So I tried this cheap ass carb... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
I have my mustard 12/78 40 waiting it's turn to be restored. It was running but pretty crappy. It's gonna be a while before I start the resto but I've been thinking I may start driving her with all her patina. But figured I would rebuild the oem carb. It's already been semi half assed desmoged, so I bought a rebuild kit.
Fast forward to last week... Im browsing Amazon and see this carb for my 78 for 106 bucks!
Partol Carburetor Engines Replace Carb for 1969-1987 Toyota Land Cruiser 2F 4230cc FJ40 engine, 21100-61012, 21100-61050, 201055772420 - Manual Choke https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0787YHKQ7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_d-9WAbXKHDH7Z

I figure what the hell.

I installed it... It bolted right up. Ran the one vacuum line to the advance on the dizzy, capped the other lines, turned the key, waited until fuel hit it and bam! Puurs like a kitten!!! wth???!!

Drove it up and down the block a few times and it runs really nice!

Anyhoo, just thought I would throw this out there for anyone it may help.

I will eventually rebuild the OEM carb, but for now I'm really happy!!!

cheers!

Good to know I saw that as well. I tried to teach my kid how to rebuild the small engine carbs on lawn tractor and push mower but you can't even find carb kits to rebuild them any more when they sell the whole carb for the cost of a rebuild kit or less and then you factor in the time it takes to rebuild one. It pays to just buy the cheap carb and replace after a few years. My first 70 model FJ40 in the shop is his we need to get it road worthy too.

Good to know I saw that as well. I tried to teach my kid how to rebuild the small engine carbs on lawn tractor and push mower but you can't even find carb kits to rebuild them any more when they sell the whole carb for the cost of a rebuild kit or less and then you factor in the time it takes to rebuild one. It pays to just buy the cheap carb and replace after a few years. My first 70 model FJ40 in the shop is his we need to get it road worthy too.
I found the same thing. Was planning to show my teenager how to rebuild a lawn mower carb and when I did some research, found I could buy a replacement carb for under $30 and just swap it. No need to futz with floats and needle valves, etc.

Since a carb rebuild didn't make economic sense, I had him rebuild a front brake caliper on my old BMW instead. Still cheaper to do that than buy a rebuilt one. He whined about it, but he's not leaving my house not knowing how to turn a wrench. Told him there's no iPhone app for that, and to just put on a pair of nitrile gloves, grab the FSM and do it - and if he found himself stuck, he could pull up youtube.

I have my mustard 12/78 40 waiting it's turn to be restored. It was running but pretty crappy. It's gonna be a while before I start the resto but I've been thinking I may start driving her with all her patina. But figured I would rebuild the oem carb. It's already been semi half assed desmoged, so I bought a rebuild kit.
Fast forward to last week... Im browsing Amazon and see this carb for my 78 for 106 bucks!
Partol Carburetor Engines Replace Carb for 1969-1987 Toyota Land Cruiser 2F 4230cc FJ40 engine, 21100-61012, 21100-61050, 201055772420 - Manual Choke https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0787YHKQ7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_d-9WAbXKHDH7Z

I figure what the hell.

I installed it... It bolted right up. Ran the one vacuum line to the advance on the dizzy, capped the other lines, turned the key, waited until fuel hit it and bam! Puurs like a kitten!!! wth???!!

cheers!

Pretty interesting. Looks very similar to the one I bought from CityRacer

The only thing I had to swap over was the plastic housing on the idle solenoid with the one from my OEM carb. The OEM one is a bit bigger but still male.

I figure what the hell.

cheers!

Looks very interesting, but claim back to 69 would not be just a easy bolt on and got. Thru 73 model used a cable for the throttle. 74 used the clamp style connection for the air cleaner. Not sure when the distributor changed from vauum retard to vacuum advance. Have a earlier cruiser with a 2F other modifying to a cable (which it currently has) should be easy to adapt. The air cleaner on a F engine might be more challenging then the throttle.

I started out in 2003 with a Weber 34/34 progressive, last year tried a Trollhole and now have an 77 Aisan non-usa which is giving me the best top end power of the three. I had an automatic choke on the Weber and now a manual, also had a cable and now mechanical linkage. In my opinion OEM is the best for a FJ40.

Addendum: I bought the Aisan used on eBay for $125.

Last edited:
Wow, what a price. I purchased an OEM one for my 1969 over 10 years ago and spent over 300.00. Thanks for the post.

Wow, what a price. I purchased an OEM one for my 1969 over 10 years ago and spent over 300.00. Thanks for the post.

Somewhere I have a 3/69-9/69 two barrel carburator I've had since the early nineties. At some point picked up the correct air cleaner, which I have no clue when. Figure when I find the carb will rebuild and run it in my 68 which is the same F145. If I have $20 into both I would be surprised. Didn't realize as long as ten years ago parts were that expensive.

Somewhere I have a 3/69-9/69 two barrel carburator I've had since the early nineties. At some point picked up the correct air cleaner, which I have no clue when. Figure when I find the carb will rebuild and run it in my 68 which is the same F145. If I have $20 into both I would be surprised. Didn't realize as long as ten years ago parts were that expensive.

John, if your carb has the solenoid, I would like to buy it— I just need the solenoid no biggie will buy the carb too

Looks very interesting, but claim back to 69 would not be just a easy bolt on and got. Thru 73 model used a cable for the throttle. 74 used the clamp style connection for the air cleaner. Not sure when the distributor changed from vauum retard to vacuum advance. Have a earlier cruiser with a 2F other modifying to a cable (which it currently has) should be easy to adapt. The air cleaner on a F engine might be more challenging then the throttle.

Hmmm so I should be wary buying this for my 71 which has a Weber as we speak?

I figure what the hell.

cheers!

...link goes to a carb for Volkswagon air cooled engine, at least on my computer.

I had one of the cheap Chinese carbs on my 73 when i bought it. The accelerator plunger went bad (previous owner had it sitting out in the Arizona heat for a long time) so i just ordered a new one for about $100 and installed it in about 15 minutes.....adjusted it and off I went....runs great!

Partol Carburetor Engines Replace Carb for 1969-1987 Toyota Land Cruiser 2F 4230cc FJ40 engine, 21100-61012, 21100-61050, 201055772420 - Manual Choke Amazon product ASIN B0787YHKQ7
I figure what the hell.

cheers!
This really helps as I am in the same situation. I’ll report back on this thread after I do the install.

Thanks

Bob

when i bought my 40 the guy had one of these unknown cheap $99 carbs on there, said it ran better than the oem one, which i doubted .... i thought i would rebuild the oem but i've never had a single issue with the cheap carb, i have a CR Fuji japan carb in the box but...hate to mess with it. my 40 sits for months at a time and never fails to start right up with 3 pumps on the pedal

I have also run a couple of these carbs with great success. Bought another one for less than $100 just to have a spare on hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom