Stripped a bolt and need help...suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I stripped the stud bolt on the upper rear shock mount
20180620_191419_resized.jpg
20180620_191452.jpg
. Any suggestions on how to move forward with a fix?

cut it out of the cross member and replace with a donor

re thread a size smaller

cut off threaded section. then drill and tap inside threads in the remaining section.

Try running the same size die over the stud being careful not to cross thread the good part.
You might have enough thread to hold a new nut and with the cotter pin it might work.
That would be the easiest way.
The best and right way would be replace the stud.
Seeing as how you have open access from the top I shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks for the drawing. I sent it over to a machine shop buddy of mine. Hopefully this is something he can make for me. Do you have any idea how tight (ft/lb) the shock nut should be set to? I was tightening it down enough to get the cotter pin in and the threads let loose and stripped. I have a feeling the other side might do the same thing.

They had aftermarket ones, at one time. No more?

Thanks for the drawing. I sent it over to a machine shop buddy of mine. Hopefully this is something he can make for me. Do you have any idea how tight (ft/lb) the shock nut should be set to? I was tightening it down enough to get the cotter pin in and the threads let loose and stripped. I have a feeling the other side might do the same thing.

32 ft lbs shown here: Misc Torque Specs - Use at your own risk! (FAQ)

Even that may be a little excessive on 40 year old threads since it bottoms on a shoulder and has a cotter pin.

Mig Weld a few Beads with generous Wire Feed Setting

Dremmle tool down , the Re-Thread with The Proper thread pitch Die

Considered a thread restoration file? I'd start with the spot for the hole of the cotter pin. If your shock washer facilitates three complete turns on a new nut, then you be the judge.

Cjonezy,

I have an old frame I can cut one off for you for free if you just pay the shipping.

Cjonezy,

I have an old frame I can cut one off for you for free if you just pay the shipping.
Thank you for the offer. You are the essence of this website!

I have a machine shop buddy who is going to make a couple for me.

Just curious, any chance that that is a stud that is screwed into the shock mount? If so, may be able to Kroil, heat, Kroil stud out and insert new one. Hard to tell if it is one piece that has been died down to size.

Howdy Keep in mind that there is a possibility the nut was not original and it sat too high to get the Cotter pin in. So if the Net was wider than the original it may have had to be tighter. In the past I have always got mine hand tight in about a half turn to a full turn past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom