Prinsu Install - Modified (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After lurching around here for a while and reading a lot of threads here and on the TW forum, i decided to get a Prinsu rack. After reading several threads on here, the one thing i definitely knew i wasn't going to be crazy about was its interface with the truck. I decided to build my own mounting blocks. It wasn't very difficult and i figured i would post the instructions here to help anyone who is interested in doing this themselves.

First step was to identify what i was going to make the mounting blocks out of. After doing some measuring i decided to go with t6061 aluminum. Generally strong and easy to work with. I decided the feet would be .75" wide and 1" tall. Each foot would be 5 inches long to provide enough mounting surface and area for a sealant. A 48" stick can be obtained from local metal distributors for about $50.

Step 2 - Cut up the metal into 5" sections and file/grind the edges smooth where the cut takes place. A band saw would have been ideal, but i used a chop saw with a friction blade as this is what i had access to.

tgrtJjXbSNu%PN9mivFs%w.jpg

Step 3 - paint the feet with white poly primer. i put them in place under each foot to ensure they were all the same. There was some variance. not much but some, so i marked them with a pencil and checked all the measurements. Then drilled each one twice with a 1/2" drill bit on a cheap harbor freight drill press at work.

cFOrLyq+QmSjQmcayepaQw.jpg

GEvXzk82Sb6n8bEudMJJ0g.jpg

Step 4 - Paint the feet as well as all of the hardware with duplicolor textured undercoating.

vnkscPOCSPqP53wKNZErSA.jpg

FI3nCdi6RWifizpOBccFUQ.jpg

Last edited:
After a quick dry fit i resized the Prinsu does not hug the roofline as nicely as i would have hoped, so i went back and made .25" spaces for the 4 corner feet. This cost me another $25 to get a 30" stick of .25" by .75" to make spacers the same dimensions as the feet.
WiSR3d7+RFOac+foASaMMA.jpg

after another dry run, this has mostly fixed the fitment issue. So now on to step 5 - assembly. These are the products i used in assembly

WSW3SJqXQpiHBOMiXGuuFw.jpg

applied liberal amounts of sealant

aklbWE5PQoigf62FV6Pi5Q.jpg

8aJ22OYJSLK0U2tMHi%d%w.jpg

finished installing the cross bars and tested for leaks today
FoK1fTlGTf+8ddH03hrvmw.jpg

I still have 3 cross bars left. Not sure if i will use them or not. I dont plan on putting a roof top tent on it. I use it for camping and some offoading and trail riding, but i would not call anything that i do "overloading" mostly some "Homedepotlanding" to get drywall or ply wood. I also have a large rocket box i can mount on here now with out it shaking like crazy at 80mph like it did on the OEM Roof rack.

I will say i am going to have to fix the gap in the front. There is more wind noise than i would like. Its not terrible, but more than there should be.

Excellent work @littlegreenmonster This is exactly what I was envisioning doing with my rack, much better interface with the truck, great job. :cheers:

FYI, you can source rubber trim strips from a variety of vendors to fill the gap between the fairing and your roof, I got mine from a specialty store in Denver. If you do this I recommend you put a strip of clear bra type of material under the trim to protect your paint.

Thanks Yossarian. I was thinking about that or maybe even just cutting a new front panel.

0B0765DC-E996-4095-9DB6-171BD8E8D4EC.jpeg

I went ahead and drilled new holes to drop the fairing. Now there is only about a .5” gap. Maybe less. I am going to put a second cross bar in the front to creat more height. I am going to order a channel filler molding for the top one so it won’t have wind noise. Once I have that I will post an updated photo. This setup should provide some additional rigidity and mounting options as well.

77F50655-C02B-45D7-888D-AF8D8F9FCA19.jpeg

Lowering the front fairing also opens up a door for adding a single row (or double row) bug catcher:D

And still maintaining a pretty low profile...

IMG_9368.jpg

So I have been traveling a lot the last couple of weeks and have just now gotten time to work on the rack some more. I went and picked up a t-channel cover strip for about $4 from Grainger. it comes in 96" sections and fits perfect.

FAZTEK Cover,T-Slot,Black,for 5JA86,etc. - 5JB20|10AC7751 - Grainger

tcover.jpg

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

I still need to figure out what i want to do for weather stripping between the fairing and the roof of the truck. I also am going to fill the channels on the roof back in with the OEM weather stripping.

@littlegreenmonster , would you pick a Prinsu if you started all over again?

Yes. The install was more complicated than other brands, but i feel that this is really the best all around rack out there. Being made from the t-channel, the configuration options are infinite. You can get what you need to make your own attachments at Grainger or other industrial supply stores. All this being said i am not an "overlander". My truck gets used for road trips, offroading, camping, tailgating at football games, hauling kids, going to Lowes or Home Depot, and occasionally towing. I dont carry around a roof top tent and tons of "just in case" gear.

Last edited:
I am going to the mountains in a few days so i decided to go ahead and put my rocket box on it. I decided to plasti-dip it white first though. On a previous trip i had a stick of deodorant melt due to it getting so hot inside. Hopefully this will help some.

plasti1.jpg

plasti2.jpg

rocketbox1.jpg

rocketbox2.jpg

right now i have it held on with the factory clamps, but not really that happy about how i have to space the cross bars tom make this happen. next project will be to make custom plates to attache it between the rails instead of around the rails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom