment.

They fit fine as long as they are each loose, but when going together, they interfere just enough to be a PITA. I fought my first one for 30 minutes before I figured out what mods had to be done.

There's another thread here about it. Search the TG part number for the thread.
They might have that fixed. I contacted TG after running into the problem. Explained in detail to one of their help desk techs, not a salesman. Hopefully no one else needs to mess with this. But, a good idea to be prepared.

They might have that fixed. I contacted TG after running into the problem. Explained in detail to one of their help desk techs, not a salesman. Hopefully no one else needs to mess with this. But, a good idea to be prepared.

Well, I just did my set in the last 60 days and still had to do it.

Hey all, thank you for your responses.
I was just doing this the other day & needed this info.
The tips about filing down the key way was very helpful.
Thank you.

ok cool, thanks for the replies
I went back to my notes and threads I was researching when adding this trail gear spindle nut mod. Looks like you might have to file tab length on both the locking ring and the thrust washer provided by Trail Gear. Here's a couple of pics for reference from this thread

img_0693-jpg.1684879

img_0694-jpg.1684880

img_0695-jpg.1684881

img_0698-jpg.1684882

Pics are woth a thousand words. I was able to take these after running into the problem on one side, before doing the other. I was doing an axle rebuild, so was able to get these clean shots with spindle still not installed on rig. You can refer to the above mentioned thread for furthur info. I hope this helps to avoid frustration when installing this mod.

... Looks like you might have to file tab length on both the locking ring and the thrust washer provided by Trail Gear.

... avoid frustration when installing this mod.

Some that we work on went to this when it first came out, so have some time on them. They work, but fitting/grinding, then the little screws rub on the drive plates, nice, replace with button heads. Have seen preload loss with these, same as stock. If the preload isn't set high enough, the bearings move, this movement wears the washer/spindle, further reducing preload, causing more wear, etc. Stock or this setup, most cases we see, the preload loss has happened without the nuts turning/adjustment changing, so the root cause is from insufficient preload.

Once we stepped up the preload, have little/no problems, even with the stock setup. Now see these as a fiddly solution looking for a problem to solve. As long as they are setup properly, the stock one work just fine, less fiddly, one less tool to carry, parts interchange with the others that I travel with, don't see the point of this "solution"?

Some that we work on went to this when it first came out, so have some time on them. They work, but fitting/grinding, then the little screws rub on the drive plates, nice, replace with button heads. Have seen preload loss with these, same as stock. If the preload isn't set high enough, the bearings move, this movement wears the washer/spindle, further reducing preload, causing more wear, etc. Stock or this setup, most cases we see, the preload loss has happened without the nuts turning/adjustment changing, so the root cause is from insufficient preload.

Once we stepped up the preload, have little/no problems, even with the stock setup. Now see these as a fiddly solution looking for a problem to solve. As long as they are setup properly, the stock one work just fine, less fiddly, one less tool to carry, parts interchange with the others that I travel with, don't see the point of this "solution"?
I have to agree with you, after installing my own. It slipped my mind about the included Allen head screws. I was warned and got the button heads you've mentioned and replaced them. I've been a long time believer in preload set correctly as you say. I've kept the original parts, plus the new washers that came in my kit from Cruiser Outfitters in case this mod doesn't live up to my expectations. What tool is specially carried for trail maintenance for this mod?

What tool is specially carried for trail maintenance for this mod?
I'd hazard a guess of an allen wrench. Wouldn't pertain to those who change out the screws. But still, the stock setup is easier to deal with.

Factory pre-load for wheel bearings (same for front and for rear hubs) is 43 ft-lb. When fitting the trail gear (or locktup 4x4 as it used to be sold as here in oz) spindle nut, it's fitted exactly like a normal spindle nut (tighten to 43, back off to hand tight, rotate hub a few times around in each direction, then re-tighten to 43). Because there's no locktab and second locknut, that part of the factory process is not required.

The very small M3 lock bolts/screws for the locking ring don't need massive torque - seems the recommendation is to go just a bit beyond hand-tight.

I didn't need to file any metal off parts to get things to fit, and I've got one genuine Toyota front spindle and one aftermarket (supplied by Locktup 4x4 before they went out of business here) front spindle (both the bush + needle roller bearing version).

Can anyone link to the button head screws they used in place of the supplied hardware? We've got no stores that sell what I need and I'm having trouble finding online sources that don't require you buy 500 pieces.

Can anyone link to the button head screws they used in place of the supplied hardware? We've got no stores that sell what I need and I'm having trouble finding online sources that don't require you buy 500 pieces.
For the screw size & designation the 1st & 2nd page of this thread has several posts describing them. So you're saying you can't take the supplied Allen head screws down to a hardware store as a pattern and get the same thing only with a panhead on them?

Edit: Button head screw would be better - shorter profile.

Last edited:
For the screw size & designation the 1st & 2nd page of this thread has several posts describing them. So you're saying you can't take the supplied Allen head screws down to a hardware store as a pattern and get the same thing only with a panhead on them?

Edit: Button head screw would be better - shorter profile.

I've had the screw specs saved in my phone for a while now, even the bolt/hardware specialty stores in my area don't carry these (on top of the fact they charge $10 minimums). I don't really care if they cost $10, I just can't seem to get my hands on them!

Maybe I'll try out some hardware stores while I'm in the states on vacation, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom