Birfield question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

redeye

SILVER Star
Threads
hi all,
I’m knee deep into a knuckle rebuild on my 97. Currently waiting for new inner axles as the DS was scored around the oil seal.

Anyway, I've removed the DS birf from the axle. I cleaned the birf using gasoline so now it's squeaky clean. However, I'm concerned that when I repack them with grease it may not get everywhere it needs to.

1) Do I need to completely disassemble the birfield (cage, ball removal) and add grease, then reinstall the cage and balls?

2) During reinstall, is it imperative that the flat side of the birf be installed facing upwards tot he bearing cap & down to lower bearing? I didn't take note of the flat sides when I removed it. (PS side is still installed so I can take note when I remove it).

No, just pack the Birf like you'd pack a wheel bearing.

Iplaced a gob of grease in my hand, then pressed it into the bearing area, and did it about 20 more times until each time I did it, it would squeeze out about the same amount I was pushing in. You work it all the way around the bell.

No, just pack the Birf like you'd pack a wheel bearing.

Iplaced a gob of grease in my hand, then pressed it into the bearing area, and did it about 20 more times until each time I did it, it would squeeze out about the same amount I was pushing in. You work it all the way around the bell.

Perfect. Thanks.

We rarely remove the axle, repack using a grease gun with a needle (hypodermic type). Work it between the ball/cage, fills from behind, fully packs. Most of the time we don't solvent clean them, (only do it when dissembling the birf) not a fan of leaving solvent affected grease in there. When packing like this, the new grease is thicker, does a great job of pushing the old grease out.

Like this, the one we have unscrews, allowing needle change, not seeing that option:
https://www.amazon.com/Plews-05-037-Grease-Injector-Needle/dp/B000FMO6XU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom