Builds 1984 Root Beer in Vermont - Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Roughly this time last year I found my 60 out in Colorado and asked a friend to go check it out. She got back to me a couple weeks later via phone to tell me she was out test driving my truck. Around mid July I had paid for it and it was sitting at my friends house in Grand Junction CO waiting for me to fly out and pick it up. Fast forward to late November and I was in the truck driving home. Once home the truck went under cover protected from the elements for the entire winter.

As of today I have fixed the horn contact, replaced the tail light lenses, been slowly diagnosing small issues.

I've just ordered:
1. New backup light switch
2. OEM passenger side tail lens
3. New Brown driver and passenger seat belts
4. FJ62 mirrors

These first little things should get me back to road legal and State Inspection passing capable.

The next steps beyond will all be fluid changes, axle knuckle rebuilds, cleaning etc. more to come

IMG_5369-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced the backup light switch with relative ease. Simply pulled the boots from the 4wd lever and unbolted the lever. Didn’t have a 27mm wrench handy but there was enough room to loosen the switch with an adjustable. Got the electrical connector apart but then realized it was easy to unbend a wire keeper and pull the link back to the shifter opening for reassembly. Also did a continuity test on the new switch to verify function in reverse before putting it all back together

Fj62 style black mirrors are mounted and my new front seatbelts have arrived.

Took truckbin for inspection and no sticker yet. Called me out on brake pads and front wheel bearings. Not a big issue as I intended to rebuild the knuckles and will do the pads at the same time then.

Seatbelt planet. $284.90 shipped for driver and passenger front brown belts with hardware. Looks decent. Have not put them in yet. Lots of colors to choose from and about 10 days from when I ordered to when they arrived.

I was away for work and vacation for all of August. When I got back to Bradley International and got in my car to drive home I found I was suffering from a misfire condition and couldn’t boost under the turbo so it was a little tricky driving. When I got home I decided it was time to start driving the cruiser until my car is fixed.

So I now have a Vermont inspection sticker and have been driving my toy for a couple of weeks.

Ordered a bunch of small parts from rockauto including front brake pads, temp sensor, Denso oil filters, and an air filter. Also got a 5 gallon bucket of 80/90 weight.

Last weekend I changed the oil and filter using almost 8 quarts of delo 400 15w40 and a wix filter

Last night I changed the front and rear diff oils. The front full plug came out a little hard but with minimal damage. I’ll probably order some new plugs just to have. The oil coming out of the front wasn’t too dark but was nothing like the nice golden oil I put in. The rear diff oil was quite a bit darker.

I feel like the engine runs a little better and the truck drives a little quieter but I can’t really tell if that’s real or placebo effect.

Tonight I’ll try replacing my drivers side seat belt so I have a belt that will actually lock up if needed. I’ll do the passenger also if it goes quickly. Still have to drop the skid plate and change the gearbox/transfer case oil.

Overall the truck is doing well and I even hauled some boards on the roof rack last weekend. I need to fix the carb fan because hot starts suck. Truck starts right up in the morning without choke or pedal pumps. But hot starts usually require flooring the gas pedal and cranking for 5 seconds. Longer term I plan on Tbi

Also just filled the tank and 18.1 gallons for 253 miles or 13.9 mpg. Mostly 50mph driving. Some slower dirt road driving. Very little stop and go.

Little things to do:

Aftermarket steering wheel
New spare tire
Shocks

Medium things:
Rebuild front knuckles
Service steering components
New tires
Valve check
Fix carb cooling fan
Oil passage in head

Bigger or tedious tasks:
Suspension bushings or lift kit
Desmog engine
TBI install
New full exhaust
Better seats up front

Even bigger things to do:
Lift body off frame and paint frame
Clean and paint axles
Replace fuel and brake lines

Win lottery.....move higher on list.

Last edited:
Last night I replaced the rear dome light with a new one from SOR so now I have.....not one....but two properly working interior roof lights (its the simple things). I also attacked the driver's seatbelt replacement.

Step 1: remove thee 4 screws holding the plastic floor edge trim piece down:

IMG_2329-XL.jpg

Step 2: Pull back the door opening seal:
IMG_2330-XL.jpg

Step 3: Remove the screws holding the floor plastic at the rear door:
IMG_2331-XL.jpg

Step 4: Pull the Door seal back
IMG_2332-XL.jpg

Step 5: pull the B pillar lower plastic cover out of the way....should pretty much fall out. No picture

Step 6: Remove the 3 bolts that hold the retractor belt in place. 1 bolt up high on the B pillar, one bolt down low under the recoil mechanism, and one bolt on the floor just behind and under the carpet of the B pillar (follow the belt).

IMG_2335-XL.jpg

Most of the swap is pretty obvious and self explanatory. I did have to take the old bracket off the original belt and bolt it to the new belt. I luckily had a pile of bolts to sort through for this but all were too long. So for now I have two longer bolts in there so I could use the truck and I'll pick up 4 grade 8 bolts of the appropriate length today or tomorrow so I can fix the drivers side and reassemble and then do the passenger and be done.

IMG_2336-XL.jpg

IMG_2337-XL.jpg

I should also mention that I put copper anti-seize on the two bolts that mount down through the floor as they are exposed to the world on the bottom side.

Changed the transmission and transfer case oil tonight. Figured out I have a split transfer case. Also figured I should get the connector hose. Spent some time cleaning the factory skid plate but will probably end up blasting it and repainting. Also spent more time studying the frame rails and underside of the body and no rust on the body and light surface on the frame as I knew.

Forgot that when I pulled the carpet back to do the seat belt I found a penny and it was a 1984. I like to think it’s been there since 1984.

I pulled the carb cooling fan assembly out just now because the wires are broken and to hard to work on in its stock location. Giving the fan power it spins to life quietly and flowing air. There are two wires coming out of the harness. A blue with red stripe and a white I think. Also found the remains of a connector but with different wire colors. Have to do some sleuthing in the FSM tonight.

Tonight I changed the front brake pads. Probably some of the easiest and fastest pads I’ve ever changed. Got the pads from rock auto for $13.01 Centric brand and came with new pins, lock clips, and anti chatter clips.

Old pads came right out and were about 80% worn. Simply compressed the pistons and popped new pads and hardware in. Fresh copper anti seize on the lug nuts.

Bedded the pads in afterwards and they are stopping nicely however the brake pedal is no better. If I pump the pedal it’s noticeably better. So I’ll get a new brake master and change the fluid when I do.

I just ordered a new Grabber A/TX 31x10.5x15” tire to mount on my spare wheel as my spare tire was toast. I’m currently running 235/75’s so if I get s flat I’ll have to stick the spare on the front and have a little wonky steering. But I intend to buy a full set of these and am not ready to do so and didn’t want to buy another 235 if I am going to replace it in 6 months.

Starting to plan and prep for knuckle rebuilds. Need to replace the wheel bearings and it seems like it makes sense to do everything at once including new rotors given what’s all involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom