Rear Disc Brake Conversion ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the Jeep community it's quite common to replace the rear drum brakes with disc brakes for better braking performance with bigger tires or when the transfer case ratio is changed to 4:1.
In 2000 I replaced the drum brakes on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee with 11" disc from a Lincoln Versaille, calipers from a Cadillac Eldorado, modified proportioning valve and stainless braided brake lines.
Has anyone upgraded the rear brakes on a 90+ 70 series truck or troop carrier to disc brakes and what parts are involved?

I have the 6 bolt rear hubs, but I am not sure which rear differential I have.
Anyone have pictures or a definite way to identify the differentials?

Thanks for vehicle parts info.
How many gear ratios come in those differentials ?
I need to determine the gear ratio installed in my differential.
Would it be easier to remove the drum brakes and install the disc brake parts on the installed differential ?

You can swap the third member from your truck in that disc brake axle if you don’t have 4.11 gears .

Hello,

Another option is using the rear disc brakes of the FJ Cruiser. Same size, less fabrication involved.

Someone here did that conversion on an HZJ73.

Juan

Hello,

Another option is using the rear disc brakes of the FJ Cruiser. Same size, less fabrication involved.

Someone here did that conversion on an HZJ73.

Didn’t all HZJ73’s came with rear disc brakes from the factory or is that only for the European market ?

Didn’t all HZJ73’s came with rear disc brakes from the factory or is that only for the European market ?

Hello,

Australian (and New Zealand) market 70 Series have rear disc brakes. Other markets had drum brakes.

I remember reading that sand buildup in the Australian Outback caused rear brake failures. This led Toyota to replace them with rear discs sometime in the 1980s. As far as I know it remains a market-specific option.

Juan

Hello,

Australian (and New Zealand) market 70 Series have rear disc brakes. Other markets had drum brakes.

I remember reading that sand buildup in the Australian Outback caused rear brake failures. This led Toyota to replace them with rear discs sometime in the 1980s. As far as I know it remains a market-specific option.

Juan

Swb and lwb 70 series in Europe had rear drum brakes only the HZJ73 had rear drum brakes and a few of the LJ and KZJ models but they had an 8” rear diff and coils.

In the Jeep community it's quite common to replace the rear drum brakes with disc brakes for better braking performance with bigger tires or when the transfer case ratio is changed to 4:1.
In 2000 I replaced the drum brakes on my 1998 Jeep Cherokee with 11" disc from a Lincoln Versaille, calipers from a Cadillac Eldorado, modified proportioning valve and stainless braided brake lines.
Has anyone upgraded the rear brakes on a 90+ 70 series truck or troop carrier to disc brakes and what parts are involved?

I have the 6 bolt rear hubs, but I am not sure which rear differential I have.
Anyone have pictures or a definite way to identify the differentials?

Hi Charles,

Fairly easy to do a disc brake conversion if you can't find a complete disc axle. I am doing a disc brake conversion as I type this on an FJ40 rear axle. It is a kit offered here in the USA.

On a Nissan Patrol I had the rear axle disc brake conversion was home brew. Chevy rotors and calipers and a custom mount was about all it took to do the custom conversion.

Your rear axle is 6 on 5.5" For the bolt pattern so that is where you start with doing a custom disc conversion. You need rotors that match that unless you want to drill a set of rotors which I don't recommend because it is not necessary.

Dump all the drum brake parts and the backing plate and off you go! Once you have a rotor that works, all you need is a caliper that also works in terms of where the mounts will land and after that it is simply either a bolt on plate to hold the rotor or fab up a bracket and weld it to the axle housing. Finish it off with the brake line modifications and master cylinder to match. Whalllaaah! Very nice discs brakes in the rear! You can order all of this from the USA but I suggest sourcing what is available locally to you so that in the future pads and so forth are easy to get.

Cheers

Last edited:
Oh ya and if you dump the stock rear drums you need to deal with the e-brake or you won't have one.

Three options here,

#1: adapt a t-case ebrake from a Patrol or a custom fitted set up. Kits in the USA are available to do this and it is the best ebrake setup hands down.

#2: Try and fit 80-series style rear rotors with a drum ebrake built into them. Chevy and others also did the same set up. Not worth the effort at all because these style ebrakes suck.

#3: Use a caliper with a built in ebrake lever, look to Chevy or in Australia Holden for this. This is the second best option and even arguably the best option. More difficult to fit though and not as many options. I had this set up on my Patrol and it worked very well.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Charles,

Fairly easy to do a disc brake conversion if you can't find a complete disc axle. I am doing a disc brake conversion as I type this on an FJ40 rear axle. It is a kit offered here in the USA.

On a Nissan Patrol I had the rear axle disc brake conversion was home brew. Chevy rotors and calipers and a custom mount was about all it took to do the custom conversion.

Your rear axle is 6 on 5.5" so that is where you start with doing a custom disc conversion. You need rotors that match that unless you want to drill a set of rotors which I don't recommend because it is not necessary.

Dump all the drum brake parts and the backing plate and off you go! Once you have a rotor that works, all you need is a caliper that also works in terms of where the mounts will land and after that it is simply either a bolt on plate to hold the rotor or fab up a bracket and weld it to the axle housing. Finish it off with the brake line modifications and master cylinder to match. Whalllaaah! Very nice discs brakes in the rear! You can order all of this from the USA but I suggest sourcing what is available locally to you so that in the future pads and so forth are easy to get.

Cheers

Could you provide me with a link to the kit you are referring to that is available in the USA ?

Thank you.....

Ive had the rear drum and reaR disc brake models. I think the drum works fine if its properly serviced and adjusted. With the disc rear, you still end up with a drum for the handbrake that requires the same maintenance as standard drums.

Last edited:
Could you provide me with a link to the kit you are referring to that is available in the USA ?

Thank you.....

Sure!

Contact @Poser here on the forum and here is a thread about the kit he sells.

I do not know if this will work on a 70-series.

Rear Disc Brakes...

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom