Lx470 spark plug question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am going to replace the plugs on my Daughters LX 470. does anyone know if the new OEM plugs will need gaped and if so what should they e gaped at?

Plugs come gap'ed. Do not gap them as the ground electrode has a welded piece of platinum that could (will?) break. You can check them before installing. 1.1mm is the spec for a new plug. Max gap for a worn plug is 1.3mm.

Everything you always wanted to know about spark plugs but were afraid to ask:
Spark plugs Alert Alert Alert!

Go SLOW removing the old plugs and don't over-tighten the new ones putting them in.

is there a torque value i should install them at? should i use anti seize on the threads? also should i lube the threads on the old plugs as i remove them? i suppose it is easy to strip the thread Huh?

is there a torque value i should install them at? should i use anti seize on the threads? also should i lube the threads on the old plugs as i remove them? i suppose it is easy to strip the thread Huh?

If (probably when) you feel the old plug begin to bind...STOP! Squirt some penetrating oil down there and let it sit. Then SLOWLY try to turn it a bit more. Do NOT run it back down (like you would a tap). Each time it binds...STOP, use penetrating oil and then come back to it. It is very easy to gall the aluminum threads. Eventually you will get easier movement from the plug. If you rush it....you'll be putting a heli-coil in the head.

There is argument whether or not to use anti-seize and what type. I am in the 'use it' camp (sparingly) and have had good results getting plugs out later.

Yes, there is torque value...but IMO this is one of those things better done by 'feel'. Tighten enough that you can tell the crush washer has made contact and seated and leave it at that.

OK! Thanks You All for the good advice.

i replaced the plugs and coils today. i had three plugs that were a bear to get out so i took advice and used WD 40 and let them soak while i finished the rest. they finally broke free and came on out. Thanks all for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom