Fog Machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I've been driving for 30+ years, but I've never seen this before.

My 1990 FJ62 is not merely blowing cold air when I turn on the AC, but it's blowing fog. I have streams of cold vapor coming out of the vents. It's a little disconcerting, and is actually fogging up the driver's side window.

I'm relatively new to the FJ62, but this can't be right. It's plenty humid down here, but I drove it all last summer, and never saw the fog.

Any ideas?

Does it happen right away or after the A/C has been on for a while? Does it smell sweet like coolant?

I would almost bet the condensate tube is plugged and not draining. Try running the A/C with the cruiser
stationary, and look on the ground under the passenger area. Should have a puddle form after some time.

Likely your heater core is leaking does the "fog" seem greasy?

Sounds like a coolant leak and heater core is usually the culprit.

I've had that happen with several vehicles in very hot humid conditions in the midwest. Does it do it on recirc too? Is your evap drain clear?

Fog is not greasy and does not smell sweet. I have had leaky heater cores before, and I don't think that's it.

I get the fog with both recirc and outside air.

I don't have any idea where the condensate drain is, but I do have a puddle of condensate under the car. It does seem smaller than it should be. Where do I look to check that?

I don't have any idea where the condensate drain is, but I do have a puddle of condensate under the car. It does seem smaller than it should be. Where do I look to check that?

Inside the engine bay, low on the firewall, about midway between the engine block and the passenger side inner fender. Black 90* hose exiting through rubber grommet.

When the AC drain pan in my 60 filled up I would get a splash of cold water on my foot when turning right occasionally.

When the AC drain pan in my 60 filled up I would get a splash of cold water on my foot when turning right occasionally.
I had an International Scout that would splash water on my feet whenever it rained :rofl:

I'm happy when an AC system blows fog out the dash vents. That indicates it is cooling well below dew point. It should not be below freezing, though.

this wold be my opinion too .. and me like when it happens ..

Hi, Check with ac gauges. Probably low on coolant. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom