What's is my 1963 FJ40 worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rear wiper?!

DSCN7809.JPG
DSCN7810.JPG

When someone is asking for an opinion of what something is worth, we should be honest and not give false hope. This is no where close to being a 10,000.00 plus truck. A few months back a mud member couldn't get 4,500.00 out of his rust free red early 40. It wasn't running, however it looked straight and was all there.

I beg to differ. Following trends and sales, this vehicle is a gem. I know speculation is all over the map, but I will show you an FJ40 just sold for 3500.00. It was a rust monster. I believe if this owner did the correct things , he would easily get 10K plus. I do not mean restoration , but cleanup and a few parts re-attached.

I have already have comitments tomorrow... but I'd be there Wednesday evening with $1500 cash and a trailer to bring it home even though I'm broke and haven't got a paycheck in almost two years... and don't need another 40.

$4-5k seems more like what it'd be worth. The 78 for $3500 has a lot of rust and no hardtop.

I have already have comitments tomorrow... but I'd be there Wednesday evening with $1500 cash and a trailer to bring it home even though I'm broke and haven't got a paycheck in almost two years... and don't need another 40.

$4-5k seems more like what it'd be worth. The 78 for $3500 has a lot of rust and no hardtop.

A lot of members on here have been around long enough that they (may) have developed a syndrome of not keeping up with current events. I used to be one also. I purchased a 1969 as second owner and the price was so low my last set of tires cost more. Today, value would allow me to buy a new truck cash. Why, same as baseball cards, own the correct ones and there you go.
The vehicle in this thread basically is much higher than you think. Yes, it needs cleaned etc.. , but, 5K is just to low. Heck , I see FJ40 floor mats sell for that ????

FJ mat.PNG

A lot of members on here have been around long enough that they (may) have developed a syndrome of not keeping up with current events. I used to be one also. I purchased a 1969 as second owner and the price was so low my last set of tires cost more. Today, value would allow me to buy a new truck cash. Why, same as baseball cards, own the correct ones and there you go.
The vehicle in this thread basically is much higher than you think. Yes, it needs cleaned etc.. , but, 5K is just to low. Heck , I see FJ40 floor mats sell for that ????

View attachment 1746035

How true. I'm sure 5k is low.

I have been at this for a long time. I've seen a rigs worse than the 45 I scrapped fixex... and you certainly can't buy one for $100 now.

$1500 was so ridiculously low that, even though funds are tight and I don't need another truck, I'd drop everything and drive half a day to come buy it sight unseen.

Loving the pics, those old door handles. Nice.

Can’t quite figure this out though
06E3FBE0-4861-4E0B-BBEE-815AEE03B6C3.jpeg

Long shot... @Ilovemud2 do you know Tom Reynolds?

Last edited:
And no way does a running, relatively rust free 40 go for $4,500 in today's 40 world. Unless you stole it from someone... Names not posted to protect the notso innocent. ;) Now, I'm not certain of the older models with the corrugated top. Are they even more rare?

That being said if I can secure a 40 near my friends house that appears to be a great shape pre-75 FST for $4,500 I will jump all over it and beg for forgiveness later... Even if it is white, not my favorite color for these.

This thread is proof of what they say about opinions... :D

It does look to me like the red may not be original or its been resprayed. To my knowledge, the Guage bezel was not painted the same color as the vehicle, but I could be wrong. Non original color or respray takes away some survivor value.

I can only tell you what I would pay for it based on what you have provided. I would give you $6000 without further inspection and assuming running, driving & stopping.

Lot of work but I would take it for $6500 and move it farther down the road from PjJohnson's (I assume from Gilroy) and down to sunny San Diego. Keep us posted on the progress and it would be great if you can post a lot more pictures (we like pictures)

Last edited:
i would go 4 grand on it years ago i bought out a dealer ship and have many nos parts for that truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom