Builds Fly By Night (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drilled out the oil cooler banjo bolt (or whatever you want to call it) mystery threads (British Standard?) to 1/4” tapered NPT. Drilled down about 3/4”, threaded about 1/2”.
Get this put together when I get home.

BB33E068-0F65-4B51-807C-0BE20CBA9AD9.jpeg

E62BDBBA-7B2B-45D5-A5CD-FA1532527EB4.jpeg

E98E6D8F-9B34-491F-A362-D19D1FDED7C5.jpeg

AEA26018-4874-476D-9EEF-E9F242D34D99.jpeg

No, didn’t move battery, but am going to re-mount my aux battery on the left using an OEM battery holder. Won’t be able to tackle that job until after the Party.

Your sliders look better than mine ;)

So the Pig Party was eye opening in many ways. So many restored and fantastic resto-modded rigs. I’m definitely motivated to get some serious work accomplished. There’s always so much to be done that sometimes it’s hard to know where to start. My rig doesn’t have good restoration potential, and it does get used for wheeling purposes, though the rougher rock-crawling days are pretty much over.
Anywho, things are gonna be happening soon.

Yes it does have some of those qualities, but I have done some cutting on the rear quarters, rockers, and fenders as well as some steering and suspension mods that deviate enough from stock to make it a really good candidate, plus I just like the look of that reduced sheet metal. But I think I’m down for doing some resto-modding

So, got most of the front end apart, working towards a removal of the inner fender/core support. Looking to completely clean it up and add in the aux battery mounting. During removal of the lower fenders and blower assembly, noticed a lot of the factory usage of open cell foam for gasket/seal material, as well as being on the actual face plates of the vent doors. What have been some of the solutions for updating these areas? Gotta be nearly certain nobody makes this stuff, or would even consider using an open cell foam for resealing.(?)
Besides that, wondering if anyone has any templates for making replacement firewall insulation, as well as door panels and cargo panels. I tried measuring one time and failed pretty miserably. If anyone were able to make a template from existing panels, that would be a fantastic thing.

Somewhere I do have templates for the cargo panels. There's also a vendor here on site and on EBay selling the complete set for about $500 and the doors only for around $300 when on sale. I'll see if I can uncover the templates. The firewall insulation panel is often available here and on EBay also and usually not too expensive.
Sounds like a couple of days at the Pig Party really inspired you to get back at your already impressive FJ55.

Yes, the party was definitely a catalyst. Trying to split the work up into sections, but some are creeping into the others. Want to keep it movable and drivable as much as possible through the process, but I foresee at least one or two stints where she’ll have to stay put until I get stuff done. When the doors, windshield and cargo windows come out for the interior coating and painting process, it’ probably be down for a month or two.
That will be after this front clip project.

I have always thought it would be cool to be able to sit or stand on the hood. I had a girlfriend who looked really good sunbathing on the hood and front windsheild- really good. Was it worth it to have to pound out the dents? I think so. It would be so much better if it was designed so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom