Distributor Cap and Rotor Replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fingers crossed!
Found another site with much more detail. Turns out it's DUST-PROOF rotor packing. Wow, that helps! :|

I thought you could make some marks with a paint pen or something for the distributor placement that way you could remove the dizzy, replace o-ring, and reinstall the dizzy in the same positioning by lining it up with your marks. I’m pretty sure that’s how I did it and found that somewhere on here

I thought you could make some marks with a paint pen or something for the distributor placement that way you could remove the dizzy, replace o-ring, and reinstall the dizzy in the same positioning by lining it up with your marks. I’m pretty sure that’s how I did it and found that somewhere on here

Yes, you can.

And take a couple pics of the rotor before and after pulling the dizzy.

And make sure you don't rotate the engine in between.

It is a 30 minute job if you include pulling and replacing the battery tray (which I recommend for the room!)

However, based on the level of :banana: here, the OP is wise in not taking that opportunity at this time. He has no back-up plan or people to help him fix it when he kills it. Whether he actually will or not is moot.

I just taught my neighbor to do this exact thing. He has never done mechanical stuff in his life and in the last month, he has rebuilt his front axle, front calipers, rotors, pads, hoses, and then his valve cover, spark plug tube seals, and dizzy O-Ring. I am very proud of him for taking this on and being willing to learn. I loaned him a bunch of tools, but he did it himself and he is taking pride in what HE has accomplished.

However, he also has someone to fall back on at 10:30 at night and he's not done yet and he has to get to work in the morning.......

Anyone have the right gap and torque for stock plugs TOYOTA 90919-01176?

I've seen 0.31 but dunno if that meant .031?
I've also see 0,9 and torque 28
They don't say metric or imperial...

Thanks!

Thanks!

Have you downloaded your FSM yet?

Last edited:

Thanks!

So I goofed and was excited that I'm nearing the end of a valve cover gasket change. In doing it, I'm going through the ignition and moved too quick to realize which direction the dust gasket goes in between the cap and the distributor. In the middle of the job and searched through the FSM with no clear direction. Any ideas?

One side has a proud groove and the other is flush. I could see how it could work in either direction. Which surface mates to the cap? Thanks!

EEBDAB8B-CE56-46E0-A5EE-BDB284011E95.jpeg
DC1E1559-98DF-4F1D-8BA4-83F759A7EC5F.jpeg

So I goofed and was excited that I'm nearing the end of a valve cover gasket change. In doing it, I'm going through the ignition and moved too quick to realize which direction the dust gasket goes in between the cap and the distributor. In the middle of the job and searched through the FSM with no clear direction. Any ideas?

One side has a proud groove and the other is flush. I could see how it could work in either direction. Which surface mates to the cap? Thanks!

View attachment 2495675View attachment 2495677

For those that may run into this same issue (or just need to know how to do this job), I found this video that got me the answer.

Flat side towards the distributor. Grooved side towards the cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom