What did you do with your trailer this weekend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC4LIFE

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hi Everyone,

I am a big fan of the "What did you do with your **** this weekend?" threads in almost all the other vehicle forums so I figured I would start one here and see if we can keep it going. I know for me, I get tons of ideas and help from the vehicle threads. Here goes.

I pulled the trailer I built with my father nearly 18yrs ago almost 2000 miles up through northern CO, Tetons, Yellowstone, Montana and Wyoming. Everything went well, but I had a problem with my propane not maintaining pressure at the stove in the mornings when it was cold. Not sure if that is a regulator issue or simply propane at altitude and sub freezing temps. Also, had a blow-out but that was because I was running the 18yr old tires:bang:

20th Trip-1.jpg

20th Trip-17.jpg

New larger tires, new fenders to fit them better, and I officially made it part of my Cruiser family.
td.jpg

td-2.jpg

@LC4LIFE that's a sweet pic, 2nd one down, 1st post. Where did you take that one at ?

Thanks!

Its called "River Road" in Grand Teton National Park. Its the only dirt road you can actually drive in the entire NP.

The regular dexter trailer springs just don't hold up to rougher roads. I broke a spring pack in Canyonlands back in January and two more on my last trip. It was time for a change. I have known for a long time that the shorter, typical, trailer leaf springs are just not meant for off-roading and have heard about others breaking spring packs too. I was luckily enough to get a pair of 60 series front springs from a local LC guy. They are now on the trailer and wow, does it ride so much better. It just floats over everything. No jarring, bouncing or pounding over bumps. It is super smooth. I may need to add shocks once I see how it behaves off road, but I highly recommend a longer, stronger spring for any trailer you plan to take off road.

tdr-2.jpg
tdr.jpg

Last edited:
I hauled a small hot tub with mine (no pic), and the whole 9 hour round trip drive I contemplated how I wanted to build it to better fit my needs.
It's a utility trailer with wood floor and sides that I made a couple years ago. 3500 lb axle, 5'*9' bed size. I'm wanting something I can go camping in with a family of 4, haul my UTV, haul firewood, etc. Oh, and I want to keep it ideally under 1k lbs. Pics as it currently sits.
I too have been checking this forum for ideas on how to build it to fit all my needs ( I know I should just buy/build multiple trailers, but don't have enough parking).

IMG_20180529_090840711_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180529_090856035_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I like this thread. Last weekend on the way home from NWOR in Plain, WA we took WABDR stage 2 from north to south.
trailer1.jpg
trailer3.jpg

As you can see I have some 80 series wheels on there. Good idea at the time when I had an 80 but now with the 100, I don't have the like spare. You might can see a spool of wire too. It's for the LED lights underneath the trailer rack and in the awning. I need a better solution, like a coiled wire that allows the rack to extend up, but for now, I just use alligator clips to a motorcycle battery. I'd like to build a portable house battery box for the trailer. Something I can remove when the utility part is needed. I'm thinking a box with some switches on top for lights in awning, trailer bed, and in the future annex and tent lights. This might be wishful thinking, but is there a way to charge a battery from the trailer wiring? The 7-pin style wiring?

The regular dexter trailer springs just don't hold up to rougher roads. I broke a spring pack in Canyonlands back in January and two more on my last trip. It was time for a change. I have known for a long time that the shorter, typical, trailer leaf springs are just not meant for off-roading and have heard about others breaking spring packs too. I was luckily enough to get a pair of 60 series front springs from a local LC guy. They are now on the trailer and wow, does it ride so much better. It just floats over everything. No jarring, bouncing or pounding over bumps. It is super smooth. I may need to add shocks once I see how it behaves off road, but I highly recommend a longer, stronger spring for any trailer you plan to take off road.
I have this same issue. When I got back from this trip was the worse. In my chuck box, everything was covered in steak sauce when the bottle broke open. I took it easy on the trail and bigger bumps but the trailer still jumps around. 3500# axles. Maybe I should take a leaf out or try different leaf springs like you. Did you have to move your mounting points?

but I had a problem with my propane not maintaining pressure at the stove in the mornings
I had this issue as well but it wasn't cold. I don't have a regulator in the line I was trying to use for the stove or the propane fire pit. Not sure if that could be the cause or what, but there was no gas to either one and it was a full tank.

I like this thread. Last weekend on the way home from NWOR in Plain, WA we took WABDR stage 2 from north to south.
View attachment 1738084 View attachment 1738085

is there a way to charge a battery from the trailer wiring? The 7-pin style wiring?

Maybe I should take a leaf out or try different leaf springs like you. Did you have to move your mounting points?

there was no gas to either one and it was a full tank.

I love the remoteness of where you are on that trip. Looks great. Yes, I have mine charging from the vehicle. A typical 7-pin connector has one of the terminals specifically used for charging from the tow vehicle. It is nice to have for sure. Reference this - Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

I had removed some leafs as well, but it really did not help. The biggest issue is how short they are. They just can't flex very well being so short. I was previously running a 26" Dexter spring, the pretty typical trailer spring. The new springs off the 60 series are about twice as long. I highly recommend doing this if you can. I had to move both ends of the mounts on the trailer, so that is the downside.

I love the remoteness of where you are on that trip. Looks great. Yes, I have mine charging from the vehicle. A typical 7-pin connector has one of the terminals specifically used for charging from the tow vehicle. It is nice to have for sure. Reference this - Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

I had removed some leafs as well, but it really did not help. The biggest issue is how short they are. They just can't flex very well being so short. I was previously running a 26" Dexter spring, the pretty typical trailer spring. The new springs off the 60 series are about twice as long. I highly recommend doing this if you can. I had to move both ends of the mounts on the trailer, so that is the downside.
Is there a way to determine if a longer leaf spring from a vehicle will be strong enough for the trailer? Or will pretty much any spring be strong enough? How did you decide on the 60 series set?

I am not sure if there is really a way to determine what will be strong enough, but from all I have read and heard, in order to have a good ride and not break springs you need a long spring with enough individual leafs. A shorter spring flexes a lot more than a longer one for the same amount of travel which is what causes the fatigue and breakage. The 60 series springs are about 50” long and five leafs. It seems to actually have better weight capacity but with a much better ride.

My son and I took a quick trip to the local mountains. He was checking over all his recent mods and systems in his newly acquired Casita and I was just checking over the new springs and shocks in my teardrop.

IMG_3762.JPG

View attachment 1745131

IMG_3767.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom