My slow battle against hatch rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like you've done a pretty damn good job!

The hatch is looking great!

Since the outside is most important looks wise, lightly spray the repair with a different color paint. Then give it a quick sand with a block. This will reveal any high or low spots that need attention before you do your final painting. Hatch repair looks really good so far.

I finished up the body filler on the exterior side, and removed the residue from the 'land cruiser' emblem. I used the 3m adhesive eraser wheel mentioned in other threads, and it worked great.
IMG_20180706_202220.jpg
IMG_20180706_203720.jpg
IMG_20180706_203727.jpg

I scuffed the interior and exterior with 240, and then 320 grit paper with my DA. It was looking pretty good, but I had to do some rework on the passengers side body line.

IMG_20180706_205632.jpg

IMG_20180707_112803.jpg

I sprayed a little primer and discovered a bit of a wave - so I did a bit more filler, and this is how it turned out.

IMG_20180708_085836.jpg

IMG_20180708_085844.jpg

It's not perfect.. but it's as good as I'm going to get it. Plus it looks a hell of a lot better than a rusty mess with holes.

I built the tent in the storage unit. If someone saw me, I'm 100% sure they would have thought I was preparing to dismember someone.

IMG_20180708_155844.jpg

I spray tonight!

Man your tenacity is truly impressive. Last weekend I discovered a lot of rust on my truck from broken sunroof drains and indications of a prior rollover. Gotta jolt of hope off your success. Keep the pictures coming!

The spray went well, pictures coming!

I need help with the linkage. Anyone have a picture of the pivot arm that goes to the rear hatch exterior key lock, to the manual interior unlocker, and back to the power lock linkage? It's mounted with two bolts, and has a triangular pivot with three arms coming off of it. I can't quite figure out it's orientation.

Here's the photos of the hatch right after I sprayed it. And right before it fell..

IMG_20180709_190237.jpg

IMG_20180709_190238.jpg

There's two runs on the left side of the glass. I blame inexperience. I was able to get them out after 24 hours of cure with a combination of a razor blade, and increasingly fine grits of sandpaper wrapped around a paint stirring stick.

Here's a few tips to anyone who may be a beginner to this. A single point of hanging makes the panel twist and turn while you're spraying it, which is bad. Make sure your method of hanging doesn't involve wobbly 20G sheet metal that bounces around when you close an adjacent overhead door.

Seriously though, it didn't really get too screwed up when it fell.

IMG_20180709_191231.jpg

The worst part is above where some of the partly cured paint peeled off when I lifted it.

It's 100% salvageable though! In fact I've already fixed most of it with 800 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. I'll just have to touch up the one spot that peeled off. The truck is 27 years old. I'm not too concerned about the hatch being 100% perfect.

Last night I finished getting all the weatherstripping on, and the lock and wiper mechanisms installed.

Hopefully tonight I'll get time to put it back on the truck.

That looks like you did a fine job. I hope the rest of it assembles well for you.

I have yet to do a little touch up, apply the LAND CRUISER emblem, and install the glass - but here's the before and after shots.

Before:
IMG_20180515_202841.jpg
IMG_20180515_202846.jpg
IMG_20180515_202851.jpg

After:
IMG_20180712_204855.jpg
IMG_20180712_204906.jpg

I'm really happy that I went through with this.

:clap:

And so many of us (me included) told you it wasn't worth your time. Kudos!

Wow! The hatch looks fantastic!! Here's some pictures of the linkage. I can take some others if these don't help you out. I got them from my "new" hatch that is still in my basement. D'oh!!! If you see me out and about, please don't park by me ;)

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

IMG_1740-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna sound cheap here, but which gaskets must be replaced when doing this job? Trying to figure out what to budget for. Thanks!

I'm gonna sound cheap here, but which gaskets must be replaced when doing this job? Trying to figure out what to budget for. Thanks!
For sure count on a new head gasket. Because of the way the lines for the rear window washer work and because the valve that fails is next to the number 6 cylinder area of the head gasket, little bursts of window cleaning fluid eventually wear down the head gasket at that part of the block and if your rear hatch is rusty, you can be sure those two symptoms are related.

Beyond that, I would think that if the rubber is good now, a careful person should be able t re-use it.

Last edited:
Nice work! Old school, gooey, hand cleaner like Gojo, works well for cleaning the window gasket, also makes a great install lube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom