Wiring to the roof and rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been thinking about adding some flood lights to the roof of my truck. Also possibly a solar panel for keeping the battery topped off.

I also need to run an HDMI cable from the interior of the truck to the rear bumper, outside the vehicle.

Any suggestions of where to put those holes? I was thinking about putting the one for the rear through the compartment that holds the bottle jack.

Cheers!

Im curious about this too, I need to get power to my RTT and run lights. I looked at running from under the hood, under the trim next to the windshield up to the roof.

Im curious about this too, I need to get power to my RTT and run lights. I looked at running from under the hood, under the trim next to the windshield up to the roof.
That seems like a good idea, I'll have to look for the trim you're referring to when I get home .

Bump

I chose to drill my roof when installing my light bar. Takes commitment, but it's the cleanest way to do it.

For my perimeter floods, I temporarily routed the wires up the rain gutter on my A-pillar and I really dislike it. Keeps coming loose at the worst times. I'll be drilling my roof soon for each one of those as well.

Good write up on another forum that shows how it's done.

Tech Tuesday: Route Power to Your Roof Rack

I ran power up from under the hood, encased in loom conduit, and had it siliconed in under the trim alongside windscreen upto the roof and then onto roof rack, sits in very neatly, been there for years without any probs.

With the HDMI cable, you should be able to run to bumper, going along floor to rear cargo area, inside plastic mouldings and through gap between tailgate and car body, maybe cut/ modify rubber seal so it sits in snuggle and silicon back?

Not the greatest pic of it, but you can hardly notice it on the left side of windscreen.

20170120_093159.jpg

I ran all my wires from the roof rack (light bar, 3 pairs of LED pods and a single LED pod......10 total wires) in loom conduit down the drivers side A-Pillar. I used black Gorilla tape to seal up the loom along the length of the A-Pillar. Unless you're up real close, you can't tell anything is there.

I ran power up from under the hood, encased in loom conduit, and had it siliconed in under the trim alongside windscreen upto the roof and then onto roof rack, sits in very neatly, been there for years without any probs.

With the HDMI cable, you should be able to run to bumper, going along floor to rear cargo area, inside plastic mouldings and through gap between tailgate and car body, maybe cut/ modify rubber seal so it sits in snuggle and silicon back?

Not the greatest pic of it, but you can hardly notice it on the left side of windscreen.

View attachment 1747013

I ran all my wires from the roof rack (light bar, 3 pairs of LED pods and a single LED pod......10 total wires) in loom conduit down the drivers side A-Pillar. I used black Gorilla tape to seal up the loom along the length of the A-Pillar. Unless you're up real close, you can't tell anything is there.

Can we get some closeup pics of how you guys did this?

Why not use the spare roof rack mounting holes in the rain gutter? Should be fairly simple to run wires behind the interior a-pillar trim, above the headliner and up through the hole with the right sized grommet.

Excellent point. My situation didn't allow for that since my Gamiviti rack utilizes all 8 mounting points. But, had I used only 6, then your suggestion would be perfect. The original poster should consider that as an option for sure.

Excellent point. My situation didn't allow for that since my Gamiviti rack utilizes all 8 mounting points. But, had I used only 6, then your suggestion would be perfect. The original poster should consider that as an option for sure.
There's still an extra, actually. The second mount from the rear has three holes (bolt partially hidden behind the bracket in the pic):
image-jpeg.1562506

There's still an extra, actually. The second mount from the rear has three holes (bolt partially hidden behind the bracket in the pic):
image-jpeg.1562506

WHAT!? I had no idea! I will say, having as many lines coming down as I do currently makes for an awfully thick conduit. Would be nice to run the more rearward lights down thru that hole in the roof. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: BEG
Here's a couple of wiring run pics, it runs the light bar and 5 other LED's on the rack.

20180719_075319.jpg
20180719_075350.jpg

Last edited:
As for the rear bumper..... I ran some wiring for a 7 way trailer adapter last weekend - ran along drivers side (behind panels, along stock wiring).

At the back to get the wires out, I cut a small hole in the rear most drain rubber plug and pulled the wires through. (I cut the plug from the underside, fished a thick cable up, then used that to act as a fishing tape to pull the new wires down). Worked perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom