Passing through NM, need suggestions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow Cruisers,
My 6yr old son and I are doing a 10 day Overlanding trip to the West. I am with the Tornado Alley Cruisers up in KC and we are we passing through your state tomorrow eventually headed to the GC (north rim) and beyond. We are planning our adventure as we go. Coming from KS, the idea so far is to come down 412 to Springer then perhaps up through Taos on 64 and back down and over to Jemez Springs. We are planning on camping somewhere along the way hopefully in Jemez Springs, but again, we could change all of it easily. The next day would get us near I-40 over to the north rim of the GC. I have an 06' non-locked LX on 33's with winch and air. I would love any suggestions on routes and easy - moderate trails along the way (considering it's just me and the boy) and/or any camping ideas. Thank You

Most of our National Forests are closed to camping (and even to any kind of off-pavement access) right now due to extreme fire danger. You're going to need to look up which ones are open for camping or find some private campgrounds outside the forests to camp in. Jemez is definitely closed.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. I was going to call the ranger offices this morning so I probably should have waited to post ‍:frown:. I thought I might run into this when the San Juan closed. Clearly we don't get out much. I hope you guys get some rain soon! Thanks for the help.

Most of our National Forests are closed to camping (and even to any kind of off-pavement access) right now due to extreme fire danger. You're going to need to look up which ones are open for camping or find some private campgrounds outside the forests to camp in. Jemez is definitely closed.

Last edited:
I would also check with the Grand Canyon rangers, as a lot of AZ was closed, I just don’t know how much or if they still are. The San Juan is open now with restriction, stage 2

Consider staying on Hwy 64 from Taos to Tres Piedras and west to Tierra Amarilla. It's a spectacular drive. With a 6 year old, I highly recommend turning north at TA, and driving the 10 miles or so to Chama, NM to check out the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad - an old narrow gauge line that runs along the NM-CO border for 64 miles. I talked with one of their employees when I came through there a couple of days ago, who said business was booming with the Durango-Silverton train being shut down with the fire this summer. There are lots of back country roads going in and out of the forest where the CTSR tracks run. Might be able to do some overland camping along those roads?? North central NM doesn't seem as dry as central NM this summer.

No better way to get a 6 year old interested in engines, gears, power, the blue collar work ethic, and American history than introducing him to steam locomotives!

Barry, this is awesome! I checked and Carson is stage II as I was hoping so we are good to camp, just no fire and that was expected. I've only been to Mt. Capulan so we are excited to really explore your state. Thank You.

Consider staying on Hwy 64 from Taos to Tres Piedras and west to Tierra Amarilla. It's a spectacular drive. With a 6 year old, I highly recommend turning north at TA, and driving the 10 miles or so to Chama, NM to check out the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad - an old narrow gauge line that runs along the NM-CO border for 64 miles. I talked with one of their employees when I came through there a couple of days ago, who said business was booming with the Durango-Silverton train being shut down with the fire this summer. There are lots of back country roads going in and out of the forest where the CTSR tracks run. Might be able to do some overland camping along those roads?? North central NM doesn't seem as dry as central NM this summer.

No better way to get a 6 year old interested in engines, gears, power, the blue collar work ethic, and American history than introducing him to steam locomotives!

great idea and state hwy 17 goes up into a beautiful high mountain valley where you could find some camping and the Rio Grande National Forest- Home is in stage 1, so camping and fires in approved camp sites are allowed.

Osier!!!

4358A340-970A-4C49-98F0-31E916113AD0.jpeg
Cross the Carson from just north of tres piedras on fs 87 to fs 17 on the rio grande, exit at cumbres pass or motor over to osier. Some mild water crossings and primitive roads and tons of places to camp.

Well a change of fortune, some friends randomly saw on FB that we were near Taos and let us stay in their small mansion tonight so I can't pass that up. I already love it here, I think we are going to eat lunch and find some trails up near Toas, then perhaps camp tomorrow night. Thanks so much for the help, you guys are awesome!

From Taos, go west on 64 to the Bridge to nowhere” and then over to Chama.

Is that fire still going over by the Filimore Scout Ranch?

From Taos, go west on 64 to the Bridge to nowhere” and then over to Chama.

Is that fire still going over by the Filimore Scout Ranch?
Philmont

I was in Angel Fire a week ago and talked to a lady at the Visitor's Center. She said the forest to the south of Hwy 64 in the Carson NF (Camino Real Ranger District) has 4wd roads and it's currently in Stage 2 restrictions so you can drive around in it. Plus, it's really close to Taos.

Just up the hill from Sublette on the C&TSRR is a great campsite. Several of us Cruiserheads camped there a couple years ago when we were chasing the train. The campsite was used by mountain men for their annual rendezvous dating back more than 200 years. Access to the campsite is south of Mogote a few miles, off of Hwy 17.

Sounds like your trip is going great!

DSCN3677.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, I studied them all. I think tomorrow I am going to talk to the visitor center real quick then head back thru Eagles Nest and over to Red River for some quick and easy trails... then back down to 64. I'll probably take 64 west checking out your suggestions along the way and then just find some random camp spot near Farmington or west of there depending on how tired we are. I need to make up some time today because I messed around so much checking out Angel fire and enjoying this sweet mountain house. We are at 8500ft and I am huffing and puffing already. I have got to get in shape, I am used to about 950ft lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, I studied them all. I think tomorrow I am going to talk to the visitor center real quick then head back thru Eagles Nest and over to Red River for some quick and easy trails... then back down to 64. I'll probably take 64 west checking out your suggestions along the way and then just find some random camp spot near Farmington or west of there depending on how tired we are. I need to make up some time today because I messed around so much checking out Angel fire and enjoying this sweet mountain house. We are at 8500ft and I am huffing and puffing already. I have got to get in shape, I am used to about 950ft lol.
Don't feel too bad. I live at 5,000 ft and still huff and puff at 8,500 ft.

I huff tying my shoes....

Carson Nat'l forest is about to go into closure mode.

Well, I am sure glad I asked you guys for suggestions as we would have missed so much here. Again, we spent way to much time hitting trails in Red River especially the one up to Goose Lake, definitely a fun trail. I saw that about Carson closing so I am glad we got there in time. My LX did great until the end of the trail. I could smell gas back by the gas door and just figured it was getting hot and sloshing around on the trail, but then the engine chugged and died. I open the cap to vent it and waited a few mins then it started back up. It died again after we did the Bridge to Nowhere going about 60mph, same thing, it's like it is vapor locking. I like the differences between East and West Carson, West feel a little more "Home on the Range". Chama is cool too, we will check out the RR here and might get up into CO as well.

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

I've seen one of the Hundies experiencing vapor locking on higher elevations when we went camping during Memorial Day. So, it's a "thing" apparently.

Glad you're enjoying yourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom