Target carrier (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any thoughts of trying an air to water intercooler? I think I’m going to run that on mine.

Intercoolers typically aren't as tall as the radiator, right? So you have your condenser, then the intercooler, and then the radiator? Does that mean there is a pretty large gap between the radiator and condenser where there isn't intercooler? Maybe that is creating some turbulence.

Couple things from my road racing/Datsun experiences, everything sealed up front so air has to go through the rad, water wetter, last is something I rarely see...the splash pan under the rad support which in reality isn’t for splash but rather helps create a negative pressure area behind the rad. The newer trucks have the rubber strip hanging under the bumpers that everyone tears off the first time they back up in the snow/mud...those also help manage the pressure differential.

This is what I was thinking too. I have run into cooling issues on stock vehicles when the "splash guard" was removed. Seems like an intercooler that was a different shape to not cover the entire radiator and really looking at how air is moving through the engine compartment would solve the issue. Old volvo 240 turbos had an oil cooler that was mounted off to one side of the radiator and in the engine compartment that was a cool solution. A different shroud directed air over to it.
IMG_20141009_114909_524_zpsaeb605fa.jpg

Maybe a gopro and some windtunnel testing?

Pig was built around using an electric fan so plan “B” is not going to be easy or cheap, checked the factory 4BT fan and it’s too long to fit between the block and radiator. So plan “B, V-2” is to go full Scrapdaddy on it and turn adding a mechanical fan into an eight week long $5000 project.

I have some parts on order and a custom fan being made that “should” get me close, I’ll post some details and picture when I get all the parts if you other 4BT guys are interested.

Instead of carving holes in the valance, or switching to a mechanical fan, can you open up the core support to allow more direct airflow to the cooling package? I haven't had any situation where my engine gets hot since installing the intercooler. During that job, I opened up the core support by 3/4-1" in every direction.

Which electric fans are (were) you running?

Any thoughts of trying an air to water intercooler? I think I’m going to run that on mine.

I briefly looked into an air to water intercooler but packaging with the available space on a 4BT 55 is a challenge and I’m lazy so I took the easy road.

But it looks like you have an electric pusher and I am guessing 2 electric pullers on the back side?

Pusher in the front is for the A/C condenser, I have a Volvo puller on the backside,
I’ve tried several singe electric fans and the Volvo is by far the best. I’ll remove both of them when I switch to a mechanical fan and build a new shroud.

Intercoolers typically aren't as tall as the radiator, right? So you have your condenser, then the intercooler, and then the radiator? Does that mean there is a pretty large gap between the radiator and condenser where there isn't intercooler? Maybe that is creating some turbulence.

I have a .5” to .750” gap between each that I’ve read is pretty common spacing, the shape of a pig snout is probably the biggest factor for my airflow/ turbulence issues.

Louvers...

I also added louvers, although not as big as those above. They do help mine out quite a bit.

I like louvers and even like the big hump 55 hoods but just like cutting extra holes in the lower valance for some unrealistic reason I would like to keep this pig looking like a mostly factory early pig as far as the sheet metal is concerned. I realize at some point I might have to concede to the laws of physics and start cutting holes but for now I’m holding out hope I can hold on to my idealistic view of a factory’ish looking pig.

Last edited:
can you open up the core support to allow more direct airflow to the cooling package?
Core support is as large as the coolers themselves, it’s everything in front of them that’s creating the restrictions, if I remove the grill altogether it will drop my running temps by 8° to 10° and I believe the lower valance would most likely do similar. Same problem as above my goal is to keep those parts unmolested and attached.

Soooo another kind of odd ball idea, is that you could put the intercooler behind the radiator. You could get your engine temps lower, it might increase your IAT a little, but not as huge of an issue with a diesel as it is with a gas engine. You would still need the pusher and puller fans, and plumbing might be a little more difficult since you would likely have to modify the inlet and outlets but everything could remain stock looking.

Soooo another kind of odd ball idea, is that you could put the intercooler behind the radiator.
That’s an interesting idea, you’re correct that alone would solve my engine over heating issues without adversely effecting anything else.

I think I’m going to call this plan “C”, thanks!

So what are you saying here, my hood louvers make butt look big?:

No sweetie you’re pretty just the way you are!

Dumb question. Factory skid plate installed? What about more holes There? Air flow is air flow ☺

Did 55’s have factory skid plates??

Top mount intercooler?

Last week, I helped @The Phoenician (who runs a 4BT with sequential turbos) install a set of big ass louvers. He said they made a difference on his engine temps.

Big Red Toy

Just pulled my valence off last night. Not sure putting holes in it would get you much more air. Horizontal intercooler would work if you have any room.

Yeah, isn't the radiator core support pretty thick down around there?

Step one is to figure out a fan support to mount the new mechanical fan.

The factory 4BT fan support was too long and positioned the fan too low and too far to the driver’s side to be usable. From what I could find the early Intercooled 12 Valve Dodge Ram Cummins fan support was centered and moved the fan up about two inches, the problem was Dodge only used these three years and only on the intercooled versions for those pickups making them hard to find on the used market and stupid expensive when you do find one, Cummins still offers this mount but again crazy money for something I didn’t know if it would work so I decided to make my own. The ('94-'02) Cummins fan support is an inch shorter than the 4BT support but it is still the low drivers side design, its inexpensive and readily available so I just bought one as a starting point.

I used a chunk of 3” heavy wall DOM and welded it to some ¾” flat bar, bored the tube for the bearing and machined the mounting surface of the flat bar perpendicular to the bore.
face.jpg

To lock the bearing in place I added a shoulder to the front of the housing and I added a snap ring to the back side.

lip.jpg

snap.jpg

All the parts pressed back together.
test.jpg

test-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom