Hitch Stuck in 4x4 Labs Bumper... What To Do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW... thanks for all the help so far guys!

If you have a welder or know someone with one....you could grind the shank off square (from your cut) weld a piece of 3/8" flat stock over the end (making a cap). Drill a hole through the center, weld a 1/2-13 nut over it, then use a long 1/2" bolt (long enough to reach the cross-member in the back) to press it out. Use an impact.

if it was me I would at this point take a chisel and hit between whats left of the hitch and the reciver to cave in the tube if you do that to all 4 sides it should relieve it enough to take out. Or if not it will raise the hitch wall enough to cut it with the sawsall without hitting the receiver

Keep it up man, this is become an epic journey, really a rite of passage for you! For a lot of us, it was a front knuckle overhaul, for you, it is a tow hitch!

Now what should I do? Sawzall down the middle of the inside and see if I can get it cut?

Yes. If you can cut top and bottom it will release the pressure. May not even be needed to get all the way through. Next a slide hammer.

Alternative, if you have a 2-leg puller you can hook in the two holes from the inside and jack from the rear member.

Yes. If you can cut top and bottom it will release the pressure. May not even be needed to get all the way through. Next a slide hammer.

Alternative, if you have a 2-leg puller you can hook in the two holes from the inside and jack from the rear member.

Ok.. Im done for today. I need to pack for a business trip tomorrow and Im too tired to swing that 6lb hammer any more.

This thing is a straight up BIATCH!!!!

this is where I am at... and it is not budging still. If I didn't know, I would say it is welded, but there are no welds anywhere.

You cant really tell in this picture, but the top and bottom are bent down quite a bit.
IMG_4474.jpg

Im out of blades, out of energy, and done for a few days.

thanks

Shane

Oh Man.....!

Well...its so knackered now...you might as well keep cutting it. Your only hope at this point is to cut 'kerfs' (the widest blade you can find) as far back as you can. Obviously with a reciprocating saw you can't go all the way to the back. Then 'maybe' you can hammer the sides towards one another to relieve the pressure.

Most likely the ball shank wouldn't go into the receiver far enough for the holes to line up for the 5/8" pin.

So...someone drove the shank in...until they did. That creates an incredible amount of friction. With a 2" receiver tube and a shank probably at least 6" long...you would have roughly 48 sq. in. of contact area (all under pressure). Thousands of pounds of pressure required to dislodge it.

Unless you're just a glutton for punishment or one of those guys that won't be beat I'd take it to a welding shop, let them torch it off of there and weld in a NEW receiver tube. Take all of 20 minutes.

And suppose you finally get the shank out and while celebrating your 'victory' you discover the receiver tube is undersized! Then... you'll have to replace it anyway (or grind down a shank to fit it).

One thing that would behoove every man to learn (the younger the better) is: When to quit. ;)

You've got it on the run.

I'd cut it top and bottom... if it doesn't pop free then... cut both side walls.

You're there, sleep well.

Notch the backside with an angle grinder so you can get the blade all the way through. Or use a piece of flat stock through that small opening on the backside and hammer it out.

I’m with flintknapper, after all that work that receiver tube will probably be undersized since you’ve read of others with this same issue, get it cut out and replaced with a proper tube, which can be picked up at about any farm or trailer supply store.

I'm with the guy's above, treat it like a bushing, and slowly cut through it until the wall is thin enough to be overcome with a pry bar/hammer. May have to cut more than one side, just slow way down when you get to the edge, you can even finish up a cut with a hacksaw blade with a plumbers handle or whatever.

Well, I had to leave town on business, so my wife is taking care of this. The guys at the shop are cutting it out now... They said it was the worst stuck hitch they had ever seen.

55163350555__40595C39-DF51-4425-95D2-7E47B0F57492.jpeg

Well, I had to leave town on business, so my wife is taking care of this. The guys at the shop are cutting it out now... They said it was the worst stuck hitch they had ever seen.

View attachment 1730504

Nice of the Mrs. to step out in the shop and oversee the effort.

Nice of the Mrs. to step out in the shop and oversee the effort.
Well it is her rig... Note the "Twilight" sticker on the back. Ugggg... as soon as the emu wings were installed she hit both sides with Twilight stickers.

"You have to let people know." She said. :(

That said... she calls and says... "OMG... they are so so so nice here. They just dropped everything and everyone came over to help. "

Moral of the story... send your hot wife to the sweaty guys at the fab shop to get things done. LOLOLOOLOLOL

Well, I had to leave town on business, so my wife is taking care of this.

^^^^ Atta Girl!

True to the female sex...they will not spend an inordinate amount of time trying to 'fix' something.

Instead they 'replace it'. Which is the smarter thing to do...sometimes. :clap:

View attachment 1730504
Torch in one hand and a walking cane in the other. First time I’ve seen that combo. Big time respect from me.

^^^^ Atta Girl!

True to the female sex...they will not spend an inordinate amount of time trying to 'fix' something.

Instead they 'replace it'. Which is the smarter thing to do...sometimes. :clap:

“Replace it” with a Dissent Bumper

“Replace it” with a Dissent Bumper
I actually love my 4x4Labs bumper. Even If I didn't purchase the rig with the 4x4 labs bumper, I probably would have went with one from Luke anyway. Dissent makes awesome stuff... but its not for this rig. I just feel they are too "Erector Set" looking. To each their own :)

Ok.. so gents... My wife has brought this to a conclusion. It took the shop 2 hours to get the hitch out, but all is perfect now. The shop has been in business for 50 years with and they said it was the most stuck hitch he had ever seen and if he didn't see it with his own eyes, he would have sworn it was welded in.

That said, it is testament to 4x4Labs bumper. I slammed on this thing so much, hammered, heated, beat, sawed, drilled... and when the old hitch came out the new receiver slide right in with no effort.

Leave it to my wife to fix it as she said... LOL

55165550183__3C6928A9-5EE5-437E-A5A0-97020557B9E2.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your help and guidance... I appreciate the community.:cheers::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom