Blew the trans today. Help? 1995 fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry about your problems. I am wondering if you have a problem with the drive flanges on the front hubs. Low gear should lock the center diff which would get you moving if those were bad. Do you have a center diff lock switch added?

Like tools says, a long known issue. My own truck has and will do it in high range backing up under heavy load/resistance. My understanding is it has something to do with a port inside the trans creating noise when overloading. I have learned to use low range in these situations to alleviate the noise and to assist the drivetrain with gearing leverage. Trans still perfectly fine 12 years later. Know about 4 other 80s that do it in that particular circumstance and theyre still ok after many years of hard use. I wouldn't overreact or even worry about it.

Like tools says, a long known issue. My own truck has and will do it in high range backing up under heavy load/resistance. My understanding is it has something to do with a port inside the trans creating noise when overloading. I have learned to use low range in these situations to alleviate the noise and to assist the drivetrain with gearing leverage. Trans still perfectly fine 12 years later. Know about 4 other 80s that do it in that particular circumstance and theyre still ok after many years of hard use. I wouldn't overreact or even worry about it.

Well, I guess I learned something today, never heard of this before.

Known issue with a few A343 transmissions, some have lived long term with it, never heard of a failure?
I like the sound of it. "I want to believe."

Sorry about your problems. I am wondering if you have a problem with the drive flanges on the front hubs. Low gear should lock the center diff which would get you moving if those were bad. Do you have a center diff lock switch added?
nope, not the flanges. I can just tell it's trans based. Manual hubs etc so high low makes no difference. Center diff switch etc. Plus, I know that squeek from an old truck I had. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

For now I'll just use low for any and all reversing and maybe look into the cost of a trans down here.

Thanks guys!
Hasta

Thanks! As I hit the beach in a bit I'll feel much better about being remote. Muchas gracias Murf!

Known issue with a few A343 transmissions, some have lived long term with it, never heard of a failure?

This is how mine failed. 130k miles on the clock at the time. But I don't think this is the issue you're referring to though. There's a tsb out there for a missing bb from the valve body but it only effected certain serial numbers.

I remember that happening to me a handful of times. Thought I was proper screwed when I felt it the first time, but that was 60,000 miles ago

I remember that happening to me a handful of times. Thought I was proper screwed when I felt it the first time, but that was 60,000 miles ago
Yah, us too. It didn't help that I was facing downhill on a dune that ended in an 8 or so foot drop. We hand't seen a person or vehicle track in almost a day so I knew we were pretty screwed if we couldn't reverse. I was already picturing a few hours burying my spare somewhere behind me and some sketchy winch usage. Haha!
Glad it worked in low!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom