Intro & Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, incredible resource you have all created here. I recently bought a 2000 LC100 with 195k and took a serious deep dive into this forum when considering the purchase. Paid $8900.

I'm in NW FL, and found a 100 that's never been out of the state. I doubt the 4WD has ever actually been engaged on the thing. It's in incredible shape (photos below).

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

I took it in and got a new timing belt, water pump, fuel system and transmission flush, serpentine belt, hood shocks, spark plugs, synthetic oil change, some 285 BFG ATs, double DIN Pioneer, and just got my WeatherTech mats in. This thing's a hell of a good time.

With your site I knew what I would be looking at in terms of repairs to keep this thing on the road and things to do PM-wise, and what I would be looking at in terms of cost. I've found a great mechanic in Pensacola if anyone needs a rec. Did all of the work above for right under $2000 (~$700 for the timing belt), including the tire mount (excluding cost of tires).

I do have a question: I am wanting to take the running boards off this weekend. I crawled under there last night (after reading this thread as a guide 2004 LC - Removing running boards, tips and pictures) and realized the passenger-side bolt near the front tire is gonna be a lot of fun to get off. I did some more searching this morning and ran across this thread (Remove Running Boards).

I'm far from a mechanic. I guess my question is: how careful do I need to be when handling that line? And, is it a fuel or AC line as I've seen it called both. Can I just take the piece that's protecting it off, and gently get that bolt out?

Hope this photo shows what I am talking about, it was taken on my back looking up, that's the front passenger tire, bolt hidden under this line that covered/protected:

IMG_1154.jpg

I really want to do this myself, and I am just playing it safe. Believe me I know how to use the search function, but also thought this would be a good chance to introduce myself and say thanks for the information dump you've all created here.

Also, what's the biggest tire I can put under a 100 series without a lift? Kidding!

Hoping to get those flares off next.

Great intro and first post, welcome!
The shielded lines on the passenger side are for the AC. They can be deflected a bit either way but you don't want to bend or gouge into them. I don't recall those lines as being a significant issue with removing the sliders but I'd try a wobble extension or universal joint with your sockets to get a bit of angular freedom and just play around with it so no harm is done. I'd start with that bolt and then it will be all downhill from there.
Nice truck!

OK, thanks a lot! My neighbor let me borrow his socket set and he's got all of those in there.

Should I take the shield off first? It looks like it's held in place by two nuts/bolts.

Welcome! Looks like you got the answer to your question - I would recommend a flexible u joint on your wrench to make accessing that bolt a little easier. Now whatever you do, don’t ask what the “metal thingy” is on the frame rail that you’ll discover after removing the running boards;)

Welcome! Looks like you got the answer to your question - I would recommend a flexible u joint on your wrench to make accessing that bolt a little easier. Now whatever you do, don’t ask what the “metal thingy” is on the frame rail that you’ll discover after removing the running boards;)

Don't even ask, just take it off, you won't miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom