Console Switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Orange Hat

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

Been enjoying the 2018 Land Cruiser over the last week and I have begun putting together a mental list of "to-do's". Part of that list is the electrical side of things (LED bar, side lights, hidden winch, dual battery, etc) which got me to thinking about switches. Now maybe it's just me but the switch panels to the left/right of the steering wheel at the knees is just really cramped for me (I have to move my knee out of the way, lean over and look down in there to identify/push the button). Looking for another spot for a switch or two, I saw that there are some blanks in the console:

4z8t6zX.jpg

They seem to have a different design or notch to them vs the typical blanks or switches at the knees so I'm curious if there were switches for the console that someone has tried?

For the switches around the knees, I've seen quite a few recommendations including these STEDI switches which look really nice...but, don't appear to work in the console area.

Y0eNL4V.jpg

Thanks everyone!

I'm actually looking to do the same, hoping to put in front and rear locker switches.

I'm OCD in wanting to maintain a "factory look" with add-on's but finding those particular little switches has been an exercise in futility up to this point...I do have some email inquiries out so I'll update when I get word back.

In the meantime, I have been looking more and more into the solid state options and the Switch-Pros system is looking like something I might implement.

kYpo3zn.jpg

It appears to be a very simple plug 'n play setup that maybe an electrical simpleton such as myself should be able to figure out. More importantly, most of the installs seem to be very clean and "factory like".

59XkTWH.jpg

What's everyone's thoughts on this type of switching system? Any experience (pos/neg)? Looking to do this alongside a dual battery install.

Thanks!

I would suggest investigating the S-POD module. Similar in cabin controls but the under the hood portion is much cleaner.

Hi all,

Been enjoying the 2018 Land Cruiser over the last week and I have begun putting together a mental list of "to-do's". Part of that list is the electrical side of things (LED bar, side lights, hidden winch, dual battery, etc) which got me to thinking about switches. Now maybe it's just me but the switch panels to the left/right of the steering wheel at the knees is just really cramped for me (I have to move my knee out of the way, lean over and look down in there to identify/push the button). Looking for another spot for a switch or two, I saw that there are some blanks in the console:

4z8t6zX.jpg

They seem to have a different design or notch to them vs the typical blanks or switches at the knees so I'm curious if there were switches for the console that someone has tried?

For the switches around the knees, I've seen quite a few recommendations including these STEDI switches which look really nice...but, don't appear to work in the console area.

Y0eNL4V.jpg

Thanks everyone!

You can’t put switches in those blank spots. I pulled all that console out and those bottom switches are basically one big electronic component (not individual switches like under the steering wheel). Kind of hard to explain without a picture, but they aren’t just blank plastic.

Appreciate the info brasskey, that saves me alot of time and effort knowing that's not an option. Really does make you wonder why that section has blanks if there never really was anything that was or could go there!?!

After more research and as some are starting to chime in, either the Switch-Pro or S-POD really seems to be the best option for what I'm wanting to achieve. I'm presently working on the wiring diagram for the dual battery system and all that goes along with it to make it the first "mod" to the truck...many thanks to this forum as I sift through pages and pages of material.

Thanks!

Either way you go, I highly recommend a solid state switch solution like SwitchPro or S-Spod. Fiddling with individual switches doesn't even begin to compare to how easy it is to wire stuff up with a solid state switch solution. If the switch panel was only wireless, it would be perfect. Though they are bluetooth connectable so you can operate your switches from your phone or tablet.

Appreciate the info brasskey, that saves me alot of time and effort knowing that's not an option. Really does make you wonder why that section has blanks if there never really was anything that was or could go there!?!

Because in Russia... (and other places I'm sure)

36087372_1735653843197665_5500950273985609728_n.jpg

Because in Russia... (and other places I'm sure)

36087372_1735653843197665_5500950273985609728_n.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I assumed those blank spots were used in other markets, but just not an easily popped in switch like under the console. It’s one entire piece under there.

Thanks for the pic. I assumed those blank spots were used in other markets, but just not an easily popped in switch like under the console. It’s one entire piece under there.

So they all are wired into some sort of plastic bank of wires im assuming?

You can’t put switches in those blank spots. I pulled all that console out and those bottom switches are basically one big electronic component (not individual switches like under the steering wheel). Kind of hard to explain without a picture, but they aren’t just blank plastic.

Wow.
They leave unusable blank buttons then??

Weird.

For the knee-level switches I use these:

https://www.aironboard.com/online/p...ota-oem-replacement-driving-lights-green.html

They fit and work perfectly, though they're a brighter LED green than the OEM switch color. AOB now apparently offers the "OEM" dull green backlight as well, though I haven't tried them:

https://www.aironboard.com/online/push-switch-9b72ng-12volt-toyota-oem-replacement-rear-lights.html

For those unused blanks in your 2018, if you tow maybe you could buy the Redarc brake controller and mount the adjustment knob in one of them. Maybe a rear/front diff locker knob in the other? ;)

Yes, it’s one big piece for all those line of switches and one connector coming out.

I bet there's a way to open that big piece and splice into the wiring harness. I don't know if its worth it but it sure would be nice to make use of dead space.

I bet there's a way to open that big piece and splice into the wiring harness. I don't know if its worth it but it sure would be nice to make use of dead space.

I'm sure there is, but they don't make it easy. One of the reasons I took it apart was to see if I could get switches in there. Also, those individual switches aren't available as I can find, much less any custom switches AOB and CH4x4 make for the more common Toyota push size under the steering wheel. The entire assembly is one piece and costs around $500 (they don't part out individual pieces in it). If you could splice in somehow, where would you get switches to fit in there for a clean look?

Control Switch - Toyota (84010-60F60) | Toyota Parts

115JaVe.png

EdenrsF.png

Last edited:
What if you ordered the part from the pic i posted above. Then figured out how to remove the old etching and put new etching in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom