Rear trim panel removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ekberger

SILVER Star
Threads
18BF7D67-FF5D-4DDC-A640-CBBB4741D266.jpeg

Does anyone have any experience removing these top (see photo) trim panels from the rear side panels of a late model 200 series? Mine is 2017. There is a second one just aft of this first top panel. They are a separate piece from the main side panel. You can gently lift it up but I cannot seem to locate or pop any attachment points.

Thanks much...

View attachment 1728270

Does anyone have any experience removing these top (see photo) trim panels from the rear side panels of a late model 200 series? Mine is 2017. There is a second one just aft of this first top panel. They are a separate piece from the main side panel. You can gently lift it up but I cannot seem to locate or pop any attachment points.

Thanks much...
Unfortunately that piece is held by a crap ton (technical term) of screws from behind. You need to remove entire side panel...

Why are you trying to remove it out of curiosity?

Last edited:
In a few hours I can post pictures of the underside. They are currently off on my rig.

Thanks both for the reply’s. The photo is actually of the right side of the car. It’s the left side that I want to get into because I want access to a plug that Slee installed that’s the DC connection to my refrigerator. I want to swap it out for an Anderson connection. The National Luna refrigerator comes standard with a Hella plug. It doesn’t stay secure in the socket and my refrigerator is constantly being disconnected and I have to keep a close eye on it. If you wiggle it, it makes contact. I tried bending the prongs and it sort of works. An Anderson connection would solve the problem. It’s just a poor connection. The problem I have is that I have a set of drawers installed and getting at the side panel is impossible w/o drawer removal. I was hoping that I could access from above. Apparently not.

Thanks both for the reply’s. The photo is actually of the right side of the car. It’s the left side that I want to get into because I want access to a plug that Slee installed that’s the DC connection to my refrigerator. I want to swap it out for an Anderson connection. The National Luna refrigerator comes standard with a Hella plug. It doesn’t stay secure in the socket and my refrigerator is constantly being disconnected and I have to keep a close eye on it. If you wiggle it, it makes contact. I tried bending the prongs and it sort of works. An Anderson connection would solve the problem. It’s just a poor connection. The problem I have is that I have a set of drawers installed and getting at the side panel is impossible w/o drawer removal. I was hoping that I could access from above. Apparently not.

That will be a challenge without a lot of disassembly. I elected to install my own drawers and run my own wiring for that reason actually. It might actually be easier to find that wire before it disappears into the back, terminate it, put a fuse block on it at the back of the drawers, then run a new wire and connector from there essential just leaving alone the existing connector. I'll see if I can find a pic of what I did.

Left side. Cup holder buried under ducting.

Let me know if you want different angles/close up pictures

A3004C87-6973-47A1-B266-069B4B7FF508.jpeg

C56250BC-D98A-4780-9E61-116CD35393A4.jpeg

681B4F2E-154D-48B9-BB1B-DB18618D639B.jpeg

C0EDA9C1-14FF-4918-B90F-2CC0408C05C2.jpeg

Right side.

B296E539-9C16-4EA5-AC8E-FB9291A1F2AA.jpeg

0DA415E2-D9A9-46F6-ABB0-BBAF002E337A.jpeg

F5F9B31A-56F3-47F3-98B3-CD438991A584.jpeg

I was going to take some pictures of the interior without panels and carpet, but I have to hook up my battery to open the hatch. Tomorrow.

I was going to take some pictures of the interior without panels and carpet, but I have to hook up my battery to open the hatch. Tomorrow.

SERIOUS FLAW is not having a way to manually open the back with the key...

Thanks for going above and beyond @HDJdreams this is really helpful. I’m glad I asked and just didn’t start ripping. If I really want in there I guess I will have to start with drawer removal. Thanks again...

Does anyone have any idea what that little plug looking thing is under the cupholder? Its electrical and I cannot find a single thing abput it even in the users manual.

Hello, could you please tell me how did you remove this 1/4 panel? Where to start? Thanks a lot!
To remove the entire large piece of trim, I started by removing the kick plate on the rear passenger door. Slowly pull the weather strip up after kick plate removal. After that, you'll start to see bolts, etc that need to come out before you can start slowly pulling trim piece from sheet metal. I can't remember if you need to remove middle row seat belt lower bolt or not, but you will see once you start.

To remove the entire large piece of trim, I started by removing the kick plate on the rear passenger door. Slowly pull the weather strip up after kick plate removal. After that, you'll start to see bolts, etc that need to come out before you can start slowly pulling trim piece from sheet metal. I can't remember if you need to remove middle row seat belt lower bolt or not, but you will see once you start.
You may find the following thread helpful as it includes some more instructions on how to do it:

Take note that on 2020/2021 Heritage Editions, there's an extra bolt to remove:

Thank you so much, I’ll try to do it this weekend. All I want to do is paint the damn panels due to so much scratches

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom