Reviving an 80 with a checkered past. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I love this forum I appreciate all who have taken the time to document all of their DIY fixes.

Onto the backstory…. This truck was donated to a church I assume running and driving but has done nothing but sit in the same parking spot for 4-5 years judging by the stickers on the dash which may not even belong to this rig. The VIN check said it was titled salvage in New Mexico in year 2000, re-titled in Louisiana, then the most recent was Georgia in 2004. It was not locked so I looked it over. It’s a 1997 with 138k on the clock, unfortunately non-locked, interior was in good shape, but it had some rust and peeling paint on the exterior.

I have been drooling over this truck for a few years now. I've been driving the same Tacoma for 12 years, can turn a wrench, and have toyed with the idea of a project ‘yota but speaking with the people at the church I could not track down any info on the truck, only that they do not have the title… Ouch.

IMAG2330.jpg

so,is it yours now? Or was there a question?

No title could be a deal breaker but cal the texas? DMV and ask about options to retitle if there are any

Forget about lockers. The rust may be a deterrent to evaluate but a 97 with under 150 is a gem.

Lemme finish! Still trying to figure out the forum.

One day I saw their maintenance guy wrenching on it attempting to get it to run, who lost interest after a few unsuccessful attempts. We spoke a few times and I got a few more bits of information. They wanted… wait for it… $1,500 for the truck, all of which would go to help out missionaries over-seas. Even in its state I was a sucker! My wife fell in love with the truck too, and negotiated it down to $1,200 (shame on her – anyone else let their wives do the hard talking?) In March we got the keys and flat-towed to my driveway on the promise that we’d pay the church after they figure out the title issue which was nice. My kids getting to watch that tow truck was priceless.

The first night after fresh motor oil, battery, and spraying some starter fluid into the air cleaner IT ROARED BACK TO LIFE!!! We were very excited. Once I got a fuel pump, filter, sock, and drained out over half a tank of foul gas that stunk up our entire cul-de-sac it would run on its own. Then I started the process of flushing the coolant, trans, gear oil, adding grease, brakes – you all know the list. I discovered the alternator was not charging while flushing, but it was simply a bad rectifier bridge to get it going again. I rented the block tester after reading so many HG issue threads because I had to know. With huge relief it passed. I ground down some of the rust spots, tried my hand at body work and rattle-canned it over. I plan on doing a proper sand and re-paint at a later date, don’t know which direction to go but I am leaning toward a white roof in this Texas heat.

I worked on it slowly and took it on (illegal) beer and parts runs for a few months, but still did not own it as the people at the church were probably just happy to get it out of their parking lot. The toughest part so far was getting the dreaded P0401. My fix was following "VSV success on my L450" thread along with un-corking and cleaning out the vac lines coming off the throttle body. The most surprising part was a simple vac/refill and the AC fired up. In early May the church handed us the paperwork needed to get the title. It passed inspection thankfully and now belongs to us. Still can’t believe it.
Since then it’s gotten new tires and I plan on getting into the font axle this weekend. I’m not too sure what the future holds for this rig but it has been an exciting ride I wanted to share with ya’ll. Thanks again!

Yeah the rust is the scary part for sure. I ground down a few pin hole through the trunk. Are there any tried and true ways to not have to re surface and paint every few years at this point? Do I need to learn to weld?

Congrats on a nice find and the work you've done to bring her back to life!

Welcome to the addiction of Mud! ...and a Mud welcome! :flipoff2:

The mods have done a fantastic job over time building the FAQ. If what you need to learn isn't there, it probably doesn't exist!

Finished? :D

Congrats and welcome :flipoff2: looks like you scored. Good job on the work you've already done. The fun stuff lies ahead.

Id try and source a new tailgate personally depending in how bad it is but you said a few holes. Grab a new liftgate and paint to match unless your lucky enough to find one in black

Haha. Thanks. I'll have to start creeping on the local pick a part yards.... I'm thinking epoxy primer until I get lucky enough to source

Last edited:
I would do a title search with DMV to se who REALLY owns this rig before spending any more time and $$$ on it.

I would do a title search with DMV to se who REALLY owns this rig before spending any more time and $$$ on it.

He already stated: "In early May the church handed us the paperwork needed to get the title. It passed inspection thankfully and now belongs to us. Still can’t believe it."

He's got the title now....

Tucked waaay down into the short story. Long process, but these beasts are a privilege to wrench on, and either way it's for charity!

He already stated: "In early May the church handed us the paperwork needed to get the title. It passed inspection thankfully and now belongs to us. Still can’t believe it."

He's got the title now....

Time to git a refund for that speed reading class I took back in....... hmmm, when was that?

Awesome... a tax deductible 80 series! Way to go brother. Now you’re learning where the real money is spent haha.

Awesome... a tax deductible 80 series! Way to go brother. Now you’re learning where the real money is spent haha.

Excellent idea. I don't know if claiming it next tax season will be white or blue collar crime, we'll see. And you're right about that. I've already paid more than the purchase price on baselining. No sweet upgrades... yet

IMAG0521.jpg
I've been practicing the zen of rust repair lately. Here is the worst carnage so far. Its along the entire length of the gutters. Anyone know how the gutters came from the factory? This one was in a rollover judging from all the bondo and hammered sheet metal, but there was a strip of silicone all along the gutter seam that appeared to act as a rust highway. We're these a leaded joint at one point with the roof skin?

Oh wow! How thick is that bondo!?!

View attachment 1744458I've been practicing the zen of rust repair lately. Here is the worst carnage so far. Its along the entire length of the gutters. Anyone know how the gutters came from the factory? This one was in a rollover judging from all the bondo and hammered sheet metal, but there was a strip of silicone all along the gutter seam that appeared to act as a rust highway. We're these a leaded joint at one point with the roof skin?

Inch thick in some places! They didn't skimp on the bondo by any means. I've almost run through 50 lbs of blast media :bang:. Got epoxy primer brushed on the bare metal while trying to figure out what to do next

Drop the headliner, 2x4 and a BFH, then white monstaliner.

Thor said he'd let me borrow it awhile.:beer:
My questions are on the damn gutter since that's where the rot's centered around. Best way to seal the seam shown in pink? And are there supposed to be any drains? I'm thinking about drilling a few as the is some welding done on mine. There are also "v" notches (circled) on both driver and passenger side located in the middle is that their purpose?
IMAG0523_1.jpg
IMAG0526_1.jpg

I got the headliner and sunroof off, working on the rest of the plastic rails. Let me know how these work stock thanks for your time!

If you mean how the rack works stock it's ok. Thing is there is likely more of the r word hiding there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom