Trim removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
7A0728E3-1225-4FC2-88F5-07FBD0D4019B.jpeg
i want to remove the trim on my Cruiser. Is there likely to be paint damage underneath or will I just have to clean it well.

A95336E3-8299-41DD-992C-7D4A36BB07D9.jpeg

If you are talking about the wheel arch trim, expect some damage. You can expect some rub-through at the back doors. Also some clearcoat damage where dirt has gotten under the rubber seals. But... If you go through with removing them, you'll like it better even with the blemishes that you will with the trim.

You can easily touch up the white. The big auto parts stores will have the white paint on the rack. The gold color you'll have to search MUD or go to the dealer to find a paint code.

Thank you, Dwight. I want it solid white so I guess I will get some color matching spray paint and tape off the paint damage. I’m picking her up tomorrow. Hopefully I can afford to repaint sometime soon.

Any issues with removing the belt line trim? I assume its glued and will just need to be cleaned once removed. Any imput on that?

There are connectors holding the horizontal trim pieces.

One trick is the use pliers to twist the connectors 90 degrees so they can be removed. But the trim will pop off and the connectors (most of em) will remain in the vehicle.

There is a thread about painting tjat has pics of the process.

There are connectors holding the horizontal trim pieces.

One trick is the use pliers to twist the connectors 90 degrees so they can be removed. But the trim will pop off and the connectors (most of em) will remain in the vehicle.

There is a thread about painting tjat has pics of the process.
Bag of 15 new belt trim clips cost me $13 on Amazon. I don't see any easy way of getting the trim off without breaking more than a few. Also, the trim is held on at the top and bottom edges by two-sided tape, you will need to clean that off. Since it is old and crusty, it does not let go of the paint easily.

Here in Central Oregon we use manzanita to remove the trim, just look for overgrown trails:

IMG_20180317_184540.jpg

It's a vicious plant, so just proceed slowly forward, do your best to ignore the shrieks of pain from your paint, and voila:

IMG_20180318_153113.jpg

I'm not going to remove the belt trim yet. The rockers are painted gold anyway so I will just wait until I get it painted to remove that. Fender trim should be gone in the next couple of days.

Bag of 15 new belt trim clips cost me $13 on Amazon. I don't see any easy way of getting the trim off without breaking more than a few. Also, the trim is held on at the top and bottom edges by two-sided tape, you will need to clean that off. Since it is old and crusty, it does not let go of the paint easily.

@gatormark91 do you an Amazon link for what you bought you would share?

I've used this company for all my color mach and touch-up needs. The colors a mixed to order so they aren't just sitting around on a shelf and every color I've used has been spot on. I've used it on both my Tacoma (Timberland Mica green) and also my cruiser which uses two different green variants on the bumpers and trim and on the base of the vehicle.

Toyota Touch Up Paint | AutomotiveTouchup

Thanks, @ERMB. Someone else recommended this supplier also so I’m sold and will place an order from these guys. Do you have an idea of what volume might be sufficient to cover the LC side trim? I’ve got Champagne Pearl and will be painting both side mouldings to match the body (doing away with two tone). 2 16oz spray cans? Thanks!

Last edited:
I prefer @cruzerDave method. Much more cost effective and also easier to justify other mods to the CEO.

Thanks, @ERMB. Someone else recommended this supplier also so I’m sold and will place an order from these guys. Do you have an idea of what volume might be sufficient to cover the LC side trim? I’ve got Champagne Pearl and will be painting both side mouldings to match the body (doing away with two tone). 2 16oz spray cans? Thanks!

I did an entire steel plate front bumper on my Tacoma in side and out with four cans and was very liberal with my application. I think two cans will be plenty and then some for other little projects that pop up. Also don't forget a can of clear as well. I recommend 3/4 light coats of clear to come close to matching the vehicles finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom