I thought Man-a-fre went out of business? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I was convinced Man-a-fre was no more but was surprised to find that it is still up and running. Did I invent the whole out of business thing or did it die and then come back? Also, so many of their items are out of stock. What accounts for that? Seems weird.

Just curious. I was glad to see them still up and running as this was a major supplier to me back in the 80s and 90s.

So, I was convinced Man-a-fre was no more but was surprised to find that it is still up and running. Did I invent the whole out of business thing or did it die and then come back? Also, so many of their items are out of stock. What accounts for that? Seems weird.

Just curious. I was glad to see them still up and running as this was a major supplier to me back in the 80s and 90s.
I believe BTB bought Man a fre out. Not sure when. There are a few posts on MUD about it

I believe BTB bought Man a fre out. Not sure when. There are a few posts on MUD about it
When I learned from another MUD member that BTB and Man-A-Fre were in Henderson, NV, I stopped by to see if they had a good used pushrod for my '84 FJ60. The guy at the counter walked me out back to where they keep a VERY LARGE supply of used Land Cruiser parts and pulled a box full of 2F pushrods off the shelf. We looked through the box and picked out the best one. $5 plus tax and I was headed home to install it in the 2F. I never knew they sold used parts. Next time I'm out there I plan to see what else they have.

Awesome experience with BTB they definitely bought out man-a-fre. They still stock some of their stuff. I was just there last week awesome staff and plenty of parts used in stock. They are having some issues with the people that manufacture parts being behind on schedule so they may show a lot of parts being out of stock.

Exactly, I’ve called on a few occasions, Great customer service. And yeah certain things are out of stock like some greasable anti inversion shackles and he told me they probably won’t get any more because of there pretty much unavailable from there supplier

Back in April I sent Man-A-Fre this email:
"I’m very interested in purchasing the Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit for my 1970 FJ-40 (7/69). I purchased the front kit and Master Cylinder a few years ago and they’re great! Now I need to complete the conversion. Every time I check on your website, they’re “Out of Stock”. What’s up?"

This is what I received:
"Yes, they are currently out of stock. Our manufacturer was unfortunately hit by the CA fires and mudslides this year and is currently extremely backed up on our orders. Currently no ETA has been provided."

I'm not sure what this all means exactly, but it doesn't sound like they're anxious to fill orders. It's now July and their website has the same "out of stock" message. I've since looked elsewhere.

My experience with BTB several weeks ago left a similar impression. I was looking for a new rear frame rail for my '64 FST. They sell a rail listed for "Early-9/73". When I looked closely, the hole pattern on the replacement didn't match my truck, and they state the part is 61" long, while mine is much shorter at 49.5".

So I sent them an email to confirm the length and ask about the holes not matching the early rigs. Their answer was simply, "yes, it is 61 inches long, and it has been used successfully on many restorations." I got the vague impression that further questions would not be welcomed.

I continued to look into it, and determined that: a.) their part is not 61" long, despite their claim; b.) the holes in their part appear to be correct for '69-73, but not for earlier rigs (there are 2 earlier styles, 62-67 and 68-only); and c.) their parts do not have the stamped recess in the top where the rail rivets to the frame, and so spacers or some other adaptation would be needed.

I ended up working with Kevin (@Awl_TEQ) with specs so he could tool up for a true early replacement. Mine will be his first, it ships any day now.

I doubt I'll bother trying to work with BTB/Man-a-Fre again.

All interesting info...thanks.

Back in April I sent Man-A-Fre this email:
"I’m very interested in purchasing the Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit for my 1970 FJ-40 (7/69). I purchased the front kit and Master Cylinder a few years ago and they’re great! Now I need to complete the conversion. Every time I check on your website, they’re “Out of Stock”. What’s up?"

This is what I received:
"Yes, they are currently out of stock. Our manufacturer was unfortunately hit by the CA fires and mudslides this year and is currently extremely backed up on our orders. Currently no ETA has been provided."

I'm not sure what this all means exactly, but it doesn't sound like they're anxious to fill orders. It's now July and their website has the same "out of stock" message. I've since looked elsewhere.

7/69 is still a 69 model. That would make a difference on a few things like reflectors verses clearance lights and carburator/air cleaner.

My experience with BTB several weeks ago left a similar impression. I was looking for a new rear frame rail for my '64 FST. They sell a rail listed for "Early-9/73". When I looked closely, the hole pattern on the replacement didn't match my truck, and they state the part is 61" long, while mine is much shorter at 49.5".

So I sent them an email to confirm the length and ask about the holes not matching the early rigs. Their answer was simply, "yes, it is 61 inches long, and it has been used successfully on many restorations." I got the vague impression that further questions would not be welcomed.

I continued to look into it, and determined that: a.) their part is not 61" long, despite their claim; b.) the holes in their part appear to be correct for '69-73, but not for earlier rigs (there are 2 earlier styles, 62-67 and 68-only); and c.) their parts do not have the stamped recess in the top where the rail rivets to the frame, and so spacers or some other adaptation would be needed.

I ended up working with Kevin (@Awl_TEQ) with specs so he could tool up for a true early replacement. Mine will be his first, it ships any day now.

I doubt I'll bother trying to work with BTB/Man-a-Fre again.

Just a FYI the rear frame member did change some with the tail lights got bigger. Bracket for the light is wider which moved the reflector and bumperette in a little bit. Haven't compared the overall length but think late in 68 when the tail lights changed the frame member got smaller. My guess the 9/67 until late 68 we're the same width as the 61-67 model but bumperette moved in to make room for the reflectors.

I appreciate your input, but the vehicle is titled and registered as a 1970. The manufactured date is 7/69. Man-A-Fre's kit is for Early-7/1980 so I don't think that's really an issue. I've owned this '70 since 1985 and have been lucky enough to accomplish many a project on it. Back then, I was purchasing many of the products from Man-A-Fre, Downey, Specter Off-Road, Desert Rat, and even Dick Cepek's via phone or mail-in order form.

I bought an unobtanium 40 seat lever from them 2 months ago— pretty good customer service in my view.

manafree made speed parts back in the day they were around for many years i still have a bunch of thier parts and an old catalog or 2.mahafree and downey were 2 places i bought a lot of parts back in the day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom