Drive train Squeaking. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just noted this last night. At low speeds, like 0-15 MPH, I am getting a squeak from under the truck. Too fast to be a brake dragging or something around the wheels. I lubed up the rear DS (had done this recently, maybe a year ago, less than 3k miles.) The front Drive shaft, I got to the rear U joint before running out of grease at 10pm last night. Seems almost more like rubber squeaking. I did drive it through a DEEP puddle a few weeks ago (about 2 inches of water coming in the doors), but I didn't notice it until last night. Was driving 85 for about 5 minutes last night. Where should I look and how to I ID the part in question? I tried rocking it back and forth in park, and I couldn't replicate the sound from under the truck.

Finish doing the grease job but if it continues, ask @Dave 2000. I am pretty sure he made the correct diagnosis the last time someone had a squeak like that, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was.

I would also check all of your fluids and make sure your diff breathers worked if you drove through that much water. If you got water in one of the diffs or into something else, it might have mixed with one of the oils and got barfy and now it squeaks. Check your knuckles too.

Ok, a little update. I finished the lube job, but no changes in the squeaking. I noticed that the squeak is worse under moderate acceleration, goes away over about 15-20. I crawled under and rocked the car back and forth and couldn't really find anything. Ugg. I checked my breathers, they seemed fine. I still haven't checked transfer case fluids or diff fluids. I guess that next. Any other suggestions?

Check the body mounts. I had a loose one which was more of a clunk than a squeak but worth checking in either case.

I think it's from where the ds goes into the front differential. It's leaking a bit from there as well

I imagine I need to replace it. How many bananas?

Do front pinion seals squeak when they go bad? Or am I looking at a bearing issue? I am leaking a bit from the area.

Do front pinion seals squeak when they go bad? Or am I looking at a bearing issue? I am leaking a bit from the area.
I doubt a leaking seal would squeak unless the diff was bone dry...
is there a rhythm to the squeak or is it constant? does it speed up or slow down with speed?
is your hub hot to the touch after driving?

I doubt a leaking seal would squeak unless the diff was bone dry...
is there a rhythm to the squeak or is it constant? does it speed up or slow down with speed?
is your hub hot to the touch after driving?

The squeaking is about 4 x faster than the wheel rotation. I had my wife drive by me and it seemed to be coming from the central portion of the truck, possibly front center area. The diff is full of oil because it's bleeding out around the seal, so maybe the pinion bearing is squeaking? Or maybe there's a rock in there that's dragging against something. It seems to be louder with medium acceleration. I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure this one out

Everything points to a U-Joint.

Make sure you check them and grease them when the driveline is UNLOADED. That means: Wheels chocked both sides, transmission in neutral, no parking brake. Then get under and grab the ends of the DS, move left to right and up/down. Then check rotation. If approaching 1/4 turn in rotation, you have a differential problem.

If it moves up/down or L/R then you need new U-Joints.

The squeaking is about 4 x faster than the wheel rotation. I had my wife drive by me and it seemed to be coming from the central portion of the truck, possibly front center area. The diff is full of oil because it's bleeding out around the seal, so maybe the pinion bearing is squeaking? Or maybe there's a rock in there that's dragging against something. It seems to be louder with medium acceleration. I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure this one out
How would a rock get in there?

Like in the flange or something. It's all very confusing. Without having my wife drive over me, I'm not sure what to do to locate the exact source.

Ok, so I got under with all 4 corners off the ground, and my wife (sole beneficiary of life insurance;)). Anyway, she put it in drive, eased off the brake and as far as I could tell, the area near the t case and the front drive shaft (possibly the U joint) was squeaking. The whole driveshaft seemed to be making noise.

Anyway, after my insurance was back in the house, I shot a ton more grease in there. I kept going until the new grease came out and then some. Test drive seemed to not squek as much, but it's still there.

Is my U joint failing?

Did you also pump a ton of grease into the driveshaft? If so, that might be an issue down the road. I think you are only supposed to fill it until it just starts to move.

Did you also pump a ton of grease into the driveshaft? If so, that might be an issue down the road. I think you are only supposed to fill it until it just starts to move.

I did put a lot in, like 8 months ago and just now..... Shiiiiooot. What did I do to it, and how do I fix it?

I did put a lot in, like 8 months ago and just now..... Shiiiiooot. What did I do to it, and how do I fix it?
do you have a DC shaft? if so there is a ball joint that has a needle valve to grease the joint. very hard to see the needle valve and harder to get to. I remove the shaft to grease mine. Took me forever to figure out where my squeak was coming from. pic taken from the web.

Capture.PNG

You may have over filled it. I am not sure what happens if you do, but that could be contributing to the squeak.

I made the same mistake once because I thought I was pumping it into the u-joint because I wasn't paying attention. I just dropped one end down and pushed it down all the way so that some grease got pushed out and then reattached it. I never drove mine overfilled though, so I didn't cause any issues. You might want to try that to see if it helps.

do you have a DC shaft? if so there is a ball joint that has a needle valve to grease the joint. very hard to see the needle valve and harder to get to. I remove the shaft to grease mine. Took me forever to figure out where my squeak was coming from. pic taken from the web.

View attachment 1737381
I don't think so. Looks pretty standard, is that common?

You may have over filled it. I am not sure what happens if you do, but that could be contributing to the squeak.

I made the same mistake once because I thought I was pumping it into the u-joint because I wasn't paying attention. I just dropped one end down and pushed it down all the way so that some grease got pushed out and then reattached it. I never drove mine overfilled though, so I didn't cause any issues. You might want to try that to see if it helps.

Looks like I have a project tonight....

Looks like I have a project tonight....

Make sure you make match marks on the flanges so they line up in the same orientation. The FSM calls for that even though some here say it's not necessary. It takes two seconds and could save you from creating more hassles.

You should be able to see if there is any play in the u-joints too though if you drop the driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom