My 1985 BJ70 JDM RHD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.zhengfoodtruck.com
Well, here she is in all her glory!
I picked it up a few weeks ago from a member here on IH8MUD and am very happy with it's condition.
Thought I would start a build thread to record the progress.
Lots of things on the list to do before she is trail worthy, but that's part of the fun.

Specs:
1985 Toyota Landcruiser BJ70 JDM RHD
3B Diesel Non Turbo
H55 - 5 speed manual transmission
This model has a full floating rear axle, push button 4x4 (with manual locking hubs of course) and a factory PTO winch. PTO winch works great.

Plans are to build a nice little trail/camping/exploring rig for me and my son.

It's completely stock and the stock springs are in pretty bad shape.
Next week I'll have time to get the OME Ultimate kit installed that I got from Cruiser Outfitters installed.

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG-2950.JPG

The wheels are also too rusted out for my liking, so I picked up 5 new OEM FJ40 steels wheels
from Cruiser Corps and a set of 33x10.5R15 BFG KM3's.

IMG-3002.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

View attachment 1727363

Last edited:
Wheels too rusted out? The whole truck looks to be in fantastic condition, regarding lack of rust.

Love the two tone colors. Any other mods planned-gears?

Wheels too rusted out? The whole truck looks to be in fantastic condition, regarding lack of rust.

Love the two tone colors. Any other mods planned-gears?

Thanks it's been a fun build,

These are the new FJ40 wheels I got from Cruiser Corps, the chrome OEM wheels are real bad.
It's in pretty good condition, a little rust but not a huge deal.

I have a 14 year old, so I'm putting in a 3rd bucket seat and belt at the moment.

Gears, Locker, small turbo would all be nice. LOL

Thanks for checking it out.

I have a 14 year old, so I'm putting in a 3rd bucket seat and belt at the moment.

My CDM '85 BJ70 had two shoulder belts in the rear for the bench seat. Did yours have a different set up?

^^^Until about 10 years ago, Japanese law didn't require rear passengers to wear seatbelts.

^Interesting. In that case, probably no anchor point to retrofit shoulder belts from other world market 70 series.

Update:

Made a plywood sub floor and covered it with rubber gym flooring.

lilblue008.jpg

Then added a 3rd bucket seat for my son to come on small local trips with me and the wife.
I can remove the seat pretty easily if he decides he doesn't want to tag along.

lilblue010.jpg

I also upgraded my awning brackets, OEM awning brackets had too much flex in them.

lilblue012.jpg

Yesterday, I installed a Front Runner fold down table.

lilblue013.jpg

lilblue014.jpg

Looks great! How tall is the top of the tent when folded down? My BJ70 is on the sagging stock springs and I will put on the OME suspension kit this winter. I'd love a roof top tent but my garage door is only 7'.

Looks great! How tall is the top of the tent when folded down? My BJ70 is on the sagging stock springs and I will put on the OME suspension kit this winter. I'd love a roof top tent but my garage door is only 7'.

The highest point on the tent is only 9 inches.

Here is a picture of it closed.

lilblue016.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom