Next big expedition (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mitch, just remember the big picture when you compare driving vs shipping. Yes, gas and lodging might be cheaper, but gas and lodging aren’t your only costs. The IRS vehicle reimbursement rate is close to 50 cents a mile, and that’s a bunch of bean counters calculating the true cost of driving an average vehicle. Repairs, tires, depreciation etc. that’s an average vehicle too, not a huge 80 SUV. By that measure shipping is a similar cost and then throw in the value of vacation time.
There's not a simple single answer to this. Lots of factors involved, especially if you're still working or retired, or if working, how much vacation time you can get. Different people different situations. For the self employed (Jeff, Crusha, Ben) time away from work is time away from conducting business and keeping your income flowing. For an old retired guy like me time is not that much of a major consideration anymore.

Maybe a person's truck is suitable for the roads in Colorado or Utah but not that great on the interstates; my 40 would be a prime example. That's why I shipped it to Moab in 2016. Other vehicles are suited to almost everything, it's why guys like Mitch and Jeff outfit their rigs as expedition type vehicles. I believe that's the direction Steve is going with his Taco and my HDJ81 is pretty much the same.

I thoroughly enjoyed last year's Colorado trip from the moment I left home till the day I got back. The drive out was perfect, the trip around CO very good, and the ride home went without issue. I bought the 81 specifically to do that trip and it performed admirably. I didn't caravan out or back- yes it was not cheap to pay for hotel rooms and all the fuel myself but the drives out and back were both pleasant and enjoyable. Actually I happen to like driving long distances as long as I have a dependable vehicle. Mitch if you have to drive your truck without a passenger just go for it- the trip will be worthwhile making. Definitely a rite of passage for you and your rig.

Roughly looking at costs from last year, I used hotel rooms two nights out and two nights back, say $100 per night, total $400. Fuel use for 1600 miles each way, total of 3200 miles at 18mpg diesel my fuel cost was about $600. Between gas and hotels total of $1000, and add some money for food and incidentals, maybe $200. So roughly $1200 for the drive out and back. Salt Lake City is a good 400 miles from Idaho Springs, our terminus last year so figure fuel anyway for that mileage each way. Total might be about $1400-$1500, could be even more if a heavily loaded gas powered 80 series truck costs more to run on the interstate than my diesel. Shipping let's say $2400 for the ride out and back and another $300 for the flight, total $2700. If the difference in cost doesn't make up for time lost at work or if you just plain don't want to spend three days on the road each way shipping is the ticket. If you have the time and proper vehicle, and want to drive out and back, that is by far the least expensive way. All depends on each person's perspective. That's my two cents...……….

There's not a simple single answer to this. Lots of factors involved, especially if you're still working or retired, or if working, how much vacation time you can get. Different people different situations. For the self employed (Jeff, Crusha, Ben) time away from work is time away from conducting business and keeping your income flowing. For an old retired guy like me time is not that much of a major consideration anymore.

Maybe a person's truck is suitable for the roads in Colorado or Utah but not that great on the interstates; my 40 would be a prime example. That's why I shipped it to Moab in 2016. Other vehicles are suited to almost everything, it's why guys like Mitch and Jeff outfit their rigs as expedition type vehicles. I believe that's the direction Steve is going with his Taco and my HDJ81 is pretty much the same.

I thoroughly enjoyed last year's Colorado trip from the moment I left home till the day I got back. The drive out was perfect, the trip around CO very good, and the ride home went without issue. I bought the 81 specifically to do that trip and it performed admirably. I didn't caravan out or back- yes it was not cheap to pay for hotel rooms and all the fuel myself but the drives out and back were both pleasant and enjoyable. Actually I happen to like driving long distances as long as I have a dependable vehicle. Mitch if you have to drive your truck without a passenger just go for it- the trip will be worthwhile making. Definitely a rite of passage for you and your rig.

Roughly looking at costs from last year, I used hotel rooms two nights out and two nights back, say $100 per night, total $400. Fuel use for 1600 miles each way, total of 3200 miles at 18mpg diesel my fuel cost was about $600. Between gas and hotels total of $1000, and add some money for food and incidentals, maybe $200. So roughly $1200 for the drive out and back. Salt Lake City is a good 400 miles from Idaho Springs, our terminus last year so figure fuel anyway for that mileage each way. Total might be about $1400-$1500, could be even more if a heavily loaded gas powered 80 series truck costs more to run on the interstate than my diesel. Shipping let's say $2400 for the ride out and back and another $300 for the flight, total $2700. If the difference in cost doesn't make up for time lost at work or if you just plain don't want to spend three days on the road each way shipping is the ticket. If you have the time and proper vehicle, and want to drive out and back, that is by far the least expensive way. All depends on each person's perspective. That's my two cents...……….
Well, that's about how I feel Shmukster. I would'n consider driving a 40 out west but I fell my 80 is up to the task and I have all the comfort of a modern vehicle.

Thinking about it, you made the CO trip by yourself last year. Don't remember how many day it took you...3 or 4? Although I would very much like to split the behind the wheel time with another driver, now I think I might just do this all by my lonesomeness, if nobody else wants to catch a ride Out West.

I think you just helped me make up my mind,Shmukster:)

Three days each way for me last year. Drive out past Indianapolis first day, second day in Kansas, and third day a relatively short drive to Idaho Springs. Three days to Moab is realistic. You guys did the samf thing as me on the way home, another three day jaunt.

Three days each way for me last year. Drive out past Indianapolis first day, second day in Kansas, and third day a relatively short drive to Idaho Springs. Three days to Moab is realistic. You guys did the samf thing as me on the way home, another three day jaunt.
That's what I thought. A lot of driving, but doable. At this point, I'm pretty sure that if this will be my only option in November, I'll do it.

hello fellas, had to figure out work situation before I could commit any further than I all ready had. Im pretty comfortable with that now so I am in.
I agree that the Va. crew needs at least one more person, if not two. Two trucks four people, constant rotation makes for a more enjoyable trip. I understand it can be done solo like The Stud Skmuster did last outing but I personally would want someone else with me. We have other club members that could be in on this trip, might need a little coaxing (Blowers, Stumper,Mr Heston) its still early. There is always the thought of taking one less truck. One truck three drivers sounds ok. It would be the truck that gets better gas mileage right ? Seems like most involved will be at Coal mine so we can have more fun planning then

Tracy Barker would certainly be a strong contender to join as well seeing how he is already out there and has made it the last two trips. My intention would be to fly out. Most likely with Old Fart. It’s just going to be way easier to miss work for more like a week, than two. If we have passenger space issues, I’d be more than inclined to rent something out of Moab. We found our wagons were way overbuilt last time, and even if it’s only a Heep it will get the job done. I will wish my Taco was there and Tiki, but when I’m retired like Schmucko and Bob I’ll drive every time.
Ping @SAS

hello fellas, had to figure out work situation before I could commit any further than I all ready had. Im pretty comfortable with that now so I am in.
I agree that the Va. crew needs at least one more person, if not two. Two trucks four people, constant rotation makes for a more enjoyable trip. I understand it can be done solo like The Stud Skmuster did last outing but I personally would want someone else with me. We have other club members that could be in on this trip, might need a little coaxing (Blowers, Stumper,Mr Heston) its still early. There is always the thought of taking one less truck. One truck three drivers sounds ok. It would be the truck that gets better gas mileage right ? Seems like most involved will be at Coal mine so we can have more fun planning then
Great, now that you are in for sure, how about we set a departing date. This is just to help with leave request from work. We can discuss this further down the road, but the sooner the better. November 1st is on a Thursday. I figure we can leave here the previous Sunday or Monday.

Thanks, @Pacer ! I'll watch this thread for updates. Let me know if there are any specific intel / recon requirements. The timing is such that I may (likely) be able to visit the area and get answers for you guys (the Utah trailsoffroad Crew is hosting a long weekend event in the San Rafael Swell in mid-October).

In particular, we could actually leave SLC, drive south and down through Capitol Reef Nat'l Park

Late October/early November is fantastic in southern Utah. Two years ago a few of us did a trek down through Utah and southern Nevada, to the Mojave Road and a long weekend in Calico, CA. Here's a preview of the Cathedral Valley:
Cathedral Valley Loop, Utah – Trails Offroad – Blog

We did a long 8 hour drive the first day. With a 2 hour breakdown. 10 hours total. 2nd day was a 8 hour day driving and the 3rd day was only a 6 hour driving day. So we rotated drivers every 2 hours.

I hope you can find a 4th person. Maybe the other Moab bailer from lest trip can make it!

Thanks, @Pacer ! I'll watch this thread for updates. Let me know if there are any specific intel / recon requirements. The timing is such that I may (likely) be able to visit the area and get answers for you guys (the Utah trailsoffroad Crew is hosting a long weekend event in the San Rafael Swell in mid-October).

Late October/early November is fantastic in southern Utah. Two years ago a few of us did a trek down through Utah and southern Nevada, to the Mojave Road and a long weekend in Calico, CA. Here's a preview of the Cathedral Valley:
Thanks Tracy, always a wealth of enthusiasm and information! I think I can say we would all enjoy your company on this ride.

Reactions: SAS

It will be good to see you man :beer:

Is everyone OK with the dates and flight times below? I have a credit from the flight I had to cancel last year and I would like to go ahead and book the flight to SLC.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Lend me your ears:

Here are the preliminary details for an epic trip to explore UTAH. I am happy to work out a good many of the logistics and do the research on route planning, mapping, etc. Early November should be fantastic weather wise - low 70s/low 40s in Lake Powell, HiTR area and low 60s/low 30s in western CO at end of the Kokopelli.

Dates: Nov 1 - Nov 10th.

Tentative plan:
11/1 - fly into SLC. (Delta, $301 round trip, PHL to SLC, direct flight, arrives 837pm). Overnight in SLC hotel or just outside of SLC.
11/2 - gather supplies, hit the pavement down to start of HOLE IN THE ROCK TRAIL. (maps suggest 5hr45min drive time). Overnight at camp spot at start of HiTR.
11/3 - HiTR trail day 1. Overnight at end of trail or super secret location
11/4 - HiTR trail day 2. Overnight at end of trail or super secret location
11/5 - HiTR trail day 3. Travel to Moab. Camp in Moab.
11/6 - Kokopelli trail day 1.
11/7 - Kokopelli trail day 2.
11/8 - Kokopelli trail day 3, camp near Fruta, CO at end of the trail.
11/9 - pavement from Fruta to SLC. (maps suggest 4hr30min drive time). Private tour of Land Cruiser Heritage Museum Home hopefully led by the famous @cruiserdan. camp in the back of one of the Expedition 7 vehicles inside the museum that still have RTTs mounted to them. Or hotel in SLC.
11/10 - fly out of SLC. (Delta, $301 round trip, SLC to PHL, one stop, departs 11am, arrives 654pm).

For those of you who are driving, you can leave 11/9 am from Fruta, CO to start heading east.

Shipping trucks from Manhiem Auto Auction to SLC will be roughly $2,200 to 2,600 round trip.

We can discuss and fine tune the details and intinerary, but the above plan gives us enough time to tackle two very famous, awesome trails. It's easy to cut off parts of the Kokopelli if needed if we run into problems or @Pacer breaks down. For now, let's lock down the dates and get a preliminary head count of who can make it. I believe we should cap this to a max of 7 trucks.

Please post any comments or feedback and provide a fairly realistic idea if you can make it!

Guys, I'm out. After a lot of soul searching I decided that the Utah trip is too primitive conditions and communication-wise for me. I'm sure it's gonna be an awesome trip and that I'll be jealous as all get out while you guys are out there but it just isn't gonna happen for me. For sure I'll be following the preparations and whatever daily info you guys post.

I made them up so the dates are good with me :)

Are you guys going to fly out of Dulles?
If there's an earlier arrival option on Nov 1 you guys could get there early and have all of our trucks washed and cleaned and ready to go!!

Guys, I'm out. After a lot of soul searching I decided that the Utah trip is too primitive conditions and communication-wise for me. I'm sure it's gonna be an awesome trip and that I'll be jealous as all get out while you guys are out there but it just isn't gonna happen for me. For sure I'll be following the preparations and whatever daily info you guys post.

Totally get it, Gary. We'll miss ya!

You can't bail Gary! That will leave me as the old, mature, sensible guy in the group. Your presence will be missed but I understand your decision.

If Bob is the most mature and sensible in the group we might want to reconsider our itinerary and book 10 nights at the Hilton in Salt Lake City.

Which reminds me, is Utah still limited to 3.2 beer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom