What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (60 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the valve cover gasket, PCV valve+grommet, spark plug tube seals, the oil pump cover gasket, front main seal, and the oil soaked radiator hoses. I should have done this a long time ago.

Notes:

1. I didn't drain the oil and only a small amount drained out from the oil pump cover. Nothing leaked out from the front main seal. The oil has about 3500 miles on it and will be changed soon, but doesn't look too bad yet.
2. The collective wisdom on various threads made this job much easier than it could have been.
3. No stripped screws! I credit this to using a #3 phillips bit (Dewalt impact ready) hammered into place (30 taps each) and a impact driver that blasted the screws right off. I cleaned the screw heads with brake cleaner and it was 100% dry before attempting removal.
4. The 2" PVC coupler fits the front main seal perfectly, it went right in.
5. The harbor freight 300 ft/lb torque wrench worked well (clicked it up one more past 300). I had to give it everything I could to reach the torque value (no breaker bar pipe handy at the time).
6. A 14mm deep impact socket in via the torque converter inspection plate worked perfectly to re-tighten. A breaker bar strapped to the bottom of the passenger side frame also worked perfectly to loosen via bumping the starter.
7. Covering the radiator with cardboard was a good call to prevent damage while wrenching.
8. Partsouq was great, prices are really good and the order arrived in three days.

upload_2018-7-9_8-24-41.png

upload_2018-7-9_8-25-3.png

upload_2018-7-9_8-25-31.png

upload_2018-7-9_8-25-48.png

Took the clunker up and over Red Cone and then looped back to Como to hang out with the in-laws at Robert's cabin.

Wife took more pictures, this is all I got.
20180708_123722.jpg
20180708_142954.jpg
20180708_144325.jpg

Took 3 inches outta the front fenders in preparation for 37s.

Was needed? Details in your sig make me think you should have the clearance

Is just stock 80 routing, nothing special
I feel silly for not realising that is on the out side. I guess I needed to look a bit closer next time. Thanks for the reply....

Put new emblems on the cruisers.
456AE3C9-40CF-4294-990E-A761ADA297B3.jpeg

Well yesterday evening I finished my jaunt across the US. Started in Orlando 10 days ago with a view of the Atlantic Ocean and finished with a view of the Pacific Ocean- albeit a misty one.
20180709_164410.jpg

A few fast facts about my trip...
Distance travelled 4279 Miles (6886km)
Days driving -10
Number of states visited -10
Highest temp 49.9c (122f) - Death Valley
Lowest temp 7.2c (45f) - Yosemite
Highest altitude 3400m (11155ft) crossing the Rockies
Lowest altitude- -81m (-266ft) Death valley
Average MPG - 12.1 (19.4 liters/100km)
Number of breakdowns - Zero
Number of broken bits - 1 (Swaybar bushing)
Amount of fun had - countless.

Please do not try and estimate what I spent on gas. Somethings are better left unsaid..:beer:

I spotted a dude in a sweet white cruiser this morning on the 405 near John Wayne. Only managed to share a few fist pumps and a couple of blasts on the horn. Pretty sure it was a mud member
Let me know if it was you...

After several years, my rustoleum bed liner has started fading, chipping, and cracking. I have been fixing every thing on the cruiser that has bugged me this summer so it was time for some fresh monstaliner.

IMG_1675.JPG

Part time hubs on. Probably tear into the transfer case when the cruiser is up on the lift and I'm swapping axles.

IMG_1690.JPG

Prepped rockers and wheel wells for bed liner. The wheel wells were trashed and looking horrible. The rockers had 6 year old rustoleum on them and looked horrible.
IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

And picked up my new to me FF axle and started working on it. Harrop locker, 4.88s, stop tech slotted rotors, armor, full rebuild, and fresh paint are all on the agenda.

IMG_1778.JPG

Not spraying close to up there. I also didn't do a small section on the lower quarter panel, but the liner doesn't seem to fog like paint and clear so no overspray to really worry about.

Found a new use for a deep 12mm 3/8" drive socket yesterday

Travelled from Bozeman MT to Loveland CO yesterday since i'm getting married on Saturday in keystone. I made it about a third of the way when I pulled into Sheridan to get gas and as I was pumping gas some coolant flowed out from underneath and started pooling around my sandle. Turns out that the exhaust shop when doing the over the frame reroute had not told me or Robbie (to my knowledge) that they had deleted my rear heater! Instead of getting a new soft line and making a U to the hard lines that go to the rear heater they used a plastic cylinder to connect the original two hoses!!! This melted and caused me to loose a bunch of coolant, luckily it happened right when I pulled into the gas station. My fix was to replace the plastic cylinder with take 12mm deep socket.
IMG_20180710_155549.jpg

MVIMG_20180710_141211.jpg

MVIMG_20180710_150822.jpg

IMG_20180711_071041.jpg

Another example of why no one other than myself touches my truck....:eek:
This was a trusted shop of Robbie in Boulder. The dude does more 1fzfe rebuilds than anyone else and I doubt he had any idea they did this. Will be calling him shortly then the exhaust shop.

I am not knocking Robbie or his work.... but the
trusted shop of Robbie in Boulder.
is hopefully no longer trusted. That said, I would have Robbie do work to the internals of my head or block, but beyond that it's all me.

Just my preference.

Loaded the old girl up on my new car hauler this weekend for our 11-day trip to Moab and Ouray. We usually just drive the Cruiser out there but we're towing it with the new Tundra this year for giggles and more comfort. Plus, new truck vs 240,000-mile Land Cruiser in 100-degree temps from Missouri to Utah = tow with Tundra that has lifetime powertrain warranty. Ha. I installed Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on the Tundra last week and it levels out nicely with 40 psi in the bags. Fixed a couple of small A/C leaks on the Cruiser and charged it with some R-12 and it's blowing nice and cold for the trails. Our dog will appreciate that.

210dowj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom