Material to ship a motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where can I buy-acquire a pallet, mounting bracket, straps to ship a motor to a shop?
I called a couple of places that rebuild motors and they said they re-use the materials to ship back the core.

How do I keep the motor elevated so it doesn't sit on the oil pan?

Last edited:
Make a pallet out of 2x4s and secure the engine with baling wire and rings from the hardware store. Wire is easy to tighten. Ratchet straps work well too.
Cover with a simple box made of 1/4" plywood and 1x3s.

Google "Pallet Shops" in your area...

Another thing one can do is to use an old tire on the pallet to cushion the engine and allow the pan to rest on the rubber. Then strap it down with some blocking as required to keep the engine from moving around.

OSB is $10 for a 4x8 Sheet if you have a table saw and drywall screws are cheap.
Would be real nice to make a top that can lift off and screws down.
Make sure you mark it "Do Not Stack" and put a Kids Party Hat Stapled to top.

OSB is $10 for a 4x8 Sheet if you have a table saw and drywall screws are cheap.
Would be real nice to make a top that can lift off and screws down.
Make sure you mark it "Do Not Stack" and put a Kids Party Hat Stapled to top.

I don't have a table saw.

Another thing one can do is to use an old tire on the pallet to cushion the engine and allow the pan to rest on the rubber. Then strap it down with some blocking as required to keep the engine from moving around.

Now, we're getting somewhere here. Good idea about the tire

Search pallets on your local Craigslist, you can usually find them for free. Then +1 on the old tire (can also usually find those for free). Then use "pipe hanger" (AKA plumbers strap) to screw everything down on to the pallet. I've shipped a couple motors like that and had good results.

Go buy an engine storage stand from harbor freight and attach the to a standard pallet.

I'm not talking about an engiee stand like you use to rebuild. It's more like a square box.

Go buy an engine storage stand from harbor freight and attach the to a standard pallet.

I'm not talking about an engiee stand like you use to rebuild. It's more like a square box.

That's a good idea. I found this on a search, but it fits a Ford/Chevy. How would I line up the bolts holes for my motor? I don't see any specific for Toyota.

Engine cradle.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pics of a palletized 1HZ I got last year. Basically it's a standard pallet you can grab from behind Lowes or somewhere, with a 2x4 frame around it. Ratchet straps and cables hold it upright, and there are glued-up "chocks" around the pan to prevent sliding or tipping.

IMG_5238.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG
IMG_5234.JPG
IMG_5226.JPG

Sorry, didn't know if they came with adapter plates or not on the stand.

How about a ciuplc tires stacked, a couple garbage bags and fill the garbage bags with spray foam to secure the engine in place, then band it all down. Make sure the oil pan doesn't hit bottom when on the tires.

Search pallets on your local Craigslist, you can usually find them for free. Then +1 on the old tire (can also usually find those for free). Then use "pipe hanger" (AKA plumbers strap) to screw everything down on to the pallet. I've shipped a couple motors like that and had good results.

When you stacked the motor on top of the tires, how did you keep the tire from compressing so much the oil pan would hit the pallet?

Excellent picture!! Any idea of what those "glue on chocks" look like?
Looks like Gorilla glue to me. Kinda foamy, but hard as a rock. Should mention that all the 2x4's attached to the pallet were glued and screwed together. Was quite a chore to take it all apart. I kept all the materials because I'll use it to ship out my 2F after the swap.

I have shipped a couple, always welding up brackets the mount to the same engine mount locations out of scrap metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom