3b diesel fuel economy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wandering what figures people are getting.

Mine is turboed 20psi fuel used to be maxxed out but wound it quite abit but hasnt made much difference to fuel economy. Its also got a mercedes spring in the ip not sire if changing back to stock will help

Egts on a hill dont go over 650 degrees

I get a consistent 15-16 l/100km or around 550km from a 90l tank which i think is quite bad for a 3b

Also has rebuilt injectors and timing is spot on.

Runs 33 inch tyres i weighed it on the weigh bridge and it was around 1250kg

My 70 series with a standard 3b gets about 13-14 l/100km. Has 33 inch tyres, but i do carry a lot of tools in the back and i have a big ugly roof rack.

I've got a BJ73, N/A. Runs 33" MTs and is pretty heavy. Has rear drawers full of crap, fridge, dual batteries ect.

I generally get 12.xl/100 on the highway cruising at 100-110. Normally 13.x for driving to work ect, sometimes 14s. It can use up to 20ish in pure sand dune driving.

i weighed it on the weigh bridge and it was around 1250kg

Must weight more than that. Maybe you meant 2250kg?

Personally I'd take the fuel back a bit more.... Running a bit leaner it will burn more efficiently. Also, maybe your turbo is out of it's efficiency range? Either dial back the boost a bit and/or install a front mount intercooler. Intercooling can help fuel economy.

With 33in tyres,it would be doing more klms than its actually reading on the odo (about 3%). Ive found the 32in tyres are fairly close to stock and make the odo quite accurate when checked against a measured distance.
What sort of tyre pressure is everyone running?
There always seems to huge discrepancies in 3B fuel consumption with some owners swearing they get 10/100 or better out of a 60 series

Maybe you meant 2250kg?

Even that sounds a bit heavy. I thought my FJ73 was around 1850kg unloaded on the rego papers, but that could be some theoretical weight dreamt up for lic and tax purposes.

I get a consistent 15-16 l/100km or around 550km from a 90l tank

How are you calculating it?
Ive never seen a 7* series get 90 litres into a tank. I think I got 88 into my FJ73 once with the fuel cap side slightly raised

Must weight more than that. Maybe you meant 2250kg?

Personally I'd take the fuel back a bit more.... Running a bit leaner it will burn more efficiently. Also, maybe your turbo is out of it's efficiency range? Either dial back the boost a bit and/or install a front mount intercooler. Intercooling can help fuel economy.

Yer sorry 2250kg and its already got a front mount intercooler. Egts and turbo efficiency isnt the issue fueling could be though.

How are you calculating it?
Ive never seen a 7* series get 90 litres into a tank. I think I got 88 into my FJ73 once with the fuel cap side slightly raised

I took a long trip with a jerry can and let it run dry till the engine stalled it was filled to the brim prior and i got 550km from memory so i assume that would be quite close to 90l maybe a few litres short

10-11 L/100km average from mine, 310xxxkm on the clock (but more like 350k km in reality probably) N/A BJ73 with 33x10.5 KO2's, bullbar, winch, no lift (currently), no roof rack. I had the injectors rebuilt 4 or 5 months ago which made maybe 10% improvement. I think the best I've had was like 9.7L/100km. Weight doesn't seem to make a difference. My odometer read 10% low with 31s and reads 17% low with the 33s. 33s maybe 5% worse on fuel than the 31s but not much. I measure from fill-up to fill-up and often fill up at the same pump. Long distances in L4 it starts to get a bit thirstier, more like 13 or 14 per 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom