Rear pinion seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just changed the rear pinion seal on my 1969 FJ45 and I'm a bit confused about how tight to do up the nut on the shaft.

My Haynes manual has 14ft/lbs for differential pinion shaft pin (that must be something else???)
FSM has 145-173 ft/lbs
MUD threads recommend counting the number of turns when undoing the nut and putting it back the way it was.

My nut was only finger tight when I undid it (held with a split pin).

Any suggestions welcome

The 14#s is for the cross shaft in the carrier.
For the pinion nut get it tight, around 150#s and use red locktight. It doesn't have to be an exact torque value because there is a spacer on the pinion with shims setting bearing preload. You just need to keep that tight.

The 14#s is for the cross shaft in the carrier.
For the pinion nut get it tight, around 150#s and use red locktight. It doesn't have to be an exact torque value because there is a spacer on the pinion with shims setting bearing preload. You just need to keep that tight.

Thanks for that.

In hindsight I guess I should have checked the bearing before doing the seal but I'm on a mission to get it roadworthy. It's been sitting gathering dust to long.....

Thanks for that.

In hindsight I guess I should have checked the bearing before doing the seal but I'm on a mission to get it roadworthy. It's been sitting gathering dust to long.....

If the oil was not real nasty and you didn't notice a bunch of slop odds are it's fine.
If it's howling after you get going take a look.

I'll keep my ears open!! Chances are it won't be doing big miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom