13Bt runs kinda hot eh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anyone know if there is more then one thermostat for the 13BT?
I am running a mechanical water temp gauge and the temp seems to always live in that 190 to 200 f range
was thinking possibly in some markets they might have installed a cooler thermostat like a 180
thoughts?

If the temp is stable, thats good. I would try and verify if the temperature is accurate, the gauge might be 15-20 degrees out.

your right i should double check the gauge accuracy
the temps are stable but when working hard shows 210 f on a hot day

20180617_192453.jpg

210 and stable towing on a hot day is ok. A pressurised system boils at higher temperatures. But I would be using a 20/50 oil as. . My 1 HZ sits on 95-100c on a hot day at 110klms

ok so just pulled from 330 meters to 1260 meters above sea level its +30 c and the temp just touched 210 according to gauge

I will double check my gauge accuracy

just wondering if a cooler T stat was used in hotter countries then Canada?

just wondering if a cooler T stat was used in hotter countries then Canada?

I just checked the parts diagram. The thermostat for the GEN market 13BT begins to open at 82c and is fully open at 95c. There are 2 part numbers but they are for 84-88 part # 90916-03066 and 88-89 part #90916-03077 and they both have the same temp specs.

The EURO and JAPAN market t/stat begins to open at 88c and are fully open at 100c part # 90916-03059

Someone told me they use to work in the test bed section at Landrover and they regularly ran their engines at 120c for long periods to simulate driving in hot climates with no problems. Just for some perspective.

yep a cooler one was used in Aust well on 12ht's anyway, my import hj61 12ht from japan had the higher temp thermostat swapped to the lower one for Aust conditions.

I used to have stable but higher temps than desired. Towing etc.

I found my coolant was a little too strong. Water is better at transferring heat. But of course we need not to freeze. But the coolant doesn't need to be -50 or more strength.

It's summer, drain a bit of your coolant and top it up with water. Check it with a coolant tester. Try a little weaker mix.

ok thanks for checking that out rosco
according to my gauge even going downhill for a long time it never driops below 190
so hopefully its just a little out of line

brownbear thanks for the tip I have a feeling it could be a pretty stiff batch of coolant in there I will alao check that out

according to my gauge even going downhill for a long time it never driops below 190

My 1HZ, coasting downhill for 2-3 klms brings the engine coolant temp down to under 60c from 85-90c on the flat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom