Need advice on removing thermostat housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj moneypit

Cubic Zirconia Member
SILVER Star
Threads
My latest money pit is an fj40 with a thermostat housing that the PO looks to have broken the heads off. I was going to remove the bottom housing to the block but even after soaking for a couple days in pb blaster the still won’t budge and the other feels slightly stripped. Just trying to put new thermostat in. Anything else before I torch or chop the top housing off!

Thanks
580ED061-745C-4C95-A82C-D709BB122FC5.jpeg

There are no other fasteners retaining the upper half to the lower at this point.
Separate the housings, then heat and cool what's left of the bolt, spraying down with the penetrating oil of choice after the heating cycle prior to clamping a vise grip on, then heat the fastener one last time and spin it out.

There are no other fasteners retaining the upper half to the lower at this point.
Separate the housings, then heat and cool what's left of the bolt, spraying down with the penetrating oil of choice after the heating cycle prior to clamping a vise grip on, then heat the fastener one last time and spin it out.

Yeah it’s amazing it won’t budge and they drove it that way. I gently pried on it tapped with rubber mallet and nothing. Guess I’ll bring the torch

Good point brian makes. There's really nothing keeping the 2 halves togethe. Tap, tap, pry, pry and separate the 2 halves. Maybe stick a solid screwdriver into the hose hole & pry & tap.

Going to require gentle heat on the hole bosses.
The heads twisted off both fasteners, due to corrosion between the upper housing and the bolts...looks like the broke almost right below the heads.

Remove the bottom housing using heat/penetrant on the bolts into the head. Get them cherry red to break the electrochemical weld.

Do the same for the bolts in the two housing halves. May take a couple cycles of cherry red/penetrant, but they will separate and then do the same to the lower and remove the bolt stubs. You can save the housing this way.

Heat and aerokroil oil. Keep tapping to get the top separated. Once the top is off, then the fun begins! More heat, aerokroil, maybe weld a nut on the broken bolt, pray some, kiss your wife (or significant other) and hopefully you dont have to remove the lower portion and break any bolts on the head.

If you do get things apart, use antisieze when putting it back together.

hey @emac

Just went through this , the heat torch & PB blaster did not work in my case

I simply went with a @Racer65 / cityracerllc.com Thermostat housing Kit , it proved much " Painless" in the end

DSCN7448.JPG
DSCN7450.JPG
DSCN7451.JPG
DSCN7458.JPG
DSCN7590.JPG

Thanks all. I’ve used the tap & pry method. On to the heat!

hey @emac

Just went through this , the heat torch & PB blaster did not work in my case

I simply went with a @Racer65 / cityracerllc.com Thermostat housing Kit , it proved much " Painless" in the end

View attachment 1730177 View attachment 1730178 View attachment 1730180 View attachment 1730181 View attachment 1730182

If torch and pb didn’t work what did you do?

Yes. City Racer will hook you up.

Well here we are. Damn rust! Lower housing cracked after pb blaster, heat, pry, tap and repeat! I prefer this better because I can get at the bolts better, just don’t like the fact that they’re so stuck in the block.

DAA4C467-4034-49AB-9449-0E96DD34A8E5.jpeg

I could have predicted that. In case someone else should find this thread down the road, if the heads are broken on your tstat housing, DO NOT attempt to pry the two halves apart while the housing is still attached to the block.

The good news for you Stephen is that the torch should work for you now. And if you want a period correct housing without the extra two sensor holes that the FJ60 housing comes with, I have about 20 good used units in stock.

For Sale - Section 040-67-74 FJ40, 55 Thermostat housings, SoCal

Last edited:
i have found that an impct set on low so it wont break the bolts sets up a vibration and helps loosen them.work it back and forth or forward and reverse

i have found that an impct set on low so it wont break the bolts sets up a vibration and helps loosen them.work it back and forth or forward and reverse

That’s the plan. Worked on a couple other bolts on the motor. I’m glad it broke! The housing was rust galore inside

Come on, you all knew it would come to this! Patience is a virtue that I lack. Got one out though. Next? Drilling? welding? Extractor?

A36C9C5A-7540-4720-A6E8-B1A2652A768E.jpeg
C6074AEF-DAFC-4B7D-BD44-7B9895035140.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom