Builds Shipwreck (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mocking tow bar in place
sSaFfzu.jpg

Fun weekend.... After discussion with a friend who drove the '40 this weekend, we decided that the smittybilt inclinometer doesn't work for '40s. I pegged it in all 4 directions and couldn't roll it. We decided it was designed for Jeeps (because it has a Jeep stick drawing on the gauge), not '40s
temp driver
kvZPPBM.jpg

vaN1brU.jpg

OvXdvDx.jpg

VEZmkKU.jpg

How did all your changes work out? Sorry I could not get over the pass this weekend. I did make it to Evans Creek on Saturday, though. No bear, but we almost ran a deer over. :)

I almost ran a Pathfinder over. I sure keep my guardian angels busy. I was coming down from Stevens Pass, another car was flashing it's lights at me, I lifted, came around a corner and there was a f**king idiot trying to turn around on highway 2 in the middle of my lane.

Moron had missed his turn and rather then drive just a bit further and turn around where it's safe... yeah, moron. Praising God, though, for the other driver flashing his lights.... despite the idiots, there are good people too.

and nary a snicker at the Jeep joke.... tough crowd.

I laughed - I’m just playing catch up.

Although the angles you had your truck at make me cringe!

I laughed - I’m just playing catch up.

Although the angles you had your truck at make me cringe!

It's almost like I know what I'm doing when I build suspensions :grinpimp:

the latest on that front is people have the most difficult time getting their heads around the sway bar tying the two, rear lower arms together :worms:

For those who remember back - I traded a trailer for the axles that are under this rig.
ceVSOiR.jpg

there were some who didn't think it was a good deal. They're no longer following along, and since this is going to be a quick build, I'll simply put it here

I finally simply bought new, 3500# axles, all in I'll have $900 in this build - I bought the channel about the time I traded the trailer, that set me back $100 for 7 20' 2x3 channel....
it's going to be 6x16 - it may actually tilt, to be honest I haven't quite decided. It will have running boards and fenders I can drive over. As I am awash in Jeep wheels (5 on 5), that is what is going on it
jnJ5gT9.jpg

and I'm going to build another trailer once this one is done then one more.... when we move, I'm going to move using 20' shipping containers. According to Evergreen, they weigh 5000 lbs dry so this trailer just won't be enough

It's almost like I know what I'm doing when I build suspensions :grinpimp:

That makes one of us! Glad it’s you. I don’t have terrain to get the truck that sideways in MD unless I drive it up a building.

So what’s the story with the sway bars? Honestly suspension geometry has always been a bit intimidating but I’d be interested to know why you did it. I don’t know enough to give you a hard time about it! Obviously, what you’re doing works so who am I to judge?

let's give some comparables....first, Steve's FJ40 on the same spot
e5LR2My.jpg

and mine
ArlVZdh.jpg

VEZmkKU.jpg

no drama at all
another friend in his CJ5
K4rMJ5k.jpg

fKFWLVS.jpg

the guy taking the pictures called my '40 boring - he's not not wrong. On that run, I was intentionally trying to find a line where I'd slip

the rear is a double triangulated 4 link. The lower bars are tied together with a sway bar I bought and modified (originally from a Ford truck). It ties the rear, lower bars together thus making the back the bit that keeps the body parallel with the rear axle. In a 4x4 there's some pretty big advantages, not the least of which is it's far easier to package - the other thing it does is make it far easier to drive on the freeway since the rear being level lets the front only do the work of steering.

suspensions are easy. the one that seems most difficult for some is the idea of instant center and most relevant here is instant center. When you stomp the gas, where does the weight go? in all cases in a rwd car, the tires turn, the rear end tries to lift the pinion and then other things happen. Instant center tells you where the car is being lifted. It's found by simply drawing a line following the lower bars and another following the upper bars. Where they meet is the instant center (if they meet). If it is in front of the car, the rear squats (basically unloading the rear tires), if it's right at the axle, it'll spin like a pickup truck on ice and/or the body and the axle separate (giving you the feeling the car is being lifted). My vehicle lifts just at the flywheel and just below the flywheel. the advantage of where I put that is the entire weight of the car is pushing down on the rear tires. Ever wonder how the Austin Gassers get down the track without flipping? they lift right above the water pump.... people build longer wheelbase vehicles to get the traction effect - and it does work, but with all the downsides of having a longer wheel base.

Of course, you can also play with where that point is depending on what you're doing with the vehicle. For example, you may want a bit of separation to put more weight on the front wheels (mud racers do this) or to move your center of gravity to depend on throttle position.... this really is where racing is won and lost - he who knows suspensions can make car do amazing things. As Colin Chapman (Lotus guy) said, HP makes you faster in a straight line, less weight (or in the case, judiciuous placement of that weight) makes you faster everywhere else. I run Corvettes and days where we're out with the Lotuses (and some extent Miatas) is an amazing illustration of this - the Loti own the corners, the Corvettes turn the Loti inside out on the straights (it's easier to block in a corner so I go with HP, but that doesn't guarantee a win because the podium is owned by neither groups).

anyway, I digress, when you go wheeling ask yourself "if I had 300 lbs, where would I put it to make this run easier?" Once you figure out what you want to do, the math is easy.

In all fairness I was trying to straddle the gully and had the rear slip out in the mud. That is a tricky hill that tests your tipping point. Notice that jeep appears to exceed 45 degrees. Assuming the camera was level I measured 46... I am sure it is a bit easier when dry, but it sure was fun :).

In all fairness I was trying to straddle the gully and had the rear slip out in the mud. That is a tricky hill that tests your tipping point. Notice that jeep appears to exceed 45 degrees. Assuming the camera was level I measured 46... I am sure it is a bit easier when dry, but it sure was fun :).
I pegged my inclimeter in all directions in that hill. What was fun - there was a TJ that was going the opposite direction and tried to straddle the ruts. He needed another inch or so of travel to make it across - his solution was both clever and caused more then a little derision - he got his woman to sit on a corner of his Jeep to get out of the hole. It worked.... I'm not sure his girlfriend is ever going to forgive him for that, though :D

Funny, though, I have another picture of him where you had the tire in the air and it was even further over. Passenger's head was behind the steering wheel, driver's torso was out of the rig.... he still uses it as his avatar... I haven't found where I saved it, but I'll post it if I ever find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom