ARB bumper install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
Just finished up installing a new ARB bumper on my 60. Couple of questions for anyone who recently has done this.

The instructions say to use 1/2"x2" bolts to attach the ARB brackets to the trucks outrigger. This is where the spacer are used. Only problem my hardware kit has only 1/2" x 1 3/4" bolts. Annndddddddddddd...they don't reach thru the hole. Frustrating after spending over 900.00 that they can't get the hardware straight. Looks to me like someone made logistical decision to average the size of the 1/2 inch bolts. So instead of x amount of 1/2x1.5" bolts and x amount of 1/2"x2" bolts the just ordered all 1/2"x1.75" bolts for the kit.

Also can anyone explain why I need to drill a 10mm hole to put the 10mm bolt thru the uprights as I have already bolted the uprights with (2) 1/2" bolts on each side where there were pre-drilled holes?

Finally and this is just me being dumb...the instructions say to "wire" the indicator lights. Refering to the amber lights that look like marker lights in the bumper. I assume they are turn signal indicators? Not marker lights?

Last edited:
here is the pic of the bolt w/out any washers or cut washer.

20180620_091157.jpg

They are turn signals. On my 62, the bumper made it hard to see the factory turn signals.

39498331374_4a0cec18ae_o.jpg

They are turn signal lights. Not an issue for the FJ60. Also they will with a customized mount that you would have to do, fit a set of Hella FF75's

I had to do the same for the bolts, I figured it was due to the the bumper being for the 60/62 and possibly something different with the AU 6x's
As for the 2 10mm holes, I was under the impression it was to create a point of reference for later if you ever remove the bumper so you do not have to realign it.

You don’t have any pics of just the mounting brackets on the truck without the bumper on, do you? I’ve never been able find out what they look like and how they mount in my searches. Just curious. Thank you!

You don’t have any pics of just the mounting brackets on the truck without the bumper on, do you? I’ve never been able find out what they look like and how they mount in my searches. Just curious. Thank you!

here's the pics that came with the instructions. The lighter area is the frame and the darker is the bracket. The top and bottom of the square part get 2 bolts each. Then on the right side of this image the spacers and two more 2" bolts go. See my next post.

upload_2018-6-20_14-32-39.png

Called the company that sold me the bumper "4 Wheel Parts" an ARB supplier. No help. Haven't heard back from their installer. Figures.
@cruiseroutfit Kurt, do you guys know about the issue with the bolts not reaching? Do you supply longer bolts? What's your take on the 10mm bolts?

They are turn signal lights. Not an issue for the FJ60. Also they will with a customized mount that you would have to do, fit a set of Hella FF75's

I had to do the same for the bolts, I figured it was due to the the bumper being for the 60/62 and possibly something different with the AU 6x's
As for the 2 10mm holes, I was under the impression it was to create a point of reference for later if you ever remove the bumper so you do not have to realign it.

You have any photos of those Hellas mounted up?

You don't want to use the ARB bolts anyway. Even if they did fit. They'll eventually rust and get gross.
Replace all the bolts with the correct length stainless steel bolt. You're going to have to do it eventually. Might as well do it right the first time.

Called the company that sold me the bumper "4 Wheel Parts" an ARB supplier. No help. Haven't heard back from their installer. Figures.
@cruiseroutfit Kurt, do you guys know about the issue with the bolts not reaching? Do you supply longer bolts? What's your take on the 10mm bolts?

Yes, we modify the fit kits of a variety of such applications to include the needed hardware.

You don't want to use the ARB bolts anyway. Even if they did fit. They'll eventually rust and get gross.
Replace all the bolts with the correct length stainless steel bolt. You're going to have to do it eventually. Might as well do it right the first time.

What about tensile strength? I picked up some stainless 1/2 inch hex head bolts at lowes. They are ASTM F593C. Typically ss is not as strong as carbon steel right? The ARB kit comes with grade 8 bolts. The Warn winch winch says use class 8.8 metric (grade 5) or better.

The issue that stainless has is that it likes to gall such that a nut might go on but may never come off. A good alternative are the chromed steel bolts and use plenty of anti-seize when you put them together. I prefer the copper anti seize to the silver but either work well. Use acorn nuts or lock washers

And yes SS has a lower tensile yield strength than carbon steel. It does depend on the alloy as there are multiple common SS alloys though the department store bolts are likely not a crazy fancy alloy. A SS bolt is going to hold the bumper on fine. If you are doing a lot of extreme winching I would want to sit down and run some numbers to make sure i wasn’t going tonwinch my bumper off

Last edited:
The tensile strength of one 1/2" 316 stainless steel bolt is 70,000 lbs. There's at least 8 of those clamping the bumper to the flimsy frame outcrops. In a head on collision, the bumper will crush against the front of the car regardless of what bolts are used. During winching, there's no way in hell you're going to shear off 8 bolts with a dinky 12,000 lb winch (that doesn't pull 12,000 lbs).

Just one 1/2" stainless steel bolt is way stronger than necessary for winching. Look at the hardware on a snatch block. Just one steel pin is holding your whole car.

I'm cool with the stainless bolts. Yes I was thinking more about winching (and looking at the beast of a winch going on) Probably the best real life test is to bolt everything up and let the winch pull the truck, level ground first then up a grade. Making sure no one is in the way just in case something flies loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom