Rear Drawer Systems (1 Viewer)

Price range of interest

• 800-1000.00 Range

• 1000-1500.00 Range

• 1500 and higher Range

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TRAIL TAILOR

Enabler
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
trail-tailor.com
Trying to get a feeler on who might be interested in custom 60 series rear drawers. As most know about 90% of the offering out there require you to beat in the wheel wells to get the "standard" production models to fit. Then they squeak and rub holes in panels and the drawers themselves.

A couple of doors down I have a custom cabinet maker and we were talking yesterday about making a set for my Poppy rig. Right now we are looking at making my set out of a combination of aluminum and 7 layer birch plywood. Accuride soft close slides with locking doors and pullouts.

These will be a higher end offering and only built in batches of 5-10 sets at a time.

No pics yet, just in the brainstorming phase. Possibly looking to make these in a separate Left or Right section as well for add-ons later or to stack drawers.

I will be watching, I have been brainstorming drawers for a bit now, left/right and stackable sounds pretty interesting to me.

I would add these to my list of wants for my 60...it would make my top 4

Will be watching too.

Sliding top with recessed t-nuts (for fridge or gear access) would be nice.

Looking forward to what you cook up here.

Make that 2 north of Seattle that are interested. Clearing the cobwebs off the Walrus this weekend and getting back to it.

Whatever happened to the ones you were thinking of importing from Australia? Didn't that kind of stall due to lack of people willing to pony up? Do you think this version would be cheaper and therefore generate more interest?

For me a drawer system, particularly a modular one with several configuration options, would be a very desirable addition to any 60 series. Personal preference for me would be something strong enough to be a sleeping platform and with some good, serious, locking options for security. Honestly I would take anything good to look at and secure over some of the other cargo area storage options any day of the week.

Even 800-1000 is a lot of money for drawers. I am sure these things could be quite nice. But I could not see my money being spent on them at that price. I think for a lot of lower end cruisers, and guys without a lot of disposable money they could convince someone for a drawer box under 500, even maybe 600.

Anything more than that and I would be getting out the 3/4 plywood, glue, screws and buying for drawer glides. Lots of homemade ones can look pretty nice once you throw some marine carpet on them.

Even 800-1000 is a lot of money for drawers. I am sure these things could be quite nice. But I could not see my money being spent on them at that price. I think for a lot of lower end cruisers, and guys without a lot of disposable money they could convince someone for a drawer box under 500, even maybe 600.

Anything more than that and I would be getting out the 3/4 plywood, glue, screws and buying for drawer glides. Lots of homemade ones can look pretty nice once you throw some marine carpet on them.

Wood and I are not friends, but I think I can cobble something together for less that 500 as well that would be functional.

However, while there is a market for these. I have a felling it is not large, the 80's would be larger I would imaging.

Very interested. Would this be something offered as a kit? Or a finished product? (I'd prefer a kit).

You could be the Ikea of 60-series drawer systems! Let's figure out a Swedish-sounding name for the product.... GRööNKPULLA?

Materials alone as of today (buying 20 complete sets at a time) is 439.33. This does not include labor to design, cut, or box and ship. I won't buy 24.00 home depot plywood to build things from. It's usually already starting to de-laminate and there are gaps in the layers. Not to mention as crooked as a politicians spine.

The 800.00 mark in the poll looks to be more like 9-925.00 to start now after digging a little deeper. There are plenty of DIY and less expensive options, hence why I didn't offer the poll to start at those price points and for the guys that have a saw and a hammer to build something to throw in the back that would serve their purposes for their budget.

These won't be for everyone, I quite trying to support everyone's budget, it proved to be an extremely thankless endeavor.

Very interested. Would this be something offered as a kit? Or a finished product? (I'd prefer a kit).

You could be the Ikea of 60-series drawer systems! Let's figure out a Swedish-sounding name for the product.... GRööNKPULLA?

Alf, Unfortunately a few on previous projects ruined the deal on anymore "kits" of any kind from me...

Then I voted for the $1 - $1.5K with built in Jacuzzi. :)

I've wanted to build one of these for a long time, but never got around to it, so a nice, efficiently-designed one would be great. People don't realize how much the material costs are for one of these, even if you're using medium-grade ply and Chinese hardware.

Materials alone as of today (buying 20 complete sets at a time) is 439.33. This does not include labor to design, cut, or box and ship. I won't buy 24.00 home depot plywood to build things from. It's usually already starting to de-laminate and there are gaps in the layers. Not to mention as crooked as a politicians spine.

The 800.00 mark in the poll looks to be more like 9-925.00 to start now after digging a little deeper. There are plenty of DIY and less expensive options, hence why I didn't offer the poll to start at those price points and for the guys that have a saw and a hammer to build something to throw in the back that would serve their purposes for their budget.

These won't be for everyone, I quite trying to support everyone's budget, it proved to be an extremely thankless endeavor.

As someone who custom builds projects out of wood, never sell yourself short.

There will always be people who "can" build it themselves. But if that was the case they would have done it for themselves already .

Price it at what it's worth to you and if someone can't afford it, than there is nothing stopping them from getting a tape measure, a saw and some lumber to build and design it on their own.

As someone who custom builds projects out of wood, never sell yourself short.

There will always be people who "can" build it themselves. But if that was the case they would have done it for themselves already .

Price it at what it's worth to you and if someone can't afford it, than there is nothing stopping them from getting a tape measure, a saw and some lumber to build and design it on their own.

Well as you know making something out of wood and quality materials can become very costly. 5/8" baltic birch vs. 5/8" ACX plywood is a no brainer when it comes to quality, workability and longevity.

If this happens I'll be doing the little assembly items, where the cabinet maker will be doing all the main structure, rabbit and dovetailing joints, cutting for all the latches, locks and slides.

J

Whatever happened to the ones you were thinking of importing from Australia? Didn't that kind of stall due to lack of people willing to pony up? Do you think this version would be cheaper and therefore generate more interest?

For me a drawer system, particularly a modular one with several configuration options, would be a very desirable addition to any 60 series. Personal preference for me would be something strong enough to be a sleeping platform and with some good, serious, locking options for security. Honestly I would take anything good to look at and secure over some of the other cargo area storage options any day of the week.

When it was all said and done the drawers were ~5/16" too wide for the 60. They wouldn't change the dims unless it was for a MASS RUN, 100 sets. Plus I want a more customizable solution. Something I can make work for my needs better. The generic drawers are great for throwing a bunch of bulky things in, but all the intricate items are not really addressed.

I plan on using Accuride 9308E slides which are a HD lock in/lock out slide with around a 600# rating. No plastic.

FYI the lumber yards are giving us warnings that material lead time and costs are going up due to Canada Tariffs.

Also....having just rebuilt my entire house....we used zip panels for the exterior panels and roof and we used Advantec for most of the flooring base material. A lot better than traditional plywood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom