Drive train Squeaking. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Random Question, I have a center diff lock. Is it possible to drive the truck with this on and the front shaft dropped? How much more strain would this put on the drive train?

Random Question, I have a center diff lock. Is it possible to drive the truck with this on and the front shaft dropped? How much more strain would this put on the drive train?

No problem at all.

Lock the CDL, drop the front shaft, drive it. It's just a 2WD at that point. It WILL drive differently.

That's how the part-time kits work.

No problem at all.

Lock the CDL, drop the front shaft, drive it. It's just a 2WD at that point. It WILL drive differently.

That's how the part-time kits work.
I think you could drop the rear too, right? I feel like I read a thread a long time ago where someone had to remove the rear DS due to trail damage and just drove it home as a front wheel drive vehicle. I could be wrong on that, so someone else should confirm.

If you do that(assuming it's OK) you might at least be able to figure out which one is giving you trouble.

I think you could drop the rear too, right? I feel like I read a thread a long time ago where someone had to remove the rear DS due to trail damage and just drove it home as a front wheel drive vehicle. I could be wrong on that, so someone else should confirm.

If you do that(assuming it's OK) you might at least be able to figure out which one is giving you trouble.

Yes, it's absolutely doable.....but you can only remove one driveshaft at a time..........;)

You may have over filled it. I am not sure what happens if you do, but that could be contributing to the squeak.

I made the same mistake once because I thought I was pumping it into the u-joint because I wasn't paying attention. I just dropped one end down and pushed it down all the way so that some grease got pushed out and then reattached it. I never drove mine overfilled though, so I didn't cause any issues. You might want to try that to see if it helps.
Your front pinion bearing seal is leaking because you over filled the slip yoke on your drive shaft. You turned your drive shaft into a hydraulic ram when you over filled it and ruined the crush sleeve in the third member which allowed to much play in your pinion bearings. Sorry for the bad news

Your front pinion bearing seal is leaking because you over filled the slip yoke on your drive shaft. You turned your drive shaft into a hydraulic ram when you over filled it and ruined the crush sleeve in the third member which allowed to much play in your pinion bearings. Sorry for the bad news
Well, maybe. I'd check for play before tearing apart the third member. I grease my driveshafts until grease comes out the splines. I often wonder if this isn't some joke played on Toyota guys- look it up on the interwebs and all you'll find is mentions in Toyota forums. Maybe it depends on what grease you use, viscosity, etc. (I use semi-synthetic moly grease on everything.) It would be interesting to see actual results of this phenomenon.

Well, maybe. I'd check for play before tearing apart the third member. I grease my driveshafts until grease comes out the splines. I often wonder if this isn't some joke played on Toyota guys- look it up on the interwebs and all you'll find is mentions in Toyota forums. Maybe it depends on what grease you use, viscosity, etc. (I use semi-synthetic moly grease on everything.) It would be interesting to see actual results of this phenomenon.
There's no relief hole for the pressure. It all depends on how worn your slip yoke and seal is

There's no relief hole for the pressure. It all depends on how worn your slip yoke and seal is
Well, in my case they are/were new units. I just find it hard to believe Toyota would have designed something so delicate that things could be destroyed with a few too many pumps of a grease gun. Seems like the grease needs to get into the splines, but if you never fill the cavity behind them, it never gets forced into them. I had a couple of slip joints with excessive wear go in the trash, so now they get greased, come what may. Seems like it would be worse to underfill and have that grease dry out and get hard, then force more in behind it. Maybe that's the key for where this fear of overfilling started, with equipment that didn't have proper maintenance through it's service life. Keeping that grease fresh is my objective now.

I can see the slip yokes push out when I grease them, and when I stop they settle back a bit. I have filled them and then unbolted the flange and pushed the spline back in by hand. I don't think the tolerances are tight enough to create enough pressure to damage anything. With all the lube shops using pneumatic grease guns at thousands of psi and no clue, you'd think this would be more of a problem if it were an actual issue. But, that's all just my opinion with no facts to back it up other than my own experience.

Last edited:
Well, i took out the drive shaft last night, the squeaking stopped. The rear u joint on the front ds rotates about as smooth as a rock tumbler. I suppose I should replace the leaking seal though, because it's off right now. 2wd today though.

Well, i took out the drive shaft last night, the squeaking stopped. The rear u joint on the front ds rotates about as smooth as a rock tumbler. I suppose I should replace the leaking seal though, because it's off right now. 2wd today though.
Sounds like you are getting it narrowed down. I forgot to mention in my post about getting the grease out of the DS that I did so by removing the grease zerk. That might come in handy ;)

@-Spike- I believe we are in agreement here. Although one wouldn't know it since I've never said so. I was just trying to explain what could have happened to the front pinion seal and possibly keep others from doing it. I think people just need to be aware that it could happen if they aren't paying attention or don't know what to look for. I had never heard of this "over greasing" problem until I joined MUD. I've always pumped grease until I saw it purge from either a relief hole or the slip yoke seal.

Out of curiosity, how hard is it to replace the oil seal on the front diff? Should I replace the bearings in there at the same time? What about the rear of the center diff?

Out of curiosity, how hard is it to replace the oil seal on the front diff? Should I replace the bearings in there at the same time? What about the rear of the center diff?
If the preload on the pinion bearing is OK (crush sleeve not overcrushed) there's a method in the FSM to do it on the truck IIRC, involving marking the nut position. If you have to set the preload or otherwise mess with the bearings I believe you need to pull the diff. Something to note- the seal leak is often a symptom of the bearing being loose or bad. It is cheap and fairly easy to replace the seal and see what happens though.

Freak- in -A!!!!!!!!!

I just redid the U-joint nearest the T-Case. The thing still squeaks, although maybe not as bad. The joint was in rough shape. 3/4 of the bearings were RUSTY! Even though I greased them, I could see no sign of it. I wanted to do the front ds front joint too, but I ended up breaking one of the caps putting it in, and the store only had 2 in stock. So, I am going to go through the fluids again tomorrow, and see what the heck else is going on. I need to finish painting the Miata so I can park the cruiser to see what is wrong with it. I am so frustrated right now. grrr.

Anyone in Casper Wy, wanna swing by and figure this thing out?

I guess the front one could be squeaking. I guess I will replace that too when the part comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom